Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    One of my favourite CFF Films (definitely in my top ten of favourite CFF Films) is Haunters of the Deep (1984), which i can first remember seeing when it was shown by the BBC in 1986, when the BBC used to show CFF Films under the title of Friday Film Special, Haunters of the Deep (along with two other CFF Films) has recently been released on DVD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children's-F...O4/ref=sr_1_1? in Haunters of the Deep, US Company Aminco Mining are planning to re-open the old Cornish Strangles Head Mine, where they will find a rich seam of tin, the re-opening of the Mine will provide plenty of employment for people in the area, while staying at a local hotel with his daughter Becky Roche (Amy Taylor), Mr Roche (Bob Sherman), who is president of Aminco Mining, and Dave Shannon (Sean Arnold) are warned about the Mine by Captain Tregellis (Andrew Keir, one of my favourite Actors), Captain Tregellis had worked down Strangles Head Mine (many years before) when he was a boy, Mr Roche and Dave Shannon do not heed Captain Tregellis's warning, soon after local boy Josh Holman (Gary Simmons) sees a ghostly figure (of a boy) not far from the village (where he lives), Josh is confused about the sighting, but the reason for the sighting will become clear the next day, when Mrs Holman (Josh's mum, played by Barbara Ewing) decides that Josh can spend the day with Mr Roche's daughter Becky, Haunters of the Deep featured a lot of location filming in Cornwall, the Cornish village of Portloe was used to represent the village where Josh Holman (and his family) and Captain Tregellis live in Haunters of the Deep, also among the cast of Haunters of the Deep were Brian Osborne (Mr Holman), Tom Watson (Frank Lacey), Peter Lovstrom (Daniel Holman), Patrick Murray (Jack), Barry Craine (rescue leader Trevor Dobson) and Philip Martin (the ghost of Billy Bray), Haunters of the Deep was directed by Andrew Bogle and produced by Gordon L.T. Scott, Haunters of the Deep is a very enjoyable CFF Film featuring a good cast, storyline and lots of location filming in Cornwall.
    Last edited by billy farmer; 27-09-13 at 07:31 PM.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    One of the best CFF films, Billy. However, because it was made as late as 1984, I don't think that there were many cinemas, if any at all, in the UK that were still holding children's Saturday matinee performances and it was probably only shown on television. This is the fourth CFF DVD from BFI and my copy is on its way to me from MovieMail as I write. I am looking forward to seeing the restored version of the film on the DVD.

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    Haunters of the Deep (along with two other CFF Films) has recently been released on DVD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children's-F...O4/ref=sr_1_1?
    Darrenburnfan, i received the above DVD (from Amazon) this week, and i thoroughly enjoyed watching Haunters of the Deep (on DVD) on Wednesday.

Liked
    308 times
    Mr Roche and his daughter Becky arriving (by car) at Strangles Head Mine.

Josh Holman (Gary Simmons), curious about the two visitors (Mr Roche and his daughter Becky) at Strangles Head
    Mine.

Josh Holman, arriving at the village harbour to greet his brother (Dan) and father who have been fishing, Josh is
    eager to tell his brother and father about the visitors at Strangles Head Mine.

Josh Holman (at the village harbour), listening to his brother and father talking about fishing and mining, Josh soon
    learns that his brother Dan is planning to go mining (down Strangles Head Mine) the next day.

Liked
    308 times
    Here is the link to a site, where you will find some interesting information about Gary Simmons (who played Josh Holman in Haunters of the Deep) - http://www.beegeesstory.com/Cast/Gary/index.html

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I watched this a couple of nights ago, really enjoyed it. Nice locations, the kids were good and there were some familiar faces to be spotted too. Not sure of his name but I'm sure it was Rodney's mate in Only Fools and Horses as the cowardly miner.

Liked
    98 times
    Some very interesting information about Josh; the making of the film and the premiere on that link, Billy. After over 13 years. I have finished with buying DVDs and any other items from amazon and now get my DVDs from MovieMail, who send them post free and by Royal Mail. Here below I am pasting in what I said about amazon's choice of couriers on the amazon complaints forum:

I have been an amazon customer for over 13 years and bought hundreds of items off them in that time and they used to be excellent. But, as you say, in the past six months, their service has really gone down hill rapidly. Now, I don't know whether, say, a DVD will be delivered by Royal Mail, or the totally useless Yodel, or the just as bad Amazon Logistics and, after the debacle of the past few days, I've decided that's it now. I am no longer an amazon customer, because I just can't put up with the hassle, or having to wait in all day for a delivery that may not arrive.

