Member Country: Portugal
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello. I’d like your help finding the titles of a pair of films I’ve watched in my childhood. I only remember the parts that moved or shocked me the most.

The first is set in a RN warship (destroyer?), during either WWI or WWII. The ship is sunk by a U-Boot and the crewmen swim for their lives; one of them is shouting for his cat, “Peaches”, who I think was never seen again. German officers watch with their binoculars from their ship’s tower, laughing. Later the U-Boot was rammed by another RN warship. The film was probably made during WWII, definitely a 1940’s film.

The other is an espionage film, set and made in the 1930’s. A young and lively British couple gets involved in an espionage affair, during an international crisis. I remember the bad agent (German?) kills an ambassador by pretending to get a photograph from him; the poor man stands smiling in front of the camera, and gets shot in his face by the spy. I also remember there was a German destroyer threatning to shooting at a civilian passenger airplane; one fat lady was complaining loud inside the plane, when she is hit in her throat by shrapnel, from the German ship’s first shot.

Many thanks in advance.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Your two films seem like a compendium of parts from well known films.I dont know about the first title but the second certainly has large elements of Hitchs "Foreign Correspondent".

Member Country: Portugal
    Liked
    0 times
    That's right, orpheum2, thank you very much. Now I remember other parts of the film, like all those umbrellas swinging, as the killer escapes through the crowd.

I hope the first film's description rings a bell for someone else...