Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    This is a beautiful, unusual film. I don't know why it seems to have disappeared (at least here). I saw it with friends in 1987 when it was released, and it developed a small cult following in the Boston area.

It stars Colin Firth, Natasha Richardson and Kenneth Branagh at the beginning of their film careers. Firth plays a World War I veteran suffering from the psychological shock of battle who is given a job restoring a mural in a rural church. The mural has been covered since before the Reformation. It is set in Yorkshire in the early 1920s. Richardson plays the unhappy wife of the vicar. Branagh is Firth's friend.

The whole film is quiet and dreamy; the characters are all fairly reserved and the details of the restoration are given attention.

I saw it again here about twenty years ago when it was shown on one of the cable channels. I taped it and played it so often that the video is just about unwatchable now, unfortunately. If only I had known years ago about transferring to DVD.

It is definitely worth seeing if it can be found.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    I saw it at the cinema in the days when I was a newspaper film reviewer, and I liked it very much. It's too understated to be popular now, probably why it's disappeared considering the talent involved.

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Does the film make reference to the play 'A Month in the Country' by Ivan Turgenev?

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    I saw it at the cinema in the days when I was a newspaper film reviewer, and I liked it very much. It's too understated to be popular now, probably why it's disappeared considering the talent involved.
    It is very understated. The summer setting and light and the church interior are all part of it. I would like to see a proper DVD presentation.

That was the first time I had seen any of those actors - and they played together beautifully.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lllIIlllIIlllIIl View Post
    Does the film make reference to the play 'A Month in the Country' by Ivan Turgenev?
    Good question. No - just the title is the same.