Thread: Gaslight

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    But by "Dual format" they mean that you get a DVD & a Blu-ray, not, as I hoped, that they would include the 1944 George Cukor remake with Charles Boyer & Ingrid Bergman so that people could see how much worse it is than the 1940 Thorold Dickinson version with Thorold Dickinson & Diana Wynyard

Steve

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Very welcome news - the 1940 version is released on 18th November 2013 ... DVD/Blu-Ray - Amazon claim 'it's been unseen for many decades - this definitive version has been digitally restored by the BFI.' I hope the audio (which was poor) has been restored to the standard of the Hollywood remake.

Its not exactly decades since - Gaslight (1940) was last shown - it was broadcast on BBC4 in 2007 as part of Stephen Fry's 50th birthday personal choices weekend, and more recently on Film4 in July 2012.

I've always liked the 1944 version - I saw this first and enjoyed the ingenious plotting and Boyer's, Bergman's and Cotten's fine performances - but I agree the British version is superior mainly because of Anton Walbrook's brilliant portrayal of wonderfully deranged, unhinged evil.
    Emma
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 29-07-13 at 04:46 AM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    And it was included as an extra on the US DVD of the Boyer/Bergman "Gaslight" - so hardly "unseen for many decades" (unless they mean in the period between the 1944 remake and the recent past, when DVD became available?)

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by siriami View Post
    ... so hardly "unseen for many decades" ...
    That's why we always ignore advertising hyperbole

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    ,,,the 1940 Thorold Dickinson version with Thorold Dickinson & Diana Wynyard

Steve
    er... Anton Walbrook and Diana Wynyard (but you knew that)

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_emma_peel View Post

Its not exactly decades since - Gaslight (1940) was last shown - it was broadcast on BBC4 in 2007 as part of Stephen Fry's 50th birthday personal choices weekend, and more recently on Film4 in July 2012.

I've always liked the 1944 version - I saw this first and enjoyed the ingenious plotting and Boyer's, Bergman's and Cotten's fine performances - but I agree the British version is superior mainly because of Anton Walbrook's brilliant portrayal of wonderfully deranged, unhinged evil.
    Emma

Charles Boyer was a very fine screen actor and did this rather well - Anton Walbrook of course, is something else again. As for the 'unseen' idea, I believe MGM attempted to supress all prints of the British version when they decided to remake it, so it did 'disappear' for a while but thankfully has been seen several times in recent years on tv, and seems to be part of the BFI's Gothic season this autumn, judging by their excellent trailer, although no dates or other details.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by charliekane View Post
    er... Anton Walbrook and Diana Wynyard (but you knew that)
    Dratted copy & paste - it didn't copy but it pasted what was last copied

Steve

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Release date: 18th Nov 2013

Cover and specs

Special Features:

Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition;
    Spanish A B C (Thorold Dickinson and Sidney Cole, 1938, 20 mins): a short film on the Republican efforts to improve education standards during the Spanish Civil War;
    Behind the Spanish Lines (Sidney Cole and Thorold Dickinson, 1938, 20 mins): a companion piece to Spanish Civil War;
    Westward Ho! (Thorold Dickinson, 1940, 9 mins): a short film to promote the evacuation of urban children to rural areas;
    Miss Grant Goes to the Door (Brian Desmond Hurst, 1940, 7 mins): a short film about a German invasion from a story by Thorold Dickinson;
    Yesterday is Over Your Shoulder (Thorold Dickinson, 1940, 9 mins): a short film encouraging unskilled workers to join free, government organised, engineering training schemes;
    Original promotional materials and documents from the BFI National Archive Special Collections (downloadable PDF, DVD only);
    Illustrated booklet featuring full credits and essays from Henry K Miller, Iain Sinclair, Philip Horne, Peter Swaab and Michael Brooke.