Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Dreams

  1. #1
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    Last night I had a strange dream. I was in a canteen, waiting in the queue. I had a nice fat fish on my plate, and I was waiting to take it to the paying counter. The food in the canteen was spread out in steel dishes, along two counters that formed a large right-angle. As I approached the paying counter, the fish on my plate started wriggling, and its face was smiling. I complained to the woman behind the counter that the fish was still alive. Then the fish flew off the plate, still smiling, and back to its original place in the dish on the food counter. When I looked up, there were fish everywhere, flying backwards through the air and across the room, as the people in the queue, either smiling or looking bewildered, ducked to get out of their way. The fish all ended up back in the food dishes, and from the other end of the canteen I could see these fish smiling and looking very pleased with themselves.

    In real life, I don't like fish and don't eat it. I think my dream was stimulated by reading about an author who saw a woman wearing a Gnostic fish symbol on a neck-chain. I can't begin to interpret this dream, as it was so surreal. Why does our mind script, produce and play such films to us in our very own oneiric theatre? I wish I knew. Most of the time, we don't even take any notice of our dreams, but they are bizarre and wonderful. And why do we dream anyway? Is it so we can learn to live in pure consciousness, in preparation for some afterlife?

    Have you had any strange dreams? Tell us about them - if you dare.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    In another dream of a few years ago, I was walking down the high street on a nice summer's day. All of a sudden a huge Doberman Pinscher started chasing me. It bounded menacingly down the street after me. I ran and ran, in a great panic. I kept running and running, then it was night, and I was running down a field in the dark. By this time I was exhausted and could run no more. I stopped and turned to face my fate. The hound stopped too, looked smilingly up at me and said, in a Scouse accent, "Gorr-any biscuits, Mister?!" Then I woke up. In real life I think dogs are a joy, and I have no fear of them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    801
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icetorch View Post
    ... All of a sudden a huge Doberman Pinscher started chasing me. ...
    Supposing you are a Doberman Pincscher. Tell us what life is like for you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    The only Doberman Pinscher I have ever met jumped up at me in a park and licked me. I suppose the dream was saying that you shouldn't judge a creature from its looks. I can't imagine being a Doberman Pinscher. What I do know is that dogs have personalities - something that surprised me when I first learnt this. They also surprise me by often being way more intelligent than they need to be.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,961
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icetorch View Post
    Have you had any strange dreams? Tell us about them - if you dare.
    I once had a dream about the famous American General - George Armstrong Custer, read post 20 on the following Thread - http://filmdope.com/forums/of...nge-dream.html

  6. #6
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    I once had a dream about the famous American General - George Armstrong Custer, read post 20 on the following Thread - http://filmdope.com/forums/of...nge-dream.html
    So you evidently identified with the General in some sense.

    I can't remember dreaming about any fictional characters ever. Recently I dreamt I was a young lad in some North African restaurant that overlooked the sea. So I was me but I wasn't me. My father was training me in working in the restaurant. On one occasion he mildly chided me for giving a free meal to a friend, saying that I shouldn't do that, as people would then always expect one. The dream went into detail as I learnt how to prepare certain foods and other aspects of the business. When I woke up, I couldn't remember any of this detail, and I thought, "Who the hell's dream was that?! It certainly wasn't my dream!" I have no interest in cooking, restaurants, North Africa, or anything like that.

    There are those who are convinced that when we dream, we sometimes surf "the cosmic unconscious", since in reality all our consciousnesses are connected, and in sleep we have a gateway to the collective unconscious. These dreams are called "transpersonal", as they go beyond the personal realm. Other dreams are personal, of course, and sometimes psychological. Others still have been precognitive. I have read that when there are accidents, some people who would normally have been on the scene were not present, because of a dream, or some feeling, or mishap, telling them not to go there. Here is an account, not of dreams preventing mishaps, but of something that sounds too weird to be true:

