Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Unfortunately, the thick special issues, that were printed twice a year, sometimes do not open properly when putting on the scanner which consequently damages the magazine spine.
    So the pages of Kine Weekly will resume next week.

Liked
    153 times

Next week, which will be the final issue for the year 1967, will be delayed until the following Monday or Tuesday as I will be in Las Vegas over the Xmas.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Looking forward to it. Thanks Stephen, 1967 has been a very interesting year.

The BBC showing 'Mr Topaze'- I didn't know it had ever been broadcast!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    The University of East Anglia has a complete run of Kine Weekly and supposedly you can search every issue online. I thought that was a great idea until I found out that the website is impossible to use. The link is pasted in below and if anyone can figure out how to search for the contents of a particular issue, perhaps they could kindly find something out for me. I know that the Trade Show of The Fallen Idol was held at the Rialto cinema, Coventry Street, London, on Thursday, August 19th, 1948, but I need to know where the premiere of the film was held a month later in September, 1948. It could have been September 30th and if so, the premiere would have been covered in Kine Weekly (then called Kinematrograph Weekly) in early October. I hope you have better luck than me.

http://www.uea.ac.uk/film-television...kly/how-to-use

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    It's not just you - for some reason 'The Fallen Idol' is not listed, nor does it appear after searching for 'fallen' or 'idol'.

It works fine for 'Limbo Line', 'Quatermass' and 'No Blade of Grass'. I'm using the 'table' format for queries - although sometimes it jumps for no reason to the home page and you have to go back and re-enter the querie.

Even searching for 'Auntie Roo' just produced results for 'The Gingerbread..' so it even knows alternate titles.

Liked
    98 times
    Looks like they've made a mess of it then, Anthony. I was hoping to be able to put a date in the search engine and have a look at a certain issue page by page until I came across the item I wanted, like looking through the pages of the local newspaper on microfilm at the library. Well, as interesting as it would be to see their actual collection in situ, a trip to Cambridge would be physically impossible for me. I just wish there was another way to find this information.

Liked
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Looks like they've made a mess of it then, Anthony. I was hoping to be able to put a date in the search engine and have a look at a certain issue page by page until I came across the item I wanted, like looking through the pages of the local newspaper on microfilm at the library. Well, as interesting as it would be to see their actual collection in situ, a trip to Cambridge would be physically impossible for me. I just wish there was another way to find this information.
    There is a library right off Leicester Square that has a large collection of Kine Weekly. I discovered it a couple of days before I left London. It is in a street very close to where the 'Leicester Square Theatre' is and it is a little way down on the left side. When I was there last year you could actually handle the issues. They're not on microfilm, yet.
    Sorry I don't have better directions.

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Stephen. If only I was fit enough to travel such a distance. But it nearly killed me going to Tenbury Wells and back in September and London is twice as far as Tenbury Wells. Sometimes, vintage issues of The Daily Cinema from 1948 turn up on eBay, so maybe I'll be lucky one of these days and drop on the one with the premiere in it.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The amount of information that you get varies search to search and even within the pages that are brought back on an individual search. I too would prefer to look through the issues, like we do with the excellent pages that Stephen posts here at BritMovie, hence, the only solution would appear to be a trip to Cambridge.

Liked
    153 times

This brings us to the end of 1967. Happy New Year!

Liked
    98 times
    And a Happy New Year to you, too, Stephen. It's very interesting to see the photos of the refurbished Odeon, Leicester Square. You have been doing a wonderful job uploading all these vintage Kine Weekly pages over all this time and it really is much appreciated. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to learn that you've gone through quite a few scanners in the course of it.

Senior Member Country: UK Maureen Whittaker's Avatar
    Liked
    278 times
    A fascinating journey through 1967 with all the highlights one could possibly choose. Thank you so much for your time and effort on our behalf, Steve. This is one of the priceless threads we would miss if there was no more Britmovies.

Liked
    153 times
    Thank you both Darrenburnfan and Maureen for your kind words.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678