Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a few films on this subject but would like the names of more, especially any British films about the Atomic bomb if such films exist.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Do you mean about the creation of atomic bombs or about their use (actual or dramatised)?

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowe View Post
    I have a few films on this subject but would like the names of more
    Which ones have you got?
    (might save some time)

I can't think of a single one............

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    If dramatic, I have seen in the past, two versions about the heroes of Telemark. One, I think was Norwegian, but I could be wrong. It was in black and white and had sub-titles. And of course there was the colour film with Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris; THE HEROES OF TELEMARK. Remember that Nazi Germany was also developing an atom bomb.

But in 1995, there were some documentaries broadcast I think by the BBC. One followed the men who dropped the bomb around Hiroshima. This had the very emotional moment that when the interviewer asked a Japanese doctor what happened to the men who dropped the bomb? The doctor assumed that were all dead. The intervewer then told him that they were standing in front of him. There was a moment of emotional silence; before the doctor surprisingly, said that he was honoured to meet them.

The BBC also put out a very interesting documentary about the development and dropping of the two atom bombs. But I would not advise looking at it, or listening to the stories, if you are squeamish. But if you can watch it, it is excellent.

I do not know if the BBC have put these out on video tape or disc. It might be worthwhile investigating there.

There have been numerous series such as WAR IN THE AIR and VICTORY AT SEA, which will refer to this traumatic event.

I would also suggest you might find it worhwhile to contact The Imperial War Museum in Lambeth; and The Science Museum in London.

But again, I strongly advise you check what viewing catagory the productions have. There are certain terrible stories and sights which some people may find hard listening to and watch.

I wish you luck.

Alan French.

Liked
    418 times
    The Heroes of Telemark (1965) took place in Norway, but the film was British. A quite accurate portrayal of the attack on the heavy water plant in Telemark, Norway. The first attack failed when the glider carrying the commandos crashed and they were all killed. But another attack by Norwegian members of SOE and the local Norwegian resistance succeeded spectacularly.

Also check out The Real Heroes of Telemark (2003) where Ray Mears shows how the Norwegian SOE members survived the winter on a frozen lake - with contribution from surviving (in 2003) members of the Norwegian SOE team.

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    If you're looking for films about the use of atomic weapons (dramatised), then you can't do much better than Threads (1984). A TV movie about a nuclear attack on Sheffield during the cold war. The Americans made a similar TV movie, The Day After (1983), but for me that was spoiled by having too many famous faces in it. Threads was mainly about ordinary people and is portrayed by ordinary people.

Or possibly The War Game (1965), bleak, bleak, bleak - perfect

Or, for a more humorous look at it, try The Bed Sitting Room (1969)

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I'm really looking for films about "The Manhattan Project" but you've aroused my interest in a wider field with your very welcome suggestions. The ones I have are:
    Above and Beyond (1952)
    The Beginning or the End (1947)
    Day One (TV 1989)
    Fat Man and Little Boy (1989)

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Possibly you've read this already.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/142580...t-atomic-bomb#

Liked
    0 times
    I hadn't seen that article before but found it very informative. Thank you. Incidentally, Hume Cronyn also appeared in "Day One" but as a different character.Does anyone have the names of the BBC Documentaries named above?

Liked
    418 times
    You should also check out the stories of people like Julius & Ethel Rosenberg, Klaus Fuchs and others. Also the shameful way that Oppenheimer was treated during the paranoia at the time

Steve

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    A very interesting Documentary from the 1970's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwbiRrVAJzw

Liked
    9 times
    The excellent Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is always worth a look, and a search on 'film' on their website came up with Countdown to Zero' http://www.thebulletin.org/web-editi...ntdown-to-zero and White Light/Black Rain http://www.thebulletin.org/web-editi...ving-hiroshima .

They also give a heads up on Oliver Stone's 'Untold History of the United States' TV series http://www.sho.com/sho/oliver-stones...isode/5#/index, with episodes 3 & 5 perhaps being useful.

