Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This movie was on BBC early one morning this year (2013). I think it was 5th May at around 7am but the listings on bbc for that day show a different film. It is filmed in England and from what I remember the lady is in a flat and there are two men keeping her safe. She tries to leave the flat and someone takes a shot at her. They visit a doctor at some point to question him (can't remember why). The final scene takes place in a warehouse/near the docks between one of the guys protecting her and the person that wants her dead.

I can't remember the title and I can't remember why the ladys life was at risk. I think one or more of the characters was American.

I think this was probably some kind of unremarkable B-Movie but for some reason I just started thinking about it this morning...

I think it was made sometime in the 40's. The appartments where she lives look like somewhere in London.

Also, I think the score was a bit too dramatic.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Not sure I recognise it from your description but was it The Good Die Young?

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Or could it be No Orchids for Miss Blandish (1948)?

Liked
    0 times
    no, not eiither of those two. The bad guy had a memorable name (that I have forgotten). Definitly on early one sunday morning this year if anyone else saw it. One of the good guys goes to the warehouse for the end of film showdown and there is a happy ending for the girl.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought it might be one of those early fifties crime Hammer movies that would cast an American in the lead, but I couldn't find a plot that fit.

Liked
    22 times
    Possibly Operation Diplomat (1953)?

The plot doesn't quite fit the description, but it does include a doctor and the final scene does take place at London docks.

And it has been shown on TV!

MrT

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    Possibly Operation Diplomat (1953)?
    I reminded me of a Francis Durbridge film too. The way the end is described it reminded me of The Teckman Mystery.

Liked
    0 times
    I looked through those suggestions Teckman seems very similar but the tower at the end doesn't seem right to me. (from this review: http://www.vintagefilms.co.uk/blog/t...tery-1954.html )

In my film there are some exteriors of one of the protaganists appartments and it is an art deco style apartment. I tried but no luck googling art deco apartments + film locations... I am sure I found a reference to this location when I was watching the film though.

It is a three-four storey high building. At one point one of the protaganists gets shot at while outside the entrance....They also have a car parked down a side-street.

I'm thinking that a lot of films of this era followed along similar plot lines :)

Liked
    0 times
    I have found the film: It is called Assignment Redhead (1956) with Carole Matthews and Richard Denning . . .

Directed by Maclean Rogers and made by Buthcher's Film Productions

It was shown on the Movies4Men channel . . .

I obtained a DVD of the film. I remembered a few points slightly differently which didn't help. I found it by looking through the pictures on the reelstreets website.

There is even a detailed review of the film on the britmovie website: http://filmdope.com/films/Ass...1956/listType/

It has a few flaws, including dialogue... lack of chemistry between the two leads...

The plot points I misremembered were that the lady does not get shot - the criminals attempt to run her over...although she is in fact in with the criminals. I had forgotten about the whole main plot point which was the criminals attempt to come to London to obtain $12 million dollars of counterfit money.

The scene in the doctors house is actually suppossed to be a sanatorium and is where the criminals prepare the stand-in for Max Rubensteins fake death. I only remembered this part of the film once I watched it again. (Max Rubenstein is ex-Resistance who has the $12 million dollars hidden in his art gallery). I think my initial trouble remembering was related to how the plot has been stitched together :)

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    How about Girl On The Run (1958) an American film that was the pilot episode for the Warner Bros. television series 77 Sunset Strip. It had a very similar plotline (girl kept in a room for her own safety because she's a material witness to a murder...showdown between between hero and villain in a deserted warehouse at night, ect) and starred Erin O'Brien as the girl; Efrem Zimbalist Jr as the hero protecting her and Sheppard Strudwick as the murderer. Channel 4 ran it a couple of times some years ago now, but it's possible the BBC ran it recently unannounced.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Glad you found your movie.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Silly me. I posted about Girl on the Run before I read msw mov's post. Well, never mind, if it hadn't have been Assignment Redhead, it could have been Girl on the Run.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi, yes thanks for everyones suggestions.... My favourite quote from Assignment Redhead is:

Major Gregory Keen: We should have held Yotti Blum!
    Col. Julian Fentriss, M.I.5.: No Keen, you should have held Hedy Bergner... and not in your arms either.

Liked
    0 times
    and also this line:

Col. Julian Fentriss, M.I.5.: Look, you stand in the street and I'll take the buttons off your coat at seventy miles an hour - as long as I know you're going to jump !