On July 18th this year, I pre-ordered a BFI DVD from amazon uk that was due to be released on Monday, September 23rd. On Saturday, September 21st, I was informed by amazon that my DVD was on its way...all well and good. It was marked as Despatched on My Account page for the item, which meant they had debited my credit card for it. Then, on Sunday, I received another email telling me that they couldn't despatch my item because they hadn't received it from their suppliers and they didn't know when the item was going to be available, if ever. I thought that was odd and contacted amazon about this and they told me that the email was sent in error and my item had definitely been despatched and was going to be delivered by Amazon Logistics. I thought, oh, no. They sent me two DVDs last week by Royal Mail and I received them without any trouble, as the postman has a fob key to enable him to get into the block of flats where I live and push the package through my letterbox at number 94. Now I would have to wait in all day for this courier.

Well, the next morning, the tracking facility on my amazon account said the item had left the Birmingham depot at 7:14 a.m. and was out for delivery. I waited all day for the buzzer to go and no one came. Then at around 4 pm, the phone rang. It was the Amazon Logistics driver, a black man who didn't understand English very well. From what I could gather, he was outside the block of flats, but had no idea how to call my flat on the door entry intercom system. I tried to explain to him that all he had to do was to press 9, then press 4 (that makes 94) and then press call, then the buzzer would ring in my flat on the tenth floor and I would press a button to let him in and he could come up to me in the lift. In the end, I told him to just wait down there where he was and I would come down to him, which I did, otherwise, I still wouldn't have my DVD.

After that debacle, I thought well, that's my last order with amazon and it will be. From now on, I will take a bus into the city centre and go to HMV and order my DVDs and return there a week later to pick them up. A lot of trouble, but not as bad as dealing with amazon. So goodbye amazon, that's another long term customer you've just lost for good.

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I watched this a couple of nights ago, really enjoyed it. Nice locations, the kids were good and there were some familiar faces to be spotted too. Not sure of his name but I'm sure it was Rodney's mate in Only Fools and Horses as the cowardly miner.
    Patrick Murray (Mickey Pearce in Only Fools and Horses) played Jack in Haunters of the Deep.

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    After over 13 years. I have finished with buying DVDs and any other items from amazon and now get my DVDs from MovieMail, who send them post free and by Royal Mail. Here below I am pasting in what I said about amazon's choice of couriers on the amazon complaints forum:
    Darrenburnfan, a disappointing experience with Amazon, foreign workers are difficult to deal with (you get a lot of them on the phone).

Liked
    98 times
    Darrenburnfan, a disappointing experience with Amazon, foreign workers are difficult to deal with (you get a lot of them on the phone).
    Yes, Billy, you'd think that the basic skills for being a courier driver in the UK would be someone who is fluent in English; can read a street map or operate a SatNav and, at the very least, know how to push a few buttons on the door entry system outside a block of flats. But it seems that as long as you can drive a van, they'll sign you up.

Anyway, apart from MovieMail DVDs being at least �2 cheaper than the same DVDs on amazon, and being post free (even if they are sent 2nd class), I know where I stand with Royal Mail deliveries, even if all the Royal Mail workers are all likely to have a national strike on October 23rd.

Liked
    308 times
    Mr Roche and his daughter Becky, arriving at their hotel.

Mr Roche (Bob Sherman) at the hotel, talking to his daughter Becky.

Captain Tregellis (Andrew Keir) at the hotel, warning Mr Roche and Dave Shannon about Strangles Head Mine.

Soon after Captain Tregellis's warning to Mr Roche and Dave Shannon, Josh Holman sees a ghostly figure (of a boy)
    not far from the village (where he lives).

Josh got really close to the ghostly figure (who kept repeating the same word), after running away from the ghostly
    figure, Josh mysteriously finds himself in a churchyard.

Liked
    98 times
    Well, my copy of the CFF Scary Stories DVD, which cost me �14 and was posted to me two weeks ago hasn't arrived and doesn't look like it will be coming now. Probably been pinched along the way. So tomorrow, off I go on the bus to HMV in the city centre and see if they've got one there and if not, to order one for picking up a week later. After ordering things online for nearly 14 years, I'll be buying locally from now on. Meanwhile, I shall try to get a refund from MovieMail and definitely a refund from MasterCard. I can't afford to throw �14 away, or, as Alan Bates said in A Kind of Loving: "They don't call me Rockefeller, y'know...I don't own Dawson and Whittaker's, y'know!"

