Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Is there a spelling mistake in the poster? I thought it was spelt Ciaran?

Nick

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Have you seen this Phil or Nick? I didn't know there was a film of this story - one of my favorites as a boy.

Liked
    1 times
    I remember it being on UK TV a few times in the 80s, I can't remember too much of it apart from it having atmospheric locations.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Hazy memories for me too. I've recently been given an off-air copy of the film by another member, but I think I'll now wait until the DVD is released.

Nick

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    I loved this as a child, very atmospheric. It was like no other medieval set film at the time. No dialogue heavy altercations between protagonists of the kind you would see in mainstream cinema.

The film's 24 year old director would go on to film the story again casting Miles of O'Keefe and Sean Connery, Trevor Howard and peter Cushing in The Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (1984). There was a TV remake in 1991 too.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    It sounds like it would be worth watching. There are very few film versions of the Arthurian legends that are 'done straight', rather than as farce or comedy.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    I have never seen Cornel Wilde's Lancelot and Guinevere. I have just discovered that you can buy a legit copy (as opposed to all those bootlegs) from Germany that came out only last year.

http://www.amazon.de/Lancelot-verweg.../dp/B007T2M91K

Liked
    1 times
    A pity but this turns out to be a TV dramatisation from 1991. I don't recall it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387245/combined

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    It's not very good and the remake by the same director is awful. Doesn't bear much relationship to the original peom either. Goodness knows why Stephen Weeks was ever referred to a 'promising'.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541 View Post
    It's not very good and the remake by the same director is awful. Doesn't bear much relationship to the original peom either. Goodness knows why Stephen Weeks was ever referred to a 'promising'.
    Both I MONSTER and GHOST STORY had enough about them to suggest he might have something to offer, and just the idea of making GAWAIN wasn't what one expected of your average British director at that time. If Network's DVD presents it at 2.35:1 it will offer most of us our first opportunity to see in its oar...the US DVD is cropped.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by asiamiles View Post
    Both I MONSTER and GHOST STORY had enough about them to suggest he might have something to offer, and just the idea of making GAWAIN wasn't what one expected of your average British director at that time. If Network's DVD presents it at 2.35:1 it will offer most of us our first opportunity to see in its oar...the US DVD is cropped.
    I'm a bit confused here. Surely the Network release is a TV version which was not directed by Stephen Weeks.

Liked
    7 times
    Both I MONSTER and GHOST STORY had enough about them to suggest he might have something to offer, and just the idea of making GAWAIN wasn't what one expected of your average British director at that time
    I don't agree. I Monster is a mediocre film with a feeble script. There are a couple of interesting scenes but that was because the film was intended to go out in 3-D and hence Weeks shot it that way. The Gewain and Valiant scripts are also poor. The fact is that most directors - apart from the real genius' can do very little with a poor script - and I don't think Weeks was an exception.

Where is Weeks' Witchfinder General or The Wicker Man? It just doesn't exist - in fact where is his Scream And Scream Again? (the late Gordon Hessler's best film ).

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes I was hoping it was going to be the film version too !