Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a great site, interesting info about various forgotten actors etc. I just thought I'd add my two cents-

Although some of the site members seem to welcome new members, there's not much interaction with enthusiastic newbies soon afterwards? At least, from what I've seen. I added to several threads in my enthusiasm but there wasn't much participation on some of the popular Britfilm threads (Italian Job, Excalibur, Battle of Britain etc), which are usually are ages old, done to death and are seldom updated or rejuvenated?

Maybe everything has already been said about them, and so hardly anyone replies? Perhaps that's just how forums are, but for anyone new, such old and much-debated film threads are the lifeblood of 'Britmovies'?

No offence, just typing out loud.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BJSmegma View Post
    This is a great site, interesting info about various forgotten actors etc. I just thought I'd add my two cents-

Although some of the site members seem to welcome new members, there's not much interaction with enthusiastic newbies soon afterwards? At least, from what I've seen. I added to several threads in my enthusiasm but there wasn't much participation on some of the popular Britfilm threads (Italian Job, Excalibur, Battle of Britain etc), which are usually are ages old, done to death and are seldom updated or rejuvenated?

Maybe everything has already been said about them, and so hardly anyone replies? Perhaps that's just how forums are, but for anyone new, such old and much-debated film threads are the lifeblood of 'Britmovies'?

That is a fair comment, from my perspective. The forum has gone through a lot of changes and significant events in the last two years, with profound losses. At times there is a lack of response to newbies. That was not true before. I think perhaps one reason might be that some regular users are not as involved as they once were. And of course newbies are needed to keep the forum dynamic. You may find some threads in the established members section helpful in understanding what has been happening.

I have been here, on and off, since 2007. But there are many people who have a much higher post count than I do and many, especially the mods, who have done an extraordinary job keeping the forum going. They can probably speak to this in a more specific way.

As for rejuvenating old threads - you are quite right. I update threads from the past all the time, including my own.

I'm glad you are here and I hope you give it another try. I plead guilty to your observation (and no offense taken at all).
    Last edited by TimR; 08-02-14 at 01:40 AM.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BJSmegma View Post

This is a good post making very good point! As Tim said there have been some changes (some sad) in the past couple of years & some regular posters are not

here anymore (hopefully temporarily). New members are the life blood of this great forum & I certainly hope you are not discouraged & that you will continue to
    contribute!
    Last edited by wadsy; 08-02-14 at 02:51 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Good point, I often visit recently updated threads but rarely leave comments. For me there are two reasons, firstly time restraints (I work all week with computers that don't allow social sites, external emails for security reasons). Secondly, and more importantly, as the wise sage said ... "if you've got nothing to say, say nothing". The particular films you mentioned I first saw 40 years ago, and I guess that goes for most established members (who seem to be in a similar age range) so we've probably said everything we could about these films ages ago. The most interesting thing about this site for me are the threads about obscure or forgotten films/TV series or films/TV series I've never heard of or seen.
    Last edited by agutterfan; 08-02-14 at 03:31 PM.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the replies to my feedback, guys.

I'm not put off, but continue to chip in when I can, and if something hasn't already been said or 'done to death' before my time here! It's hard to find a great show or film that hasn't been!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I often find that there are still questions to be asked about even the classic films & TV shows. Or you could add to the Watched Last Night thread to add your comments on a show. But don't expect an instant, or even a rapid reply to everything. Some people only visit here every few weeks or even only every few months.

You started a new thread about The Italian Job because the last comment in the older thread was two years ago. Some threads do have long pauses in them, yes sometimes a couple of years or more. Sometimes people start a new thread about a topic, sometimes they add to the older thread. Both actions are OK

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Like many others I only make the occaisional post when I can get on the computer at home as most of my work is outdoors.
    I chanced upon the site when I was trying to work out out the location of the opening scenes of "Hell Drivers" some years ago.
    I find I always come away having learned something interesting and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge by the members.
    Especially about locations of film and TV. The Forum covers such a large range of subjects and opinions that it always worth a visit even if I cannot contribute.