Thread: Amicus horror?

Member Country: England
    Liked
    9 times
    I'm sure that this will be answered very quickly...I'm disappointed with myself for not knowing the answer.

A woman at work was asking about an old horror film that she had seen but nobody else she had spoken to knew of it. All she could remember was that a woman had brought home an African statue/doll that contained an evil spirit that eventually possessed her. What she particularly recalled was the end of the story where the woman was possessed and waiting with a knife for the arrival of someone who she was going to murder.

I recognised this straightaway as a segment from a portmanteau horror film but can't remember which one. I remember the scene at the end with her waiting and seem to remember the little statue having a chain on it which releases the thing that possesses her when the chain comes off.

I've had a look at the details of some of these films and tried the usual searches but couldn't find it.

Could someone please tell me the film and the name of the segment?

Many thanks

Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by melade View Post
    I'm sure that this will be answered very quickly...I'm disappointed with myself for not knowing the answer.

A woman at work was asking about an old horror film that she had seen but nobody else she had spoken to knew of it. All she could remember was that a woman had brought home an African statue/doll that contained an evil spirit that eventually possessed her. What she particularly recalled was the end of the story where the woman was possessed and waiting with a knife for the arrival of someone who she was going to murder.

I recognised this straightaway as a segment from a portmanteau horror film but can't remember which one. I remember the scene at the end with her waiting and seem to remember the little statue having a chain on it which releases the thing that possesses her when the chain comes off.

I've had a look at the details of some of these films and tried the usual searches but couldn't find it.

Could someone please tell me the film and the name of the segment?

Many thanks
    This perhaps:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073820/...m_flmg_act_164

E.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    If it's Amicus, it might be 'Wish You Were Here' from Tales From the Crypt (1972). With Richard Greene and Barbara Murray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oars...76C65D7A07A477

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    No, it's definitely the cult favourite "Trilogy Of Terror", as correctly identified by Euryale.
    The sequence described by Melade is the third segment starring Karen Black.

Liked
    9 times
    Thank you for the quick reply but now I'm confused.

I remember Trilogy of Terror but as soon as I saw the doll it wasn't the one I was thinking of though the picture of the woman waiting with the knife is similar. I therefore think that I've confused two stories.

So, is there a story from a portmanteau horror film that features a small, African wooden carving? Forget about the woman waiting with the knife as I think that I've imported this memory from Trilogy of Terror.

Liked
    9 times
    Thanks for the other replies (Tigon Man & Edward G).

I've been looking into it a bit more and think that the woman possessed was Trilogy of Terror but I've still got this image of an African idol in my mind.

I thought that it could have been "Wish You Were Here" but the statue isn't right but thanks for the clip - haven't seen this for many years.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    An African idol featured prominently in the bonkers Jack Palance horror Craze (1973) and there was also one creating havoc in one of the Hammer TV shows in the early eighties, but I can't remember which one.

Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    There was an African idol in The Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense an episode called Charlie Boy

Liked
    9 times
    Charlie Boy!

That's the African idol I was remembering.

I think that what I've done is confused a few different stories.

The answer to the original question that was inspired by my colleague was Trilogy of Terror. I've then added mis-remembered details. I've taken the end of Trilogy of Terror but remembered the doll as the one from Charlie Boy. I've also added a bit of Wish You Were Here as I remember the feel of it as being a bit like this.

Thank you to everyone who has helped to sort out my ageing, befuddled mind.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by melade View Post
    I've taken the end of Trilogy of Terror but remembered the doll as the one from Charlie Boy. I've also added a bit of Wish You Were Here as I remember the feel of it as being a bit like this.
    That's virtually a film pitch

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    The Zuni Doll story from Trilogy Of Terror with Karen Black is reworked in the follow up Trilogy Of Terror 2,this time with Lysette Anthony playing the lead role in each of the 3 segments.The doll segment is set in a museum this time with anthony playing an anthropologist.The first two stories are different to the original film and aren't too bad.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Charlie Boy was known as a "fetish " - never ever heard this term used for this before or after
    Wonder where Charlie Boy is today ?- probably gathering dust in some cupboard , or a film crew member took him home ? ( rather him than me!)

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tali122 View Post
    Charlie Boy was known as a "fetish " - never ever heard this term used for this before or after
    It's a legitimate, if little used term for something like that.
    See Fetishism

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    3 times
    i used to communicate with a huge hammer fan and collector who is now a well known film director and he told me he owns "charlie boy",so he is being well looked after..