Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I've just watched the recent dvd release of House of the Long Shadows. I'd not seen the film since the 80s and thought it was way better than I remembered. What a great cast too, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, John Carradine, Richard Todd and Sheila Keith. The younger actors were equally good, Desi Arnaz Jr, Julie Peasgood, Louise English and Richard Hunter.

The dvd print is widescreen and has been nicely cleaned up. There is also a commentary and a wonderfully entertaining 96 minute making of feature, with some hilarious stories and a really touching moment right at the end. A great job.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I thought it was a wasted opportunity: such a hoary old story to support the once-in-a-lifetime cast of Carradine, Price, Cushing and Lee. The lisping Cushing was the best IMHO.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    To this day this is a film I have never dared to watch.

Not, I hasten to add, for any reasons of creepiness or horror, but purely because I have read such dreadful reviews and would hate to see such a promising conjugation of greats like Price, Lee and Cushing tarnish their own images by delivering a real damp squib, which I am consistently led to believe this film is.

Time to grasp the nettle and give it a chance though I suppose....

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    It certainly led to a great portrait by Terry O'Neill

images (1).jpg

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    It certainly led to a great portrait by Terry O'Neill

images (1).jpg
    As Tom Weaver would put it: "Three horror film stars joined by Christopher Lee."

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    As Tom Weaver would put it: "Three horror film stars joined by Christopher Lee."
    Or as most other people would put it: "Three horror film stars joined by some old bloke in a smoking cap"

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonch View Post
    Or as most other people would put it: "Three horror film stars joined by some old bloke in a smoking cap"
    Or "Fours stars and one wig"

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    000_0845.jpg

Advert from the Rick C archive. Just a couple of reviews from critics, in the archive, who suffered the attendance at the respective press show:-

"the worst film about the film is its total lack of ambition" (Observer)

"the grave (of the original story) should never have been disturbed (Evening Standard)

Strangely however, the next portfolio alphabet-wise, in the vault is Peter Walker's other shocker "House of Whipcord".
    Last edited by Rick C; 28-10-12 at 07:45 PM.

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    This is a strange film: With Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price in it, i really want to love this film - but always come away disappointed. It's okay and watchable, but never reaches the heights you would hope for; not a fault of the actors - they're excellent as always with what they've got to work with - just a weak story.

Member Country: UK Afterglow2001's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember rather liking it. The biggest problem, as far as I remember, was Desi Arnaz Jnr as the lead, as he's nowhere near as interesting as the other actors. I do prefer it to Walker's other films, he's undeniably talented but I usually don't like his subject matter at all (Whipcord, Frightmare). I must watch this again.

I was amazed at the length of the "making of" feature. That alone should be worth getting the DVD for. I remember an interview with the writer, Michael Armstrong, who complained that so much of the movie was cut down by the Cannon boys and it hurt the picture.
    Do they mention this on the making of? It's a shame they couldn't find the scenes.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Afterglow2001 View Post
    I remember an interview with the writer, Michael Armstrong, who complained that so much of the movie was cut down by the Cannon boys and it hurt the picture.
    Do they mention this on the making of? It's a shame they couldn't find the scenes.
    Does not surprise that Cannon cut the film down,3 years later Superman 4 went the same way The movie's original budget was $36 million. Just before filming was to begin, Cannon Pictures, which was experiencing financial problems, slashed the budget to $17 million,because of this they cut the film from 134 minutes to 90 minutes ,the producers considered using the deleted footage as the groundwork for a fifth film.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    000_0845.jpg

Advert from the Rick C archive. Just a couple of reviews from critics, in the archive, who suffered the attendance at the respective press show:-

"the worst film about the film is its total lack of ambition" (Observer)

"the grave (of the original story) should never have been disturbed (Evening Standard)

Strangely however, the next portfolio alphabet-wise, in the vault is Peter Walker's other shocker "House of Whipcord".
    The House Of Whipcord while boggy in parts is fairly good film-saved mainly, and carried by Sheila Keith as wardress 'Walker'- the sadistic and omnipotent part she plays is a meaty one: "Third offence Madam" she says to female Governor as 'criminal' (Penny Irving) is about to be executed..

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    I quite like HotLS despite it being hoary old nonsense. Price, Cushing and Lee are on splendid form. It's a pity Carradine didn't have more to do and wasn't Elsa Lanchester pencilled in for the part Sheila Keith played? Of course it would have been at least 46% better if anyone other than Desi Arnaz Jr had played the young lead...

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge View Post
    I quite like HotLS despite it being hoary old nonsense. Price, Cushing and Lee are on splendid form. It's a pity Carradine didn't have more to do and wasn't Elsa Lanchester pencilled in for the part Sheila Keith played? Of course it would have been at least 46% better if anyone other than Desi Arnaz Jr had played the young lead...
    I'll second that, I would rather than had Elsa Lanchester in the Arnaz role!

Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    The film promised so much and delivered nothing....Except a great poster.

What a wasted opportunity.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Waines View Post
    The film promised so much and delivered nothing....Except a great poster.

What a wasted opportunity.
    fantasic poster though

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge View Post
    I agree totally, Arnaz was totally inept in this part-wooden acting throughout!

Scenesixty

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    At least everyone agrees that the poster was good!