Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Not strictly a new release but you can catch the newly digitally restored full length version (216min) at the BFI throughout August.

I remember seeing this on home video in the 80's and even in 4:3 in a much cut version it didn't seem anywhere near as bad as critics had suggested. A great opportunity to see it as intended and re-assess its merits.

Liked
    9 times
    It would be interesting to actually seeing the film (particualrly on the big screen), having heard so much about it. However, it is on Blu-Ray, and is apparently a fantastic release http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heaven...Blu-ray/53150/

Of course Heavens Gate dominates the narrative of Final Cut http://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Cut-Ma...4181581&sr=1-3 by Steven Bach - which is one of the best books ever written about Hollywood. Hopefully, even if we can't make it to the BFI, at some point we can all see what the fuss was about!

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    They showed the long version on BBC 2 a few times about 20 years ago. I liked it.

Liked
    7 times
    The film that effectively ended the career of its director and caused the the closing of United Artists.There is a very interesting book about the making of the film and its repercussions

Liked
    7 times
    The long version has been the only one available for about 20 years now. The existing DVD (of the long version) is in need of a restoration as it is fairly murky. I believe Criterion have now released a much better Blu Ray in the US.

The film looks very pretty but is incredibly self-indulgent (lots of roller skating and waltzing) and the ending makes little sense.

Final Cut is well worth a read.
    Last edited by m35541; 19-07-13 at 02:18 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK slartybarty's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The new Criterion release is one of the most amazing restorations I have ever seen. It bears no relation to the film we all saw in cinemas or on DVD.
    Gone is the smoky diffused photography. It is an unbelievable change to what we know. The booklet explains what has been done and why. More importantly it tells of the finding of the original elements of the film and how everything has been produced from that. also explained is the complete nonsense that went on trying to bring the film to the cinemas and the reasons for the poor quality of the post production work.
    Anyone interested in this movie should get this issue.
    I don't know whether it will be issued in Europe like this.

The book "Final Cut" in an amazing account of the madness that took place making this film. It should be read by all who are interested in the Movie itself and of how United Artists came crashing down because of it.

Liked
    6 times
    Saw it at the NFT on Saturday. There's no doubt it is very impressive in places and Vilmos Zsigmond's stunning cinematography means it's never ordinary to look at but... it's a very flawed film and I don't think it necessarily deserves to be re-assessed as a "Masterpiece" (which it isn't). It's far too long at 3 1/2 hours and there is an awful lot of padding that could be cut. The long opening sequence at the Harvard graduation ceremony is totally superfluous as is John Hurt's valedictory speech which made no sense at all.

The plot is simple to say the least; Good Guys v Bad Guys. The problem is that the town under threat is made up of so many nationalities all speaking often in their own languages with no subtitles that is it is hard to identify with any of them or tell them apart. The sound recording is also a problem as in an early scene where there is important plot exposition but there is so much background noise it is virtually impossible to hear anything the actors are saying!

Overall the cast is very good and I'd say it is definitely worth seeing but it is still a picture that would benefit from some judicious editing and is far too self-indulgent of its Writer/Director.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I like this film. All the money that was spent is up there on the screen and the cinematography is awesome. The cast are generally OK and do well under what must have been difficult circumstances. As is often the case, however, the film is derailed in places by a mediocre script and by the self-indulgence of it's director. Despite it's flaws, IMHO this is a must see film, especially for those who like epic westerns.

Liked
    9 times
    The sound recording is also a problem as in an early scene where there is important plot exposition but there is so much background noise it is virtually impossible to hear anything the actors are saying!
    This chimes with Bach's thoughts about the films first viewing for the UA execs (all 5 hours and 25 minutes of it!) - ' It was an orgy of brilliant pictorial effects.....we became disorientated, victims of sensory overload, deafened by undifferentiated sound tracks.....accents all talking at once, or more, all singing at once.....I felt bludgeoned by vainglory and excess, surfeited by style, sound and fury. My own.'.

Perhaps some of the views of the film come from the fact that some see it as a restored masterpiece (such as Peter Bradshaw), rescued from the butchery of a panicking studio, while others see it as the self indulgent excess of a would-be Hollywood wunderkind, which helped more-or-less kill a studio. Remember that critics were divided even at the time, with the FT calling it 'the greatest American movie of the last ten years'.

Personally, I would like to see for myself, but its going to have to be on the big screen, or at least on blu-ray.

Strangely, the $44m that it cost (or at least that was the sum that was written off against it) is somewhere around two and a half times that value in 2007 according to the US Consumer Price Index (it could be nearer 4.5 times if you take the relative share of GDP). If you average the various multipliers out at about 3.5 times to bring that figure up to date, thats $154m. Sounds huge, even now. But its probably about $90m short (or more) of the cost of the new Lone Ranger film, which will be a flop (Johnny Depp with a dead bird on his head - sounds like box office!), which is hated by the critics, but wont kill the studio (although it is a warning).

And Heaven's Gate, for all its flaws, did try to be art, which is not something which can be said of most Hollywood movies today.

Senior Member Country: UK slartybarty's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    A question for Pelam - Which print did you see t the NFT, was it the smoky picture version or was it the newly restored version?

anyone wanting a taste of this new restoration need only watch this -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVUfnWwqNAg

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    This chimes with Bach's thoughts about the films first viewing for the UA execs (all 5 hours and 25 minutes of it!) - ' It was an orgy of brilliant pictorial effects.....we became disorientated, victims of sensory overload, deafened by undifferentiated sound tracks.....accents all talking at once, or more, all singing at once.....I felt bludgeoned by vainglory and excess, surfeited by style, sound and fury. My own.'.

Perhaps some of the views of the film come from the fact that some see it as a restored masterpiece (such as Peter Bradshaw), rescued from the butchery of a panicking studio, while others see it as the self indulgent excess of a would-be Hollywood wunderkind, which helped more-or-less kill a studio. Remember that critics were divided even at the time, with the FT calling it 'the greatest American movie of the last ten years'.

Personally, I would like to see for myself, but its going to have to be on the big screen, or at least on blu-ray.

Strangely, the $44m that it cost (or at least that was the sum that was written off against it) is somewhere around two and a half times that value in 2007 according to the US Consumer Price Index (it could be nearer 4.5 times if you take the relative share of GDP). If you average the various multipliers out at about 3.5 times to bring that figure up to date, thats $154m. Sounds huge, even now. But its probably about $90m short (or more) of the cost of the new Lone Ranger film, which will be a flop (Johnny Depp with a dead bird on his head - sounds like box office!), which is hated by the critics, but wont kill the studio (although it is a warning).

And Heaven's Gate, for all its flaws, did try to be art, which is not something which can be said of most Hollywood movies today.
    Disney announced this week that they would lose well over �100 million on The Lone Ranger.So vanity and excess are still there waiting to rear their ugly heads.Anyone seen it?Is it that bad?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    Anyone seen it?Is it that bad?
    Haven't seen it, but the trailer and the fact that it comes from the same team who made the woeful POTC films should be enough to warn most people off.

Liked
    9 times
    So vanity and excess are still there waiting to rear their ugly heads
    Thats Hollywood!

Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slartybarty View Post
    A question for Pelam - Which print did you see t the NFT, was it the smoky picture version or was it the newly restored version?

anyone wanting a taste of this new restoration need only watch this -
    It was/is the restored version, but they have maintained the grainy look of the original quite nicely.
    Last edited by batman; 09-08-13 at 10:26 PM.