Page 35 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I'd agree that's George Holdcroft.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Thats OK Cornershop. You have already convinced me.

I don't know Yvonne Paul but from what I have seen she could be the girl centre left.

And it is certainly #48 'and' George Holdcroft.

Good sightings

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Thanks for confirming those sightings, guys. I'm looking for better shots of the brunette 'Slave Girls' now, hoping to find Yvonne.

I've also returned to your Unnamed Extras in The Magic Christian (1969) and am particularly interested in the one at the end:

She's frustratingly familiar. Or am I thinking of Catherine Schell? I've seen No. 2 before - very like Elizabeth Bradley.

As Roger (Aged AD) worked on this film, I'd be as grateful as MovieDude if he can identify these uncredited actors.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry I recognize them all but can't remember their names

Liked
    177 times
    Not to worry, Roger. There's still hope. Movie Dude, I've just found the most wonderful interview with Ivor, on a Dutch TV show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqvVOZN8fZs

Gert Berg interviewt butler Yvor Spencer (can't find the year, I'm afraid).

That's exactly how I remember him. R.I.P., Ivor.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Cornershop. Very interesting. Not a job I could I think.

Liked
    0 times
    Oops! Not a job I could 'do' (I mean)

Liked
    177 times
    Edmond Bennett mystery

I think you'll find this post interesting, Movie Dude!

Cropped images of Edmond in two productions from 1960. As 'Barman at Coffee Stall' in the Armchair Theatre play
    - A Night Out and 'Manservant' in The Edgar Wallace Mysteries - Clue of the Twisted Candle (from your gallery):

Last night I watched an episode of Gazette called In Loving Memory and instantly recognised an actor from a scene in
    Performance. He's the uncredited detective who interviews Anthony Valentine after his betting shop has been trashed:

Again, these were filmed in the same year - 1968 (although Performance wasn't released until 1970). Unless there were
    two Edmond Bennetts, this is the same man with an unfortunately disfigured face. If so, what happened to poor Edmond?

Following my latest viewing, a few weeks ago, I read many of the IMDb reviews and Message Boards - including this one:

The actor without a jaw?

One poster says the policeman is played by David Litvinoff, an "associate of the Kray Twins" who was attacked by Ronnie.

From the BBC Wales webpage David Litvinoff and the Teifiside blues:

Anybody who's seen the 1990 film The Krays will recall the incident in which Ronnie pushes a sword into the debtor's mouth and inflicts horrific injuries. That debtor was Dave Litvinoff - at least, it could have been Dave Litvinoff. Only he was an arch-fantasist, and loved to embroider the tale.

In one version Litvinoff used to tell, he was suspended above the roof garden of Derry and Tom's department store, his screams drowned out by a CND protest march below. Make of that what you will, there's no doubt he did have a scar across his mouth - practically everybody who ever met him remembers the strange grin.

That's what they said about Mr. Sardonicus!:

However, I've found a review of the film The Krays, at the Entermainment Weekly website, which states the victim was a stranger. Could it have been Edmond Bennett? Mr. Litvinoff is credited as 'Technical Adviser' in Performance (he had "connections with the Underworld", apparently) but I don't believe he's the policeman in that scene. He was also the subject of a Francis Bacon painting, although I can't seem to find it at Google Images, or any others after his attack.

To add to the Mystery, I don't have any of Edmond's credits between those appearances in The Edgar Wallace Mysteries and Performance. Gerald might be able to help with Sergeant Cork - The Case of the Slithy Tove (1963). His episodes of The Plane Makers are also on DVD but everything else from that period is either lost or unavailable. Furthermore, there is a significant gap from 1964 to 1967. I can only surmise that he was recovering (from whatever happened to him) during this period.

A curious and perhaps disturbing story if I've got my facts right. What do others think?
    Last edited by cornershop15; 29-03-14 at 01:59 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    Excellent piece Cornershop. Very interesting.

Having compared my image and yours I'd have to agree with you that this is not David Litvinoff. The face shape, hairstyle and ears look identical to each other. So I would agree that this is probably Edmond Bennett. He looks like he has suffered from cancer of the jaw at some time. He certainly does not look like someone who has had a sword/bayonet drawn across his mouth, as shown in The Krays, which would leave scars on both cheeks like a smiling clown. This is the victim in the film.

David Litvinoff sound just like a chap I knew back in the seventies. We called him Mad Mick (or more usually, Bullshitter of the year). He could spin a tail as long as a book. He was obese, he stank, he was scruffy, he lived in a seedy bedsit and rode a cranky old bicycle but some of the stories he told were amazing. I remember he claimed at various times to be:- A Submarine Captain - A Fighter pilot for the Israeli Air Force - An advisor to NATO among others, and he could reel off details about these positions which would astound anyone. But just like Litvinoff he seems to have had a perfect memory with total recall but sadly a vivid imagination.

