Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    British b&w film, maybe 60s, based in small town / village possibly in Scotland but not sure. Alien visitor from outer space crashes on earth terrorising the locals. Feeding on power / energy it attacks a car, being attracted to it's bright headlights, the villagers find the empty car with the battery burst open. In another scene a car mechanic is attacked as he repairs a car using a welding torch, the villagers discover mechanic missing & the welding gas cylinder ripped open. That's all I can remember at the moment. Can anyone help ??

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I believe it's THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING (1964) Actually shot in Shere, Surrey- and there is more than one alien visitor. DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS is set in Scotland, but trust me, you'd remember the wonderful, PVC-clad Patricia Laffan...

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    8 times
    From your description, it could be Night Of The Big Heat with Christoper Lee. Peter Cushing meets his demise when the aliens are drawn to his car headlights and Kenneth Cope is a mechanic who dies in the garage. The film is set on an Island experiencing very hot weather in November. Problem is the film was in colour,but I did have an 8mm b/w print at one time. Check IMDB.

Liked
    22 times

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I thought of Night of the Big Heat as well. The whole film is on YouTube (and on DVD, rather
    expensively). This version has French subtitles and starts with the trailer. A cast of favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPDjc07Hxs

LA NUIT DE LA GRANDE CHALEUR (1967) VO Sous-Titr�e Fan�ais - Film Complet

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    "Night of the big heat" it is then !! You guys are great, this has been doing my head in for ages. Thinking about it now, isn't the "thing" a sort of giant glowing slug thing ? Bearing in mind it's an early British movie, "giant glowing slug thing" probably translates to :- man under a sheet of cellophane holding a light bulb........or am I being a cynic ?? Many thanks all, glad I joined up.

Liked
    4 times
    Fair enough. That was the other one I thought of, but...he said probably black and white, so I went for the earlier one.

Methinks that like many of us of a certain age, he was probably watching it on a black and white television...