Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    9 times
    The 'no talking, no texting' rule is a must, and I wish more cinema's would actually enforce it. If I've paid over the GDP of a small country to watch a film, only to overhear some idiot/s on a phone or the constant beeping as they text, then I want a rebate. Frankly, after working out how much I spent for myself and the kids to watch a film, plus a bag of popcorn and two cola's, I could see why you'd want to put the money towards a decent telly and Netflix. Hell is other people.

The munching isn't great (but not nearly as bad as sweet wrappers during the Proms), but since people have been snacking on popcorn and dodgy hotdogs in cinema's since the year dot, its kind of expected.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    The munching isn't great (but not nearly as bad as sweet wrappers during the Proms), but since people have been snacking on popcorn and dodgy hotdogs in cinema's since the year dot, its kind of expected.
    Only in America. Here cinemas have always offered those things but that doesn't mean that you have to buy them.

When we were kids (in the 50s) we couldn't afford the "extras" like drinks & sweets. Once I became an adult people only had an ice cream in the interval. I still think that eating during the film is only forgivable by children, very young children.

It's why I never go to multiplexes.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    My last cinema trip, to see the last Batman film wasn't that great. Horrible digital projection, with a yellowy and grainy picture and eardrum busting audio. To cap it all, a small bag of peanuts cost me about �7 !!.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snorky View Post
    My last cinema trip, to see the last Batman film wasn't that great. Horrible digital projection, with a yellowy and grainy picture and eardrum busting audio. To cap it all, a small bag of peanuts cost me about �7 !!.
    So why did you buy the peanuts?

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    From what I can remember Steve, it was a late afternoon showing and for some reason I hadn't eaten anything that day (apart from breakfast), so I definitely needed something to stop my stomach from making noises during the screening. There wasn't any hot food for sale, and I don't really like chocolate. I grabbed this designer bag of nuts without realising how much it was, so when the guy said �7 I just paid up like the dummy I am !.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I have'nt been to the cinema for quite a few years, if a small bag of peanuts is �7, what sort of price is the admission fee nowadays?

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I have'nt been to the cinema for quite a few years, if a small bag of peanuts is �7, what sort of price is the admission fee nowadays?
    About a fiver

Steve

Liked
    9 times
    About a fiver
    Your doing very well! My local Showcase (and there really isn't anywhere else) was �7.95 for a matinee, and was cheaper than than in the evening. Seven quid is a lot to pay for peanuts though...but thinking how much the Pick & Mix costs, perhaps not entirely out of kilter with the price of food generally.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Your doing very well! My local Showcase (and there really isn't anywhere else) was �7.95 for a matinee, and was cheaper than than in the evening. Seven quid is a lot to pay for peanuts though...but thinking how much the Pick & Mix costs, perhaps not entirely out of kilter with the price of food generally.
    I am doing well thanks. By "about a fiver" I mean anywhere under a tenner although I have paid more for a special screening

Steve

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Well, the days of the Front Stalls at 1/3d; Rear Stalls at 1/9d and Circle at 2/- appear to be long gone now. I don't know why anyone would want to buy a gigantic bucket sized carton of Popcorn, unless they were sharing it with a dozen others in the same row. In my day (alright, it's going back a bit) we made do with a little sellophane bag of Butterkist for 6d (about 2 pence in today's money).

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Don't forget the Kia-Ora.

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    I can't remember when I last visited the cinema. Do they still have ladies walking up and down the aisles with an illuminated tray of goodies?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnallan View Post
    I can't remember when I last visited the cinema. Do they still have ladies walking up and down the aisles with an illuminated tray of goodies?
    Sadly, they don't even have projectionists any more.

Liked
    0 times
    Going back to the peanuts, I remember that they weren't just any old nuts, but honey roasted cashews in a fancy bag. They didn't even serve them in a dish - outrageous.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snorky View Post
    Going back to the peanuts, I remember that they weren't just any old nuts, but honey roasted cashews in a fancy bag. They didn't even serve them in a dish - outrageous.
    Did you keep the packet/ Can you upload a photo of it?

Liked
    418 times
    Strange, I don't see any votes in favour for big buckets of popcorn, hot dogs or huge flagons of fizzy drinks.

Does nobody here buy them? If not, who does?

Steve

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by odeonman View Post
    Sadly, they don't even have projectionists any more.
    Nor tabs (curtains) covering the screen or coloured footlights shining on them. In fact, no shownmanship at all, really...at least not in the multiplexes.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Well, the days of the Front Stalls at 1/3d; Rear Stalls at 1/9d and Circle at 2/- appear to be long gone now. I don't know why anyone would want to buy a gigantic bucket sized carton of Popcorn, unless they were sharing it with a dozen others in the same row. In my day (alright, it's going back a bit) we made do with a little sellophane bag of Butterkist for 6d (about 2 pence in today's money).
    Back then the only noises that one heard during the showing of the film usually came from the vicinity of the back row.

Liked
    9 times
    Does nobody here buy them? If not, who does?
    My kids regard drinks/popcorn/Pick n' Mix as part of the whole experience - hence my purchase of a small popcorn and 2 medium colas which lasted all three of us the whole film. Since we dont actually go to the cinema that often, its alright occasionally. My mum, on the other hand, would bring in cans of coke, sweets, etc when we went to the cinema as kids, which was just about the time (early 1970's) when you still had a lady selling a tray of icecreams during the interval - there was no way she was buying overpriced drinks, etc.

I suspect that someone on this forum is unlikely to be part of the demographic that buys food and drink at the cinema, but someone does, because I understand that its pretty profitable (popcorn and soft drinks have an excellent markup and a captive audience). At least you can now get a decent coffee, but no showmanship.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    Back then the only noises that one heard during the showing of the film usually came from the vicinity of the back row.
    Nah, we were always quite quiet

Steve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast