Page 25 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Philly-I have spoken again to the two most prominent assistant directors-who signed Fred's paychecks-and they both said it was Woods. I also spoke to harry Fielder again, who knew Fred well. If you look at everything any of his colleagues write, they always refer to him as "Woods." I spoke to the lady who ran Central Casting for many years, and he was registered as Fred Woods. Harry knew him well, said he had a son as he remembers but didn't know about any daughter. Several of us on the forum find it suspicious that someone would post-just one time-and say that her father was a drunkard who had to be sent home from the sets because he was too pissed to go on. And then has never been heard from again. While Fred was known to like a drink, he was always professional while working and was never "sent home early." Michael Stevenson-the only assistant director (along with David Tomblin) to be given an honorary BAFTA Award, says that he used Fred more than fifty times, and he was always well behaved and reliable. By the way, there WAS a Fred Wood registered with Equity, and also another one here in the U.S. Our guy was "Woods." Maybe the name on his birth certificate didn't have the "s" All I can tell you is what the man himself told me.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Scott i guess the the lady/man that posted could have been a hoaxer. Fred's real first name is likely to have been Frederick, common in the first half of last century, most Fred's today are Freddie/Freddy. I wonder if Wood TIMBER Wood knew him personally?
    The clash of names is what i thought would be a likely outcome of the confusion as i mentioned in my last post.
    Last edited by philly; 12-09-13 at 10:54 PM.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Thank you......Scott..........Aitch....

http://www.harryfielder.co.uk

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I worked with Fred on a number of occasions and he was never drunk on set. His problem was as soon as he got paid off at the end of the day he tended to head to the pub. That was why his wife was usually waiting for him to make sure she took care of the money instead of the landlord, and yes, I always remember him as Fred Woods not Fred Wood.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    RE: Fred's 'daughter'
    Yeah it's a bit odd. If I had a close relative who has been immortalised on screen for all eternity, I would read all the posts about them and reply. There's nothing in the post that proves the story. I mean I'm George Hilsdon grandson, John Tatum's nephew and the former lover of Pauline Chamberlain but I can't prove it!

Liked
    8 times
    Hi Stonefan, I don't believe a word that you have said, really funny, I like it, I also worked quite a lot with Fred, and what KenCooms has said, is all true,Fred's wife use to turn up to make sure he didn't do his days money in the bar.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Dear All

Many heads are better than one it seems. Fred (ie my Dads) 1st name was Frederick and yes Joan usually went to meet him at the set so she could make sure the money came home. I was unaware that he was using the name Woods as opposed to wood during his work as he did not mention it. I am pleased that he is still being recognised for some of his work even now either by wood or woods. thank you for helping to clarfy this Wood / Woods issue. Joan & Fred in fact had 4 children (myself my 2 brothers and my sister).
    I am still busy looking for for films in which he appeared. I hope to post some new still on this forum soon and thank you once again.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the greatest of pleasure telling you that after only three months on the web my site has had over one million 'hits'. God knows what it means but it sounds very impressive. This is due in no small measure to the promotion quietly going on in the background by 'people unknown'. I don't know who you are but I thank you.

And not forgetting all help given in namings and corrections I am recieving.

Special mention goes to:

Dave Wright

Gerald Lovel

Cornershop

Philly

Aged AD

Scott Palmer

and

Wood TIMBER Wood

and of course anyone else who has helped.

As I have said many times, I don't know when I can get round to them all but please keep them coming

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Always glad to oblige, MovieDude. I'm sure wearysloth deserves a mention as well. Didn't he assist in setting up the site?

To help establish her in our minds, here's Vi Kane's credited appearance in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (1976):

In this scene from Episode Six of the first series, a disguised Reggie (Leonard Rossiter) is told his wife is visiting her mother in Worthing.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Nice pictures of Vi(olet) Kane, Cornershop. I seem to remember long ago seeing her in something like Randall & Hopkirk or Department S/Jason King. By the way, your Mabel Etherington remark about graduating to "stealing scenes" later on made me laugh like hell! I'd like to think when she was nicked she did her Lady Bracknell impression: "A handbag!?"

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    Moviedude's site is all his own hard work, aveleyman salutes him!

Liked
    177 times
    A rare occasion where someone's understood my attempt at humour, Scott!