Google Scholar is very helpful (they've got it easy now..now in my day..), with mentions of 'The Day after Trinity : J. Robert Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb' http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/...www?key=337340 - a 1980 documentary. There is a book called 'Celluloid mushroom clouds: Hollywood and the atomic bomb' http://www.getcited.org/pub/100317197 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celluloid-Mu.../dp/0813391415, and Atomic Bomb Cinema: Illness, Suffering, and the Apocalyptic Narrative Atomic Bomb Cinema: Illness, Suffering, and the Apocalyptic Narrative. Thanks to Google Books (put in the subject and see what comes up) there is also Film and the Nuclear Age:Representing Cultural Anxiety by Toni Perrine 1998, Nuclear war films by Jack Shaheen 1978, Nuclear movies:a critical analysis and filmography of international feature length films dealing with experimentation, aliens, terrorism, holocaust, and other disaster scenarios, 1914-1990 by Mick Broderick 1991 and By the Bomb's Early Light:American Thought and Culture at the Dawn of the Atomic Age by Paul Boyer 1985

There are also journal articles http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...1.1994.9943672, and Nathan Reingold wrote an article called 'Metro Goldwyn Mayer meets the Atomic Bomb' which you'll find in 'Expository Science: Forms and Functions of Popularisation' edited by T. Shinn, Richard P. Whitley, 1985. A search also came up with 'Hollywood, Propaganda and the Bomb: Nuclear Images in Post World War II Films', by Garth S Jowett, in Film & History: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Film and Television Studies Volume 18, Number 2, May 1988 pp. 26-38. Thanks to the net, its much eaier to find all of these, but if stuck, your local library should be able to supply them in some form via the British Library (I used to have to order paper copies of articles, and wait for ages, so much easier). Of course none of these look like a light read...

The BL will also hold PhD thesis, and a quick look on the net (which I can't face at the moment) is bound to bring up a fair number, not only on the Manhatten Project, but pretty much anything to do with nuclear bombs and the movies. You might well find them on University websites as well, even if they hav'nt published yet (I know that feeling).

Actual films? 633 Squadron is about the destruction of a 'heavy water plant', and 'Kiss Me Deadly' has the "The great whatsit", which is presumably nuclear material. Seven Days to Noon is also about the threat of nuclear weapons, and The Day the Earth Caught Fire is caused by atomic tests. I vaguely remember a TV drama about the debriefing of the German scientists after their capture by the British, but since I cant find anything about it, it might be my beer poisoned brain!

Personally, I think Matinee from 1993 is probably the most fun - a very particular view of the Cuban Missle Crisis, and a sweet film as well.

Liked
    0 times
    the video from billy farmer was only brilliant,and MikeB's comprehensive contribution was awe inspiring. The amount of knowledge available on this site is both amazing and humbling. thanks to all for your help.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    Regarding my earlier post. The film that was foreign and may have been Norwegian, I saw circa 1952 in Warford. I accept that I may have connected it with Norway because of the location story. It was black and white and had subtitles. It was a 'B' film along with a Hollywood comedy.

But looking at the responses, there are some excellent suggestions made by members.

Alan French.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    Again; since my last post, unless I have missed it in any of the above, The highly acclaimed non british film HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR. I do not think anyone's mentioned DOCTOR STRANGELOVE either. There is also a very good American film with suspense titled FAIL SAFE.

Alan French.
    Last edited by alan french; 17-03-13 at 03:01 PM.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Haven't read the other thread, but the best portrayal of the making of the bomb is the BBC's 7-parter 'Oppenheimer' with Sam Waterston in the title role. Made in 1980. It is floating around You Tube if you look carefully.

Liked
    6 times
    Didn't Laurel and Hardy's last film Atoll K (aka Robinson Crusoeland) have something to do with this subject?
    Last edited by pelam123; 19-03-13 at 12:31 AM.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    55 times
    Ray Mears did a wonderful three part documentary on the raid on Telemark including interviews with survivors of the raid; its in three parts and well worth watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8c7JgF_5Os