Liked
    98 times
    Well, my CFF Scary Stories BFI DVD has finally arrived over two weeks after it was posted to me. It probably came up from the south of England by horse drawn canal barge. But, all’s well that ends well and it finally got here. This is the fourth volume in BFI’s three CFF features on a DVD series. All the previous volumes have featured films remastered from the original 35mm negatives and have looked marvelous. However, on this volume, only The Man From Nowhere (1975) has been remastered in 1.85:1 anamorphic wide screen from the original 35mm film negatives, while both the excellent Haunters of the Deep and the less than excellent Out of the Darkness have been remastered not from the 35mm versions, but from 4 x 3 ratio 16mm versions and it shows. Although they look as good as any 16mm film from the mid-1980s could look (which isn’t saying much), they both have a softness of focus about them and look rather grainy. The difference in image quality between the 35mm The Man From Nowhere and the two in 16mm is very noticeable indeed. So what are the BFI saying by doing this? That the original 35mm negatives from Haunters of the Deep and Out of the Darkness no longer exist? And if so, why not, as they are both less than thirty years old. I was expecting a really clear image on the Haunters of the Deep transfer, but as it is, it looks no better than the bootleg copy I’ve had for years.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 08-10-13 at 09:13 PM.

Liked
    308 times
    Josh goes to find his brother Dan to tell him about his strange experience, unfortunately Dan is to busy listening to
    music on his headphones to hear what Josh has to say, that night Josh dreams about his strange experience.

Next day, Mrs Holman decides that Josh can spend the day with Mr Roche's daughter Becky, Josh is not excited at
    the prospect.

Strangles Head Mine, where Captain Tregellis worked when he was a boy.

While being shown around the local area by Josh, Becky spots Captain Tregellis, Becky tells Josh about the Captain's
    warning (about Strangles Head Mine) to her father the previous day, Josh and Becky decide to follow Captain Tregellis.

Captain Tregellis realizes he is being followed, and surprises the children, Josh tells Captain Tregellis that Becky
    would like to see inside his cottage, in his cottage, Captain Tregellis shows Josh and Becky some relics from his
    mining days.

Liked
    98 times
    A well done synopsis with pictures, Billy. It's interesting to note how society's attitude to adults talking with children has changed drastically in the thirty years since this film was made. These days people would regard with great suspicion the captain inviting the two kids into his cottage and his simply talking to them in the street would risk his being arrested and charged with the strange none 'crime' of 'grooming', which originally meant a servant looking after his master's interests or his horses. The media in this context have a lot to answer for in developing what has since become the present day paranoia regarding perfectly innocent conversations between children and grown ups.

Liked
    308 times
    Darrenburnfan, have you ever seen this Thread - http://filmdope.com/forums/fi...ep-1984-a.html

Liked
    98 times
    Darrenburnfan, have you ever seen this Thread - http://filmdope.com/forums/fi...ep-1984-a.html
    Yes, Billy. I saw that. Very interesting. That SainT guy is very good at tracking down British locations, considering he says he's in Macedonia. I always thought myself that all the locations were filmed in Cornwall, as why would they travel all the way to Surrey to find a church? There are plenty of churches in Cornwall.

Liked
    98 times
    I see from his profile that SainT hasn't been on here for nearly a year.

Liked
    308 times
    Josh Holman, in Captain Tregellis's cottage, listening to the Captain talking about his mining days, Becky (remembering the
    Captain's warning to her father and Dave Shannon the day before at the hotel) talks to Captain Tregellis about Strangles
    Head Mine, the Captain tells Becky he nearly lost his live down Strangles Head Mine when he was a boy.

Josh sees a picture (of two boys) on the wall, in the Captain's cottage, he recognizes one of the boys in the picture, the
    ghostly figure he had seen the day before.

After leaving the Captain's cottage, Josh decides to go up to the headland, where he had a strange experience the day
    before (when he saw the ghostly figure of the boy who he had just seen in the picture in the Captain's cottage), Becky
    Roche (Amy Taylor) drops a stone down the old mine shaft (to try and work out how deep the shaft is), Josh then hears
    strange noises coming from the bottom of the shaft.

Josh then rushes to tell the Captain about his strange experience, from the previous day, he points out (to the Captain)
    the boy in the picture, Captain Tregellis, Josh and Becky then go to the churchyard (where Josh had found himself the
    day before) to see the grave of Billy Bray (the boy in the picture), the other person in the picture with Billy Bray was
    Captain Tregellis (when he was a boy).

Last edited by billy farmer; 27-11-13 at 08:22 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember watching this, and thinking at the time as a kid, this is like a more adult version of 'Nobody's House'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast