Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    Liked
    27 times
    From Hammer, Icon Film Distribution and Lionsgate.


    http://www.hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/409/the-curse-of-frankenstein-release-date


    "Hammer, Icon Film Distribution and Lionsgate are proud to present Terence Fisher's Gothic classic The Curse of Frankenstein fully restored in High Definition and for the first time in its original Academy ratio of 1.37:1.

    Available 15th October in the UK & Ireland on 3-disc Double Play, the pack includes 1 x Blu-ray and 2 x DVD packed full of brand new content. Featuring new documentaries and bonus extras, and including the infamous "eyeball" scene, which was originally banned but has now been fully restored.


    The Curse of Frankenstein
    Double Play: 1 x BD & 2 x DVD
    Cert: 15 (TBC)
    Released: 15th October 2012
    Region B/2


    Single Blu-ray 50 disc

    HD Main Feature � Never before released �Academy� ratio 1.37:1 � 83 mins � DTS MA 2.0
    HD The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) � alternate aspect ratio � 83mins � DTS MA 2.0
    New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
    Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
    Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
    Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
    Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
    World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
    Stills show
    English HOH subtitles for Main Feature

    Double DVD

    DISC #1:
    Main Feature � Never before released �Academy� ratio 1.37:1 � 83 mins � DD 2.0 � English HOH subtitles
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) � alternate aspect ratio � 83mins - DD 2.0
    New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
    DISC #2:
    Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
    Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
    Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
    Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
    World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
    Stills show
    PDF all-new booklet �The Creator�s Spark: Hammer�s Frankenstein Begins� with text by Hammer archivist Robert J. E. Simpson

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,798
    Liked
    114 times
    Hmm - nice to see Four Sided Triangle packaged in with this - hopefully from a High-Def master. Always enjoyed that film.

    Smudge

  3. #3
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    137
    Liked
    0 times
    Good news. Nice extras with the other film. Might have to get this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,131
    Liked
    143 times
    So the booklet is only for the DVD version, not the Blu-Ray? And no subtitles for the DVD? Is there a techncal reason for this, or have I misunderstood something?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Country: England
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,804
    Liked
    7 times
    Have been having an interesting conversation with some friends who are experts on Hammer and Widescreen films.....and the consensus is that the claim that the Academy Ratio version is 'Original' is met with......extreme scepticism. All contemporary literature concerning the exhibition of the film indicates it always was a widescreen film. The only debate is why it was shot in an Academy ratio - but framed for Widescreen - whether they were mindful that some low-end cinemas had yet to be converted for Widescreen or that they were already thinking ahead for TV screenings, which they already had some business links with. Anyway, since the initial announcement the widescreen version has been added to the discs so now everyone will be happy, hopefully...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,853
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Have been having an interesting conversation with some friends who are experts on Hammer and Widescreen films.....and the consensus is that the claim that the Academy Ratio version is 'Original' is met with......extreme scepticism. All contemporary literature concerning the exhibition of the film indicates it always was a widescreen film. The only debate is why it was shot in an Academy ratio - but framed for Widescreen - whether they were mindful that some low-end cinemas had yet to be converted for Widescreen or that they were already thinking ahead for TV screenings, which they already had some business links with. Anyway, since the initial announcement the widescreen version has been added to the discs so now everyone will be happy, hopefully...
    Hammer seemed to be a bit stubborn about this originally, but thankfully have bowed to a tide of expert industry opinion and included the correct 1.66:1 ratio version.
    Their original claim that the Academy ratio was correct was widely disputed by those who were involved at the time.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    Liked
    27 times
    I was speaking to film editor John S. Smith yesterday and he told me that soon after The Robe had been released, Jimmy Carreras bought some widescreen lenses for the studios and had to pay some considerable sum for a license to use the format. having paid for that license, he was determined that all their films would be in widescreen. He remembers this being the case when he was working on Quatermass.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,453
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
    I was speaking to film editor John S. Smith yesterday and he told me that soon after The Robe had been released, Jimmy Carreras bought some widescreen lenses for the studios and had to pay some considerable sum for a license to use the format. having paid for that license, he was determined that all their films would be in widescreen. He remembers this being the case when he was working on Quatermass.
    Is this what they ultimately called Hammerscope on some of their films?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    916
    Liked
    14 times
    Hammerscope was their anamorphic lens wasn't it? ie 2.35:1 ratio.
    They used it on their 'psycho' thrillers and on Dracula Prince of Darkness and Rasputin.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,453
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markrgv View Post
    Hammerscope was their anamorphic lens wasn't it? ie 2.35:1 ratio.
    They used it on their 'psycho' thrillers and on Dracula Prince of Darkness and Rasputin.
    Some of those I think were in "Techniscope". Mind you, a rose by any other name . . .

  11. #11
    Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    916
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    Some of those I think were in "Techniscope". Mind you, a rose by any other name . . .
    Yes i think you are right - the couple of colour horror films were techniscope. But i'm pretty sure that Hammerscope was definitely anamorphic for a 2.35 aspect - so similar to Techniscope.
    Though wasn't there also a 'megascope', or similar they used..?

    I'm confused now!

    Have to go back through the films now and see which ones are titled as being in Hammerscope....
    Last edited by markrgv; 05-09-12 at 12:24 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    177
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markrgv View Post
    But i'm pretty sure that Hammerscope was definitely anamorphic for a 2.35 aspect - so similar to Techniscope.
    Ah, now; widescreen 'guru' Jack Theakston says that Hammerscope was a version of Super-35, an extraction from a 'flat' negative. Have a look from here down.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Country: France
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyway, 1.37 or 1.66, both of them are infinitely preferable to the massacre perpetred by Warners in America, with their DVD hideously cropped at 1.85 - and the same goes for "Dracula/Horror of Dracula" and "The Mummy". These three DVDs cut off a lot of image information, with actors "scalped" in a lot of shots.

Similar Threads

  1. When was FRANKENSTEIN DESTROYED?
    By Anthony McKay in forum Ask a Film Question
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14-08-09, 11:18 PM
  2. The horror of frankenstein
    By Anthony McKay in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-07-09, 10:34 AM
  3. About Frankenstein....
    By moonfleet in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-01-09, 02:27 PM
  4. Lost Frankenstein's Ghost and Son
    By Deepfocus in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-07, 12:01 PM
  5. Frankenstein and the monster from hell
    By vanburen in forum Ask a Film Question
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18-06-07, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts