Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This has always been a real favourite of mine, and never gets much of a mention in discussions of Hammer Films. Watching it again I was alarmed at how much the exterior scenes go from day to night and back again in different shots but despite that, what a lovely little film it is and how damn good the Marsh Phantoms look. Always wondered what they actually did to achieve that weird effect with them. Any other fans of this film out there?

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    According to "Hammer Films, The Bray Studio Years" Hammer's special effects man Les Bowie used Reflective Codit paint made by the Minnesota Mining Company. This paint is used on road signs and "glares back at you". The film is also one of my favourites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pye View Post
    This has always been a real favourite of mine, and never gets much of a mention in discussions of Hammer Films. Watching it again I was alarmed at how much the exterior scenes go from day to night and back again in different shots but despite that, what a lovely little film it is and how damn good the Marsh Phantoms look. Always wondered what they actually did to achieve that weird effect with them. Any other fans of this film out there?

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    This is also a favourite film of mine. It's interesting to compare it with the contemporary more child-oriented Disney version Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow with Patrick McGoohan, which I vividly remember seeing in the cinema.

P.S. Jim Brady is in both films!
    Last edited by Gerald Lovell; 21-03-13 at 07:02 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    It's a jollyfine film, I love it, in fact anything with St Peter in it can't fail in my eyes.

The poster made good use of the Skeletons on Horseback too...

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    According to "Hammer Films, The Bray Studio Years" Hammer's special effects man Les Bowie used Reflective Codit paint made by the Minnesota Mining Company. This paint is used on road signs and "glares back at you". The film is also one of my favourites.
    Interesting, thanks for that. There's also something done to the film in the first shot, it looks like its been washed out somehow.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    This is also a favourite film of mine. It's interesting to compare it with the contemporary more child-oriented Disney version Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow with Patrick McGoohan, which I vividly remember seeing in the cinema.

P.S. Jim Brady is in both films!
    The Hammer film is closer to the novels IMHO. Both highly entertaining

Liked
    0 times
    Do you ever get that thing where you rediscover a film and then find you watch it three nights in a row? Its a great bedtime film. Spooky and yet charming. I love Patrick Allen in it, in fact all the characters are very well drawn. The first time I watched it as a child I wanted more of the phantoms but as an adult I rejoice in the wonderful skulduggery. Nice to see Michael Ripper get a bigger role than usual. Cushing is tremendously cheeky.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    This is a film I have always thought of as good.

When I saw it at the cinema, it was in colour. However, about 18 months ago, a member from my club (Hemel Hempstead Movie Makers) put on a special presentation and talk regarding Hammer Films, using a 16mm film projector one Saturday afternoon. He, at one point showed an extract from this film. But unfortunately, it was in black and white. It was never-the-less, still very effective. I was sorry that we did not see the whole film. Our member had worked in the film industry in different capacities. This included being a film projectionist at one of our local cinemas. The now demolished Princess.

I gather that another projectionist at this cinema was Les Bowie. He eventually went into special effects, as already mentioned elsewhere on this thread. In 1978, he won an oscar for his special effect work for SUPERMAN.

Alan French

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    IMHO the books would adapt well for TV as two hour dramas. Obviously Disney doesn't agree.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    A great film, which i watched on DVD earlier this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J1vwZIsJdU

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Thanks Billy, Great to see those Marsh Phantoms again.