Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I posted this in TV too, but I know most people tend to look more in here, so.....

This might be a tough one, but this series came back to me the other day, being one of those which I never saw the ending of.

So here is what I can remember - I believe it was shown on BBC, I think on Sunday evenings, I think maybe a four parter, and I think some time in the 80s.

The plot - revolved around some kind of megomaniac guy plotting something referred to by his men in the plot as 'The day of action' hence the phrase in the title. His plans were being hatched in a castle which was frequented by a fleet of land rovers with some kind of logo on the side and his men wore military fatigues, British Cammo. One of his main henchman when confronting the hero who stumbled across this constantly referred to it as the day of action that the boss was planning etc etc.

It had faint reminiscents of the Million Dollar Brain with Michael Caine, but I dont think the big day ever happened and this man's plans failed to materialise. That is all I can remember, is this ringing any bells with anyone?

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Was it that real crap 90's series Civvies? Not Linda La Plante finest 6 hours. But we did get Harry Enfield doing the Divvies sketch out of it.

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times

Liked
    0 times
    It wasn't Fairly Secret Army, as it wasn't a comedy. Looking at some clips from Civvies, it was something more in that vein, but there was one central character who stumbled across this plot I think it was to take over the British Government, I remember various scenes where they drove these British old school Landdrovers about with some kind of logo on the side going in and out of the castle entrance, but it was more like a fortified manor house than anything.

Liked
    0 times
    Ah thanks to the castle Thread, I recognise the castle entrance to be that of Dumbarton Castle, or one that looks exactly like it, that is the scene I remember most clearly.

Senior Member Country: Japan
    Liked
    28 times
    Have a read about some of the programmes in these threads:

http://filmdope.com/forums/br...dystopias.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22784393

You may just find something.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for those threads Icetorch, that has certainly given me some things to watch, A Very British Coup and 1990 sounded like they could have been it but weren't. I wish I could remember the main guy who was in it.

Junior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Could it have been from the 'Quiller' series made in the 1970s?

That included an episode called 'The Thin Red Line', if memory serves, which involved some rich men who wanted to take over the country and turn it into a dictatorship.

Liked
    4 times
    There was also even a story in a later series of MINDER starring Richard Briers as a despotic general now running his own private army somewhere in the wilds of Berkshire. Although I'm sure you'd remember if Terry an' Arfur had been in the programme you're attempting to remember, you'd have noticed.

Another quasi-military show from the same time, of course, was BIRD OF PREY with Richard Griffiths, in which Nigel Davenport also stars as a corrupt soldier-cum-politician organising the takeover of several London business interests on behalf of a conspiracy of globalist investors (how prescient) I'm sure a 'day of action' is referred to somewhere, but but I can't remember any military vehicles driving around: I do, however, remember such things in THE MAD DEATH, including one now-legendary sequence where Barbara Kellerman and her squadron of "armed bastards" drive their jeeps through East Kilbride shopping centre in an attempt to contain the spread of the epidemic.

Is it possible, therefore, that you're remembering two programmes together at once? I've done that often in my time, and I'm not the only one either. However, many a friendship with many another collector has been forged as result...

Senior Member Country: England DeadlyStranger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Some episodes of Survivors featured a similar theme, with private armies and cult leaders. If it was '80s, could've been Knights of God, or even an old Dr Who from that era,

Or, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codename_(TV_series) slim chance I guess, and like 1990, good luck living long enough to ever see the BBC get off their arse to issue a respectable modern home video package...

Liked
    4 times
    Forgot all about KNIGHTS OF GOD. It's been sitting in my DVDR piles (alongside my 'unofficial' copy of 1990) for about a decade now, and I still haven't gotten round to watching it...but thanks for re-piquing my interest.

Could THE GUARDIANS be another possibility?

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStranger View Post
    Or, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codename_(TV_series) slim chance I guess, and like 1990, good luck living long enough to ever see the BBC get off their arse to issue a respectable modern home video package...
    Sadly (as a fan of La Bastedo) no episodes exist!

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd say Scotch on the Rocks, but it was 1973