I've browsed a few of these pages, trying to find the post in which MovieDude acknowledged wearysloth's help, and reckon this is the one. It was for sorting out a technical problem rather than to do with advice on web design (or was that someone else?):

Quote Originally Posted by MovieDudeToo View Post
    OK I think I'm up and running again after all that. I only had to buy a new computor.

Bad news I'm afraid. I'm going to have to delete the site sometime soon. Reason is, I have realised it is nearly impossible for me to repair it online. As you may have noticed, it isn't working properly and I can only repair it on my own machine. So sooner or later it will dissapear for a while. Hopefully less than a week.

At this point I must give a huge round of applause to The Weary Sloth who has made a herculean effort to help me put it right. But sadly some parts of it are proving to be extremely tricky to get right. And frankly, I think I should clean up my own mess. The TV section in particular is proving to be a real pest. I think I am going to rebuild it from the bottom to be sure of getting it right.

I don't know what to do with the less satisfactory captures of unfamiliar extras. Others would just go ahead and post them but I tend to hold back with faces I don't know.

A recent example is the Espionage episode The Incurable One. This has the worst shot of Aileen Lewis I've seen and an undistinguished passer-by role for George Holdcroft - who I have also spotted in the film version of The Lovers!, by the way.

You might want to send me a PM with your e-mail address, MovieDude (or anyone else), so that I can pass on attachments of extras you'll no doubt recognise more than me.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Sloth. I appreciate what you said.

You beat me to it Cornershop. I was going look for that page last night but got sidetracked (as usual). I have a terrible memory sometimes. I will PM you shortly.

Liked
    177 times
    I'm sure that's your Blonde in Repulsion, MovieDude, with Valerie Taylor behind her and Catherine Deneuve in the middle:

A lot more screencapping to do, which I will have to leave until Monday, but I can reveal John Tatum appears in a scene
    that I think includes Charles Rayford. I may also have had a rare sighting of the Joan Littlewood lookalike (teeth and hat).

Liked
    0 times
    Not sure its her Cornershop. The eyebrows don't seem to be arched enough. Perhaps a more front-on view would be a bit easier to identify. I did this film years ago and obviously missed a few people. Sadly I have now deleted it amd will have to wait for a re-run to do it again. I have Charles Rayford but not John Tatum unless he is #25 in my list. I look forward to seeing your caps'.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    I'm sure that's your Blonde in Repulsion, MovieDude, with Valerie Taylor behind her and Catherine Deneuve in the middle:

A lot more screencapping to do, which I will have to leave until Monday, but I can reveal John Tatum appears in a scene
    that I think includes Charles Rayford. I may also have had a rare sighting of the Joan Littlewood lookalike (teeth and hat).
    The blonde in the foreground is a delightful lady called Eileen Harvey

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Aged. I have realised I have this image already and I'm pretty sure now its not the Blonde Lady. (But then again?)

Liked
    177 times
    Thank you for identifying that lady, Aged AD (sorry, I misread your name as Aged 40 in your early posts!), although I must say I'm surprised she isn't the mature blonde I've recognised several times before.

Re: Unknown Female 8

MovieDude, I am looking at that scene from Repulsion now and wonder if that's Muriel Greenslade under the hairdryer?
    She's so like Mabel Etherington it's hard to tell who's who but I do know Muriel is on the right in the Crossplot capture:

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Thank you for identifying that lady, Aged AD (sorry, I misread your name as Aged 40 in your early posts!), although I must say I'm surprised she isn't the mature blonde I've recognised several times before.

Re: Unknown Female 8

MovieDude, I am looking at that scene from Repulsion now and wonder if that's Muriel Greenslade under the hairdryer?
    She's so like Mabel Etherington it's hard to tell who's who but I do know Muriel is on the right in the Crossplot capture:

Just to confirm the lady under the dryer is Muriel Greenslade and the lady in Bless this house is Mabel Etherington

Eileen Harvey is definitely the blonde in front of Valerie Taylor in Replusion. She was one of the industry's finest standins I first worked with her when she stood in for Vivien Leigh on The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone in 1961, she also stood in for Catherine Deneuve on Repulsion.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Aged AD. Another lady named who I thought never would be. Excellent.