Thread: Philomena

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I was struck by the honesty of this film and felt it was extremely brave of Martin Sixsmith and Philomena Lee to be portrayed so frankly. Both characters were presented as complex people who grew and changed over the film. The sophisticated journalist learns respect for a woman with little education but enormous integrity. Philomena comes through more realistic about the past. I found the film difficult to watch as the presentation of evil is no less disturbing than �12 Years a Slave� even if less obvious.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought it excellent and both Coogan and Dench were on top form.

Member Country: Europe The Other Smallwood's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I presume the finance (and, I guess, a U.S release) depended upon Judi Dench being there, but I would love to have seen an Irish Actor in the lead role. Brenda Fricker, anyone? At least her accent wouldn't keep crossing the Border.

Senior Member Country: UK eyeloveTV's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    ".................. but I would love to have seen an Irish Actor in the lead role"

So would I. As so often happens, the ideal actor/actress for any given role is less important than having a 'name'. Names sell films and get backing, it's all about potential box office. I doubt Steve Coogan would have got the Martin Sixsmith role if it hadn't been for the fact he co-produced it. How many times have we seen it over the years. I think Judy Dench was good, but I would have liked an Irish actress to play the role. My choice would have been Stella McCusker.
    Last edited by eyeloveTV; 08-04-14 at 11:33 AM.