Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Very sorry to report the death of one of my musical heroes. Phil was the youngest of The Everly Brothers. A sad day for Don.

My favourite of their hits is Bowling Green, which didn't chart in Britain and only made #40 in the Billboard charts, in 1967:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfklk4CU8MM

One of their later chart entries. I'm only old enough to remember his catchy duet with Cliff Richard, She Means Nothing to Me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo4Fudb6Utw

#9 in 1983

I'd also like to mention that the brothers were namechecked in Wings' classic hit Let 'Em In.

Rest In Peace, Phil.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Very sad news indeed, as I was a great fan of The Everly Brothers from the time of their first hit in 1957, when I was ten years old. Their massive hit of the following year, All I have to do is Dream, came to represent my feelings for all those in my youth whom I loved unrequitedly and is, perhaps, the most important single in my life. A true classic. I still have all their 45 rpm singles, on both the London and Warner Brothers labels, from Bye Bye Love in 1957, to It's My Time eleven years later in 1968 and even a few beyond that, as well as many of their EP's and LP's. At one time, I was a member of The Everly Brothers International Fan Club and still have my membership card somewhere and a couple of fan club magazines from 1964 - 1965. Rest In Peace, Phil. You will never be forgotten. My sincere condolencies to Don and to his family.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Awful news! The Everly's influenced so many people! R.I.P.Phil!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYe9eDqxe8

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    the_everly_brothers-lp.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Very sad news indeed, as I was a great fan of The Everly Brothers from the time of their first hit in 1957, when I was ten years old. Their massive hit of the following year, All I have to do is Dream, came to represent my feelings for all those in my youth whom I loved unrequitedly and is, perhaps, the most important single in my life. A true classic. I still have all their 45 rpm singles, on both the London and Warner Brothers labels, from Bye Bye Love in 1957, to It's My Time eleven years later in 1968 and even a few beyond that, as well as many of their EP's and LP's. At one time, I was a member of The Everly Brothers International Fan Club and still have my membership card somewhere and a couple of fan club magazines from 1964 - 1965. Rest In Peace, Phil. You will never be forgotten. My sincere condolencies to Don and to his family.

Yes another legend passes-R.I.P. I have one 'London' LP from 1958: 'They're Off & Rolling' There's the B+W pic on front with the two of them on a motor cycle.

Best for now

Scenesixty
    Last edited by scenesixty; 04-01-14 at 10:34 AM.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, I also have that London LP, scenesixty, along with the one that came after it, Songs Our Daddy Taught Us, featuring their rendition of Long Time Gone.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Very sad news indeed.

R.I.P. Phil Everly.

The Everly Brothers belong to two of my favourite music decades - the 1950's and 1960's.

I like a lot of the Everly Brothers songs, and I have got many of their songs in my (big) music collection.

One of my favourite Everly Brothers songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDv4fnwCSg4

Liked
    308 times
    US musician Phil Everly dies aged 74 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25601185

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scenesixty View Post

Yes another legend passes-R.I.P. I have one 'London' LP from 1958: 'They're Off & Rolling' There's the B+W pic on front with the two of them on a motor cycle.

Best for now

Scenesixty
    I also have that LP as well as another early one 'The Fabulous Style of The Every Brothers'.

Very sad news and another stark reminder that 'Tempus Fugit'. I saw The Everly Brothers when they appeared at The Winter Gardens, Blackpool in 1991. So glad I did. RIP

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Very sad news, The Everly Brothers made some great records.
    R.I.P. Phil Everly

Liked
    98 times
    Their double sided million selling hit single from 1958.

Liked
    308 times
    A song (which I have got in my music collection) which I have always liked.

Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    One of their later chart entries. I'm only old enough to remember his catchy duet with Cliff Richard, She Means Nothing to Me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo4Fudb6Utw

#9 in 1983

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    So many bricks have been pulled from the foundation of the Boomer Generation. Fortunately, it's just a metaphor. For the many years of listening enjoyment, may he rest in harmony.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Here's an alternative version of Bowling Green. A bit rockier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CqUU3QNOV0

This is sad news.

R.I.P. Phil.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Sad sad news, I love The Everly's.

http://youtu.be/PXvKAWiU_cQ

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    So many great songs, so many great memories as another link with a golden era of music passes on. One of my favourites is the not often heard "Please Mr Conductor". I do however have one sad memory of seeing The Everly Brothers on stage on a bill with Bo Diddley and The Rolling Stones at The New Victoria Theatre. As good as Phil and Don were, the Stones fans didn't give them a chance and booed and slow handclapped as it wasn't their type of music. More fool them.

R.I.P. Phil, those melodies will live on.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    The Everleys were one of the great acts in music, pure class. 'So Sad' is one of my favourite records.

RIP Phil.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    One of my favourites is the not often heard "Please Mr Conductor".
    I think the one you're referring to is called Lightning Express. I have it on a Cadence single, backed with I'm Here To Get My Baby Out of Jail. It was due to be released as a single on the London label in 1962, but the release never happened. However, both titles had already been released four years earlier on the London LP Songs Our Daddy Taught Us and on one of the EPs released from that LP.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    I'll try to cut a very long story short.
    The night that I saw The Everly Bros & Bo Diddely Show at Watford, which also featured the new Rolling Stones, Little Richard joined the tour. An effort was made to acquire some autographs.

At one point a chappie came out and I asked him for his autograph as he put something in the boot of a vehicle. Girls nearby were swooning at him. I thanked him. I also acquired Jerome Green's autograph. (Maracas player for Bo Diddely.) I can't remember at what point I checked the autograph. Surprise! It was that of Joey Page, who had been playing base for the Everly's during the show.

Some decades later, Suzie Quatro presented a show 'Rockin' With Suzie Q'. Each week she would read out a rock 'n' roll memory from a listener. One week it was my memory of this incident plus. After reading it out, she explained that my memory had caused some research. Apparently, one of the Everly Brothers had fell ill, and Joey Page had substituted for him. Therefore technically he had been an Everly for part of the tour. So was it Phil or Joey?

Even today, I would swear in a court of law, that it was Phil Everly that I spoke to, and in turn signed my autograph book. And people I was with plus others in the crowd, certainly thought it was Phil Everly.

But looking at the time era, circa Autumn 1963, I am wondering if I was witnessing a part of the sad situation that was about, or had started to happen.

Irrespective, it was a show that I have fond memories of.

Phil. Thankyou for the pleasure that you and your brother have given millions of people. Please may you Rest In Peace.

Alan French.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    darrenburnfan you are so right. I stand corrected. I had it on an Everley Brothers cassette and played it over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    I think the one you're referring to is called Lightning Express. I have it on a Cadence single, backed with I'm Here To Get My Baby Out of Jail. It was due to be released as a single on the London label in 1962, but the release never happened. However, both titles had already been released four years earlier on the London LP Songs Our Daddy Taught Us and on one of the EPs released from that LP.

Liked
    98 times
    Don and Phil Everly on the front cover of their Beat & Soul LP from 1965. There is more to the image, but the LP sleeve is too big for my scanner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast