Thread: Toothpaste?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a b/w film, probably of the 1930s. It is a very boring and uninspired movie except there is in the middle a sudden musical number of extreme brilliance in which the hero gets dressed to music. It is a true gem but I cannot remember anyhting else about it. I am pretty sure he brushes his teeth in it!

Suzepulcheria

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by suzepulcheria View Post
    I am pretty sure he brushes his teeth in it!
    If it included Max Bygraves, I know the song............

Liked
    0 times
    You monster, Moor Larkin! I saw that I had a reply and I thought you knew the film!

S

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I don't think Jeremiah Harbottle was in it.

Nick

Liked
    0 times
    I found it! It is 'I Live For Love' (1935) with Everett Marshall and Dolores del Rio. The scene I was thinking of has nothing to do with brushing teeth- it is about shaving- so no wonder no-one got it! But it is brilliant. It is EM (serious and operatic of course) plus Allen Jenkins (hilarious) and three guys who are like the Three Stooges but not the Three Stooges. Great stuff. I would upload the bit as I cannot imagine there are any copyright issues but I am unable to do so on my 2006 mac.
    S
    PS Why Jeremiah Harbottle? Oh- because of his single tooth I suppose!

Liked
    120 times
    I found it! It is 'I Live For Love' (1935) with Everett Marshall and Dolores del Rio. The scene I was thinking of has nothing to do with brushing teeth- it is about shaving-
    This one has shaving and singing too......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4G73OCwX1E

Liked
    0 times
    My browser at work does not support youtube pictures but as I hear Myrna Loy I assume that the movie is Mr Blandings. Great stuff of course but not as brilliant as the one I mention. Years ago when my daughter was only about 7 I was in a strop and she and her father decided to stage an opera (invented for the occasion) in our playroom called Alfredo e Tartuffi. I sat down with a mutinous sulky expression. Then my husband flounced on as the woman whose cakes Alfred burned. He wore a headscarf and apron and wielded a shocking pink feather duster. He launched into a recitative. I thought I would die laughing. Well, the film sequence is a bit like that!

S

Liked
    120 times
    My browser at work does not support youtube pictures but as I hear Myrna Loy I assume that the movie is Mr Blandings.
    Yes indeed. You'll probably just think, "he would say that", but I tried browsing some Busby Berkely, thinking nobody else would make a daft film with a musical number about brushing teeth. When I found Mr. Blandings (incidentally) I wondered if a scene involving shaving might be what you remembered but the idea of a troupe of leggy girls on plinths shaving, was moor than I could bear.

Anyhow.............
    Synopsis Of I Live For Love
    Though Busby Berkeley is the director of I Live for Love, there isn't a dancer or dance number anywhere to be seen. Dolores Del Rio stars as hot-tempered South American stage favorite Donna Alvarez, who is brought to America to headline a Broadway show. The film details the backstage romance between Donna and her handsome co-star Roger Kerry (played by Everett Marshall, an opera star who'd last been seen on-screen in 1930's Dixiana). They fight, make up, fight again, make up again, and fight and make up again. And that's all, folks.
    The film's singular highlight is the barbershop-quartet lampoon "A Man Must Shave".

http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/m...61643#readMore

Liked
    0 times
    Yes I have seen Blandings now I am home. I agree with your blockbuster review. Don't worry- no shaving of legs by pretty girls!

S