Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Opens with a group of kids playing near a tall building under construction with a group of workers on a break sitting nearby. One of the workers takes an unhealthy interest in one of the girls, and ends up chasing her up and up to the top of the building where she falls to her death. Very dramatic chase scene.
    It was probably no more than 20 minutes long, b & w (well, our tv was anyway), and seen in mid 1960s so probably early 60s or late 50s. Definitely a UK film. Thanks to any one who can help id this

Liked
    0 times
    This was definitely a British "New Wave" film short and I'm puzzled that no one over there can identify it. My wife says probably nobody old enough to remember it. haha.
    After nearly 50 years I can still recall it fairly clearly. Filling in some details. The kids were in the 7-10 year age range. The area they were playing in may have been a waste ground/vacant lot rather than a park. Likely as the construction was immediately adjacent. The building was 4 to 6 stories high. I can't remember if it was steel or wood frame, but there was just the skeleton/bare frame of the building up, with (for some reason) a completed staircase going up.
    There's no way this was Canadian/US/Europe film, definitely UK.
    Something of this quality must have left a trail. Help!

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    At only 20 minutes long, it's not exactly a movie and sounds a bit too brief for such an emotive subject.

Are you sure it wasn't some kind of public information film about the dangers of kids playing on building sites, and you've reinterpreted the "plot" within your memory?

It deffo sounds a bit too far out even for nowadays to be honest. I imagine the Society of Master Builders would quite take exception to the implications.

Liked
    0 times
    Yours is a valid question, but I am adamant this was no documentary. I have a good memory and this has stuck with me clearly all these years. I was about 14 yrs old at the time. It was a short and a real thriller. There is room for error in the length as one doesn't usually view with a stop watch in hand. So it could've been 15 to 30 minutes long.
    Thanks for your interest and feedback.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    Sounds a bit like "Never take sweets from a stranger" it was about 2 little girls but they were playing on swings and it was a peodaphile that was watching them from a window i know it had both British and Canadian actors in. Here is a link to it on you tube. It's worth a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMYVqJsVmMM
    Last edited by Carmel; 25-01-13 at 06:49 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the suggestion Carmel. I doubt this was a Hammer production, but can't rule it out. Its very briefness suggests something of more quality.
    But I never thought of Youtube. Searched "British thriller short films" or something & got 1600 hits, so will have a look around.

Liked
    0 times
    I found it. "Big City Blues" 1962, 20 minutes long. What I had wrong was it is French, not UK, and the men were not construction workers, but drifters. Now to find a copy

Senior Member Country: UK SilverTyne's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for coming back and telling us the solution tonyd. I wish everyone would do the same!

Glad you found it.

Liked
    0 times
    You're welcome. It was Dutch, released in France. Nominated for Academy Awards in 1963 for best Live Action Short Film. Such a wonderful film, it's a shame that it is not readily available. I hope it doesn't take me another two years to find a copy to view. Cheers!

Member Country: Europe Richard A's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Not sure if you've seen this, tonyd, but this short piece (in Dutch) on director Charles Huguenot van der Linden includes some clips (mainly at the beginning and about 3/4 of the way through)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkjWL9GcO-M

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for posting this Richard, I hadn't seen it. Am in contact with "Netherlands Institute for Sound & Vision" who have the film in their archives & hopefully, will get to view