It would be a duller world without these colourful characters.

Liked
    182 times
    I don't know about Edmond Bennett's history, but here he must be in that SERGEANT CORK episode from 1963. Sadly, it's not very clear:

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks for tracking down Edmond's (unnoticed?) appearance in Sergeant Cork, Gerald. Movie Dude, you could well be right in thinking "cancer of the jaw" was the more likely cause of his unfortunate disfigurement. But isn't it odd that the IMDb poster seemed so certain he was David Litvinoff?:

He was someone who had no desire to court publicity---hence his cameo in Performance going uncredited.

There are actually quite a lot of uncredited actors in this film. In fact, I've decided to start a thread later on to illustrate who they are. Only four have made it to IMDb's cast list. Two appear in Edmond's betting shop scene, Reg Lye and Billy Murray. The only other face I've recognised so far is Leon Eagles so I wil need a lot of help with this.

The one search result for Edmond Bennett at the newspaper archives turned out to be revealing! He was married to Julia Jones - one of my favourite screenwriters. Edmond was in her adaptations of Anne of Green Gables and Our Mutual Friend, as well as episodes of The Gamblers and Theatre 625. The Charles Dickens series is the lone survivor and happens to be on DVD. Does Euryale have a copy to give us an idea of what he looked like, eight years after Performance?

Liked
    177 times
    I've tried to start that Performance thread several times in the last few weeks. As usual, problems describing characters is holding me back.

Unnamed Extra No. 14 in 'The Saint' episode The Man Who Was Lucky (1962)

Just watched this, Movie Dude, and am confident the Ambulanceman is Bill Hibbert:

Last edited by cornershop15; 27-04-14 at 07:13 AM.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Yes.......Bill Hibbert....

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Guys. I bet he's to be found in other episodes as well.

Liked
    182 times
    Bill Hibbert is in "The Russian Prisoner" too, Movie Dude. I also clocked him the other day playing a policeman in THE AVENGERS "Two's a Crowd".

Liked
    0 times
    Yes Gerald, you're right. He, along with the others you pointed out in your notes are certainly in there. I have not forgotten about them. I'm about half way through yours, Scott's and Roger's notes at the moment. I'm afraid with the medication I'm on (which has slowed me down dramatically) it will be some time yet before I can complete them. We will get there one day.

Liked
    177 times
    Hello, Movie Dude. I've identified yet another Unnamed Extra in A Man for All Seasons. 20 ('6th
    Courier') is Arnold Peters. Compare with your image from All Creatures Great and Small (left):

I saw him in an episode of Doctor in the House over the weekend. Reminiscent of Mark Dignam?

Mark's brother Basil was in The Saint - The Invisible Millionaire ... which I also watched last weekend.
    Is Unnamed Extra 1, who appears in the first scene, Trevor Bowen (seen here in A Family at War)?:

To add to Gerald's identification of Bill Hibbert in The Saint - The Russian Prisoner, I recognise at least two more faces:

#31 - Renee Heimer?; 45 - Lola Morice; 7 - Bill Hibbert; 45 - Andrew Andreas; and Jane Murdoch ... in Carry On Doctor!

Please see my next post at 'Bit Part Actresses ...' to help confirm this is the same actress (recently seen in a Dennis Potter play).

Liked
    8 times
    HELLO cornershop15. not Renee Heimer.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Cornershop. Good sightings as usual. I will add them to the list of corrections.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Hello, Movie Dude. I've identified yet another Unnamed Extra in A Man for All Seasons. 20 ('6th
    Courier') is Arnold Peters. Compare with your image from All Creatures Great and Small (left):

I saw him in an episode of Doctor in the House over the weekend. Reminiscent of Mark Dignam?

Mark's brother Basil was in The Saint - The Invisible Millionaire ... which I also watched last weekend.
    Is Unnamed Extra 1, who appears in the first scene, Trevor Bowen (seen here in A Family at War)?:

To add to Gerald's identification of Bill Hibbert in The Saint - The Russian Prisoner, I recognise at least two more faces:

#31 - Renee Heimer?; 45 - Lola Morice; 7 - Bill Hibbert; 45 - Andrew Andreas; and Jane Murdoch ... in Carry On Doctor!

Please see my next post at 'Bit Part Actresses ...' to help confirm this is the same actress (recently seen in a Dennis Potter play).
    Here's the correct identifications

#31 Ann Barrass 45 - Lola Morice 7 - Bill Hibbert 45 - Andrew Andreas + Anne Preston