Junior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I am writing from Texas and hoping to get help finding the name of an old black and white war movie. I live in the United States and watch the TCM channel. One night, I was watching an old black and white war movie. The scene I remember took place in the desert, with a couple of British soldiers holed up in a foxhole or stone enclosure. A hundred meters or so away from the British soldiers is a couple of German soldiers holed up in a foxhole or stone enclosure. In the middle of both groups is a water well, the only source of water for both sides. The two sides are within shouting or talking distance and I believe they end up letting one another go to get water. It was an excellent movie and have exhausted my sources to find the name of the movie. I hope someone can help me with my dilema. Thank you for your time.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It sounds like it could be Sahara (1943)

I guess that doesn't quite fit as they are fighting over that well.
    Last edited by will.15; 11-09-12 at 01:54 AM.

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Henry Fonda stars in The Immortal Sergeant playing a Canadian with British troops in the desert.At one point he sneaks through German troops occupying an oasis to fill his platoon's canteens.Victor McGlaglen leads a troop of British cavalry in WW1 Mesopatamia who defend an oasis in John Ford's Lost Patrol.Bogart as commander of an American tank picks up strays including Brits and defends a well complete with derelict buildings against superior German forces in Sahara.Any of these fit the bill?
    The Steel Bayonet has British troops commanded by Leo Genn defending a desert outpost in WW2 but I don't think it's a well but an observation post if I remember correctly.

Junior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by woody123 View Post
    Henry Fonda stars in The Immortal Sergeant playing a Canadian with British troops in the desert.At one point he sneaks through German troops occupying an oasis to fill his platoon's canteens.Victor McGlaglen leads a troop of British cavalry in WW1 Mesopatamia who defend an oasis in John Ford's Lost Patrol.Bogart as commander of an American tank picks up strays including Brits and defends a well complete with derelict buildings against superior German forces in Sahara.Any of these fit the bill?
    The Steel Bayonet has British troops commanded by Leo Genn defending a desert outpost in WW2 but I don't think it's a well but an observation post if I remember correctly.
    Wow, I am very impressed with your knowledge. And a thank you to will.15 for his input. I will have to locate and see the films you suggested to verify if they could be the one I am talking about. I just remember the British side had a couple or a few soldiers holed up in a derilict outpost on one side of a well or oasis(now that you mention it) and on the other side was a group of German troops in the same predicament. However, I do believe it was a well they were trying to take over and control. In the end I think both sides were desperate for water and came to some sort of agreement on how to obtain water so that neither side would die from dehydration.

Senior Member Country: UK SainT's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Another suggestion:
    Nine Men (1943)
    ... but I don't think it is.
    Steve Crook is the author of the 'IMDb storyline' for this movie, so he knows...

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtiger92 View Post
    Wow, I am very impressed with your knowledge. And a thank you to will.15 for his input. I will have to locate and see the films you suggested to verify if they could be the one I am talking about. I just remember the British side had a couple or a few soldiers holed up in a derilict outpost on one side of a well or oasis(now that you mention it) and on the other side was a group of German troops in the same predicament. However, I do believe it was a well they were trying to take over and control. In the end I think both sides were desperate for water and came to some sort of agreement on how to obtain water so that neither side would die from dehydration.
    That description sounds closer to Sahara than the previous one. Bogart is the only American among a small number of British soldiers. They control the well and the larger Gerrman army are trying to pick them off so they can get to it.

Liked
    0 times

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I'd also go for Sahara as well.

Nick

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    Definitely 'Sahara' starring Humphrey Bogart. If you enjoy it, you may want to look out for the excellent remake in colour of the same name starring James Belushi and made in Australia.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAHARA-DVD...item4ab4dd1df7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAHARA-199...item51a1338398

Jim Belushi, Alan David Lee. Belushi reprises Humphrey Bogart's role in the 1943 classic which follows an American tank crew attempting to cross the Sahara in search of a fabled water-well. Miraculously they fight off thirsty German troops. 1995/color/106 min/NR/fullscreen.

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    The remake with Belushi is up on Youtube at the moment although not very good quality.It was also remade,or should that be re-imagined ,in a Western setting as The Last Comanche starring Broderick Crawford and Loyd bridges.A Stagecoach is substituted for the tank,but the plot is there pretty much in it's entireity.I read somewhere that Sahara itself is a reworking of John Ford's Stagecoach.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    hello. my mate bIlly (an expert in this kind of stuff) says it is '' a foxhole in cairo''. plese look it up my friend.