Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    In it there's a scene in which the children are asked which parent they want to live with and they say they'd like to live with an uncle (or someone like that).

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    The only film that comes to mind is Child in the House, played by Mandy Miller.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Was Janette Scott in it ?

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    The only film that comes to mind is Child in the House, played by Mandy Miller.
    No, it's not that...definitely two children, as opposed to one. Though Child In The House does sound like a film worth tracking down

Liked
    80 times
    Well, this has two children and a divorce in it, also made in black and white, I think:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046472/

E.

Liked
    1 times
    Then, maybe this is it.

I've ordered a copy from amazon and will report back. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Many thanks for all the help.

Liked
    103 times
    Could be this....

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0045532/

In post-war London, upper-middle class barrister John Lomax and his wife Barbie decide after several years of constant bickering to divorce. They underestimate the effect of their announcement on their three children, who assume that family friend Bill Ogden is to blame. Uncle Bill may indeed be waiting in the wings, but it's all hardly his fault.

Or this....

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0043860/

Excellent movie about the effect divorce has on a child.In this day and age,with people divorcing all over the place,it looks dated but still a powerhouse performance from Janette Scott who was 10 years old then. It must be one of first movies dealing with child trauma and therapy,also introducing modern,at the time, methods of dealing with child-neuroses. Well directed and photographed,all the cast does a good job but special notice to child actor Brian Smith who plays Martin ,Jennifer's friend. Supposedly was a hit in its day,and made a big name in UK of its star but her later career was not as successful.Still more than worthwhile watching if only for Janette who shines here.

Liked
    1 times
    I think you've got it, Julian. The first title 'Background' ticks all the boxes. Even the reference to 'Uncle Bill'. Now I've got to work out how to get hold of a copy.

Thank you for your excellent detective work. I've been wondering about this film for years, for some reason,

(& I'm still glad I ordered the other title).

Liked
    103 times
    There is a preview clip from Child in the House (Eric Portman,Phyllis Calvert, Mandy Miller, Stanley Baker) on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ccu6HqfoHg

I did a search for clips from the other two films, but could not find any......

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster View Post
    There is a preview clip from Child in the House (Eric Portman,Phyllis Calvert, Mandy Miller, Stanley Baker) on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ccu6HqfoHg

I did a search for clips from the other two films, but could not find any......
    That clip looks excellent, but it's not the film I was looking for. I'm almost certain that it's 'Background'. I've managed to find a copy on ebay, so I'll post back when I've seen it.
    Thank you so much for your help.

I'm also glad to have found a few British films from the 50s that aren't all crooks and coppers.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster View Post
    Could be this....

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0045532/

In post-war London, upper-middle class barrister John Lomax and his wife Barbie decide after several years of constant bickering to divorce. They underestimate the effect of their announcement on their three children, who assume that family friend Bill Ogden is to blame. Uncle Bill may indeed be waiting in the wings, but it's all hardly his fault.

Or this....

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0043860/

Excellent movie about the effect divorce has on a child.In this day and age,with people divorcing all over the place,it looks dated but still a powerhouse performance from Janette Scott who was 10 years old then. It must be one of first movies dealing with child trauma and therapy,also introducing modern,at the time, methods of dealing with child-neuroses. Well directed and photographed,all the cast does a good job but special notice to child actor Brian Smith who plays Martin ,Jennifer's friend. Supposedly was a hit in its day,and made a big name in UK of its star but her later career was not as successful.Still more than worthwhile watching if only for Janette who shines here.
    I've since managed to get hold of a copy of 'Background' Julian and that is the film I was looking for and it's quite a good film.

I just wanted to thank you for the leads and say how impressed I am that you were able to name the film with such vague clues.