The IKWIG School - I Know Where I'm Going! (1945)
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    At the beginning of I Know Where I'm Going! (1945) we see the young Joan growing up, with the opening credits shown on various things like a blackboard in the nursery, a milk cart outside her school and on the factory gates (the 'factory' actually being the front of Denham film studio)

Dave Buckley tells us that the scene where young Joan runs out of her school and gets onto the horse-drawn milk cart was actually filmed at Harrow County School for Girls in Lowlands Road, Harrow. Now called the Harrow-on-the-Hill campus of Harrow College.

Compare the Then & Now images

Now if only we can find a horse-drawn milk float we'll be able to re-create the scene

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    It looks like the road ran directly past the front door all those years ago.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I watched that documentary on the DVD - I had never seen it. Very enjoyable, and I did like the film of Powell and his friends in Scotland. I was sorry for the first time that it was not filmed in color. Was that considered? All of the other Powell and Pressburger films from that period are in beautiful - incomparable - color.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    I watched that documentary on the DVD - I had never seen it. Very enjoyable, and I did like the film of Powell and his friends in Scotland. I was sorry for the first time that it was not filmed in color. Was that considered? All of the other Powell and Pressburger films from that period are in beautiful - incomparable - color.
    A Canterbury Tale (1944) is B&W, as is The Small Back Room (1949). They used whatever they thought was most appropriate, and was available.

They wanted to make A Matter of Life and Death in 1945, but that had to be made with Technicolor and there weren't many Technicolor cameras or much film stock available, and the few that were available were in use, mainly making training and educational films for GIs visiting Europe.

P&P had been making a feature film every year since 1939 and they suddenly found themselves with a bit of spare time on their hands, so they decided to make another film.

Emeric: I have always wanted to make a film about a girl who wants to get to an island, but can't get there - and when she can get there she no longer wants to go there.
    Micky: Why does she want to go to the island?
    Emeric: I don't know, let's make the film and find out :)

Emeric wrote the whole of the basic story in just 5 days. He said that it flowed from his pen like no other story ever had.

In 1947 Emeric met the head of the script department at Paramount who told him that they used I Know Where I'm Going! (1945) as an example of the perfect screenplay which was shown to any writers stuck for inspiration or who needed a lesson in screen writing.

Steve