Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a picture of my local cinema in Middlesbrough,(sadly been demolished about 52 years) This is supposed to have been taken around 1960. I think it is before that. The three film posters in the centre of this pic are important since this is where the titles are displayed. After lots of enlarging the picture and using a magnifying glass, i can only offer this 'help' (if it is indeed help!). The poster in the middle must be ignored since it is so blurred. The one on the left is , I believe, something ''BOY''. The one on the right may well be ''PRINCE OF PIRATES'',which was released in 1937 i think.
    Thanks for any help you can give me. I have tried to get all the something ''BOY'' titles but seem to get so many before it stops.
    PS, I have tried to enlarge this the best I could. It is full screen on my laptop as i use it for my picture on start up, but this is as big as I can get it on here.
    copyright Trinity Mirror plc.

Last edited by kevvo; 02-07-13 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added extra info

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Elephant Boy and Petticoat Pirates?

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    The car parked in front of the theater appears to be a later model than the 30's. Could it be The Winslow Boy, as it looks 40's-ish?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    The Winslow Boy is my choice too. The right hand advert is ".....OF pirates", Gerald I'm sure it is. The car looks like a Wolseley quite often used in post-war black and white police dramas-a 6/80 I think.

The cinema is not on the database of CinemaTreasures so thats that. Neither can see it on any of the postcard sites of Britain relating to Middlesbrough that I refer to with local history stuff in my area.

I'll go for late 1950's with the photo anyway.

Liked
    0 times
    definitely sure the the right hand poster is something 'OF pirates'. 'Elephant Boy' too early i think.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Prince of Pirates from 1953?

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    The Flanagan Boy ? 1953

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Coward View Post
    Prince of Pirates from 1953?
    well you may be right you know! It was my original guess, but somehow i feel that blurred first word isn't 'Prince', but i couldn't find anything else when i googled it so it could very well be that one! And 1957 you say? same year as the guess from the chap before you regarding the 'Boy' pic.Thanks Si.

Liked
    0 times
    Good guess cassidy! For some strange reason i was only getting a small amount of answers for all films ending with 'Boy'. But you may be right because Simon Coward's guess for 'Prince of pirates' is for the same year. If only the photographer had taken another three steps forward...... Oh well. that the beauty of cinema, more questions than answers! Thanks cassidy.