Member Country: UK Loose_Cannon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Have vague memories of a Tv comedy/drama, may have starred Timothy West or someone much like him (looked at IMDB but nothing rings a bell). I think I tuned in halfway through, probably why the title evades me.

Set in a country hotel, I think one of those bland places usually called *something* Hall, but really just an old house in big grounds with lots of flat roof extension "function suites". Anyhow this large party (work colleagues I think, but may even have been a band or part of the entertainment) seemed to arrive by bus, and the play documented the various sexual shenanigans that ensued that evening, both between the inner group and indeed the staff.

In one scene a young couple head back to the bus for nookie, only to find a disgruntled member of the party still at the back of the bus having a "sit-in"...he reminds me of Mark Heaps character in Green Wing....he may have been upset at the tone of the evening, or may have been in fancy dress by mistake, some kind of thing like that.

In another scene the wife of the "Timothy West" character sneaks off for a liaison with a black waiter who is later observed sneaking out of the room, and decides to smile it off to the witnesses. Later she returns to the husband with some innuendo "I have had it up to here...." where the male character gives one of those impotent smouldering stares like TW does, you know like he's exploding inside but barely raises an eyebrow.

Fairly certain this might ring some bells as it didn't seem too long ago. As usual any help gratefully received
    Last edited by Loose_Cannon; 28-10-12 at 11:45 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Captain Oates's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose_Cannon View Post
    Have vague memories of a Tv comedy/drama, may have starred Timothy West or someone much like him (looked at IMDB but nothing rings a bell). I think I tuned in halfway through, probably why the title evades me.

Set in a country hotel, I think one of those bland places usually called *something* Hall, but really just an old house in big grounds with lots of flat roof extension "function suites". Anyhow this large party (work colleagues I think, but may even have been a band or part of the entertainment) seemed to arrive by bus, and the play documented the various sexual shenanigans that ensued that evening, both between the inner group and indeed the staff.

In one scene a young couple head back to the bus for nookie, only to find a disgruntled member of the party still at the back of the bus having a "sit-in"...he reminds me of Mark Heaps character in Green Wing....he may have been upset at the tone of the evening, or may have been in fancy dress by mistake, some kind of thing like that.

In another scene the wife of the "Timothy West" character sneaks off for a liaison with a black waiter who is later observed sneaking out of the room, and decides to smile it off to the witnesses. Later she returns to the husband with some innuendo "I have had it up to here...." where the male character gives one of those impotent smouldering stares like TW does, you know like he's exploding inside but barely raises an eyebrow.

Fairly certain this might ring some bells as it didn't seem too long ago. As usual any help gratefully received
    You are almost certainly thinking of the 1987 BBC comedy-drama Harry's Kingdom. Timothy West plays Harry King, MD of a double glazing firm and the hotel is hired for an annual awards ceremony for its sales team. Harry's wife (Jill Baker) is having an affair with one of Harry's top salesmen (he is black but not a waiter), and is spotted sneaking out of her room as you described. The couple who retire to have sex in the coach parked outside ignore a member of the pipe band that have been hired, and who is sitting a few seats behind looking bored. Various salesmen are plotting to topple Harry's firm and set up in competition. Timothy West is suitably odious as the tyrannical King. Excellent play that hasn't been repeated.

Member Country: UK Loose_Cannon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thankyou so much for this, I had no idea that it was that long ago, felt sure it was 90s but if you say not I believe you!

Thanks again, as you say well worth a repeat.