Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone recall a television film/play with Penelope Keith and Peter Bowles (I think). It would have been from approximately thirty years back and the most memorable part for me was the lonely foreigner (German/Austrian/Swiss?) called Winterhunter (Ronald Pickup???). PK's character is a confident woman who could pronounce Winterhunters' name correctly (Vinterhoonter- sorry, about as phonetically accurate as I can get)). This pleases him greatly and I think he is attracted to PK's character. Bowles character persistently pronounces the name wrongly to Winterhunters annoyance. Sounds rivetting doesn't it?....but I am strangely curious to know what it was.
    I have read a brief synopsis of 'On Approval,' but I don't think that's it.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Waters of the Moon (1983).

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0142974/

Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Billy. Got the Ronald Pickup bit right but (ironically) not the pronunciation of his character name (Winterhalter). As for Peter Bowles......bit of fog seeping in from the manor born I suspect.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I think the Bowles connection may be because in TO THE MANOR BORN nobody could ever pronounce Richard DeVere's real name properly (Bedrich Polouvitska)- which was one of the running jokes throughout all three series. It's easy to interlink things like that when remembering the past, I'm always doing it. And he does look a little bit like Pickup, who also starred in a sitcom with Keith called MOVING.

I did it this week- got the Network DVD of TRAVELLING MAN with Leigh Lawson, and waited patiently to see the episode featuring David Dixon as a snooping copper- only to realize by the final episode that i'd got it wrong, and the character is actually from two episodes of BOON. The confusion stemmed from both he and Lomax (Lawson) having their own barges...

The ironic thing is, when I met Dixon at a screening of JUMPING BEAN BAG, I said 'the last thing I saw you in was Travelling Man'- and he didn't correct me, which means, presumably, that his memory is even worse than mine....

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Waters of the Moon - 1983

I have recently uploaded a full recording of this to Youtube