Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I know that strictly speaking this isn't a British film, but there is so much British talent involved I hope you will indulge me. Having seen it again on DVD, I just had to post my complete love of this classic horror.

Apparently it completely bombed in the US but was one of the biggest box office successes in the UK. Then it was considered lost until a copy turned up in the sixties. Thank goodness for that.

Great script, James Whale direction on top form, absolutely legendary cast. A complete joy.

Karloff mutters incoherently as the "mute" butler Morgan. Mervyn Douglas as the stranded traveller at the door - "Even Welsh oughtn't to sound like that!"

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Great film imo and the 1963 William Castle remake by Hammer films was pretty good too

Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    "It's come'in down in buckets out there" I love the Old Dark House, a first rate performance from all the cast. Mind most of the great 30's U.S. Horror films had predominantly British cast and crew...Do have a Potato...

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    . . . or a gin. It's my only weakness . . .

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I love almost all of the early Universal Horrors, but I'm afraid this one left me cold.....it does have it's fans, though.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pricey View Post
    I know that strictly speaking this isn't a British film, but there is so much British talent involved I hope you will indulge me. Having seen it again on DVD, I just had to post my complete love of this classic horror.

Apparently it completely bombed in the US but was one of the biggest box office successes in the UK. Then it was considered lost until a copy turned up in the sixties. Thank goodness for that.

Great script, James Whale direction on top form, absolutely legendary cast. A complete joy.

Karloff mutters incoherently as the "mute" butler Morgan. Mervyn Douglas as the stranded traveller at the door - "Even Welsh oughtn't to sound like that!"
    great film, one of Whale's best I think. I have the DVD with a commentary by Gloria Stuart- classic

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst_Isle View Post
    Great film imo and the 1963 William Castle remake by Hammer films was pretty good too
    I only saw it once about 30 years ago, my memory of it was it was it was a very board laboured comedy much closer aimed as the used to say in the Daily Cinema at provincial audiences

Junior Member Country: England Reaky's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    This one is crying out for a proper DVD (or even better, blu-ray) release. All existing releases have been from a damaged 16mm print, but the US Library of Congress has a gorgeous 35mm print. Clips from this finer source can be seen in Kevin Brownlow's Universal Horrors documentary.

I consider the film one of Whale's finest, brimming with his dark wit, and an extremely British film to come out of Hollywood. Gloria Stuart has recounted how she felt rather left out when the predominantly Brit cast and crew stopped daily at four for tea .

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    The Castle version is an in-name-only remake and bares no relation to the novel.