Thread: Film Piracy?

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

I am doing a project for my 3rd and final year at university to understand audience's response to film piracy to determine ways to fight it.

It would mean a lot if you could fill out this survey. All information will be only for the purpose of this project, no sensitive information will be asked.

Thank you.

Here is the link to the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3NHSTVB

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I would have thought that many/most people experience a lot of film film via TV broadcast, but there was no mention of that medium on that survey form.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Once again a survey that makes me feel I'm a character in Logan's Run

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Sorry jscott2, I read the first question and decided not to continue.

Your survey failed at the first hurdle.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    I'm more alarmed at the rankings which seem to imply that I might consider illegal downloading, but I'm 31 plus, so I probably don't know how to do it anyway.
    As to film piracy, a general shout to copyright holders everywhere.
    Make your product available and affordable.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Add 'watching films on television' as a category and sort out the age groups and some of us might have another go at this survey, as others have already said.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    This is more like a marketing survey than something designed for a media course.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I did fill in this survey---it was very easy.

Piracy is more bother than it's worth: I was given a loan of a pirated copy of the first Pirates of the Carribean film on dvd...the picture was clear, but there was a noticable 'double-printing' of every 36th frame [or something] which just ruined it for me, and I would reject any pirated films offered to me in future.

I don't reccomend this, and I'm also sick fed up of cinema employees coming into the auditorium with infra-red cameras to make sure nobody is filming new releases via camcorder---this ruins the concentration of the film for me.

Piracy will never be eradicated, its a basic human trait with a wide following.

I do have thousands of unofficially-scanned comics, but only because big business is failing to put this stuff out in the first place [the pirates are supplying a demand here, as no-one else really seems to be bothering].

No such qualms about films though: most decent films are out on official dvd......... would any board members be tempted to buy a grey market copy of a more obscure film that has never made it onto legit DVD? I haven't done this myself, but some film buffs patently do.
    Last edited by Odeon68; 26-11-12 at 02:01 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeon68 View Post
    No such qualms about films though: most decent films are out on official dvd......... would any board members be tempted to buy a grey market copy of a more obscure film that has never made it onto legit DVD? I haven't done this myself, but some film buffs patently do.
    I have done so many times though now I have rather more efficient and cheaper sources so haven't had to for a while. I would imagine that it's the sort of film piracy that most Britmovie members undertake but the survey shows no awareness of it.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Absolutely agree Captain.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    55 times
    This very simple but very incomplete survey is part of a third year degree project

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    How permanent are these grey market films on Dvd-r [I think that's the method that is used]: do they last a long time, like 'normal' pressed dvds?

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    jscott; welcome ...

I hate this "four or five categories up to 30" (that's people born in 1982 and after), and then just one more: "the others" - anybody born in 1981 or before. Of course it's because I'm over thirty, but we're not talking about video gaming here, we're talking about cinema.

And, at the risk of boring everybody, can I also say that "Almost everyday" means "Almost unremarkable"? If you mean "almost every day", then say that: you're a third year student on a degree course.

And as has been mentioned, where's the "TV" option?

I think you needed to think the survey through and run some tests before pressing the publish key. Or whatever it is one has to do.

Having said all that, good luck with the project, and all criticisms will be withdrawn and apologised for profusely if you turn out to be rockabilly legend Jack Scott.

Junior Member Country: Estonia
    Liked
    0 times
    How can we resolve movie piracy problem without punishments and restrictions?

I am doing research in university about it, please help by answering these a few multiple choice questions http://goo.gl/2cXRp and share your ideas in here. Thank you!