    "Mathematician Warren Weaver, in his book, Lady Luck: The Theory of Probability, recounts a fascinating tale of coincidence that stretches our traditional notions of chance to their breaking point. The story originally appeared in Life magazine. Weaver writes:

    All fifteen members of a church choir in Beatrice, Nebraska, due at practice at 7:20, were late on the evening of March 1, 1950. The minister and his wife and daughter had one reason (his wife delayed to iron the daughter's dress), one girl waited to finish a geometry problem; one couldn't start her car; two lingered to hear the end of an especially exciting radio program; one mother and daughter were late because the mother had to call the daughter twice to wake her from a nap; and so on. The reasons seemed rather ordinary. But there were ten separate and quite unconnected reasons for the lateness of the fifteen persons. It was rather fortunate that none of the fifteen arrived on time at 7:20, for at 7:25 the church building was destroyed in an explosion. The members of the choir, Life reported, wondered if their delay was 'an act of God.'

    Weaver calculates the staggering odds against chance for this uncanny event as about one chance in a million."

  7. #7
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icetorch View Post
    "Mathematician Warren Weaver, in his book, Lady Luck: The Theory of Probability, recounts a fascinating tale of coincidence that stretches our traditional notions of chance to their breaking point. The story originally appeared in Life magazine. Weaver writes:

    All fifteen members of a church choir in Beatrice, Nebraska, due at practice at 7:20, were late on the evening of March 1, 1950. The minister and his wife and daughter had one reason (his wife delayed to iron the daughter's dress), one girl waited to finish a geometry problem; one couldn't start her car; two lingered to hear the end of an especially exciting radio program; one mother and daughter were late because the mother had to call the daughter twice to wake her from a nap; and so on. The reasons seemed rather ordinary. But there were ten separate and quite unconnected reasons for the lateness of the fifteen persons. It was rather fortunate that none of the fifteen arrived on time at 7:20, for at 7:25 the church building was destroyed in an explosion. The members of the choir, Life reported, wondered if their delay was 'an act of God.'

    Weaver calculates the staggering odds against chance for this uncanny event as about one chance in a million."
    Weaver appears to be a not very good mathematician. The chances of all 7 being late is actually 1 in 5,040. Unusual but hardly "staggering"

    Steve

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    Only "staggering" when you take into account what they all missed by being late.

  9. #9
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icetorch View Post
    Only "staggering" when you take into account what they all missed by being late.
    I thought that someone calling themselves a mathematician getting the result wrong by a factor of 2,000% was quite staggering. Especially in a book about probability

    That they all missed the explosion was just luck

    Steve

  10. #10
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    But what were the chances of the building exploding? And what were the chances of everybody being absent when it did? I think that in truth there is no answer to that, as it could only explode once, then it was gone.

  11. #11
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icetorch View Post
    But what were the chances of the building exploding? And what were the chances of everybody being absent when it did? I think that in truth there is no answer to that, as it could only explode once, then it was gone.
    It depends how well they maintained the building or how many enemies they had. Nothing to do with acts of any imaginary being

    Steve

  12. #12
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Weaver appears to be a not very good mathematician. The chances of all 7 being late is actually 1 in 5,040. Unusual but hardly "staggering"

    Steve
    Sorry, I misread your original post. I read all of those sevens in the times and for some reason I thought that there were 7 people who were all late.
    If there were 15 people who were all late then Weaver is still wrong. It's a 1 in 1,307,674,368,000 chance. Still nowhere near 1 in a million

    Steve

  13. #13
    Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,901
    Liked
    94 times
    I cannot believe it when a character from my past who I have not seen or thought about for many years suddenly turns up in a dream, it can be particularly harrowing if one knows that they have passed on.

  14. #14
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    I cannot believe it when a character from my past who I have not seen or thought about for many years suddenly turns up in a dream, it can be particularly harrowing if one knows that they have passed on.
    Some people think that it's something strange and remarkable when they are thinking about an old friend and then that old friend phones them. But consider all of the times when you think of someone and they don't phone you. We tend to remember the unusual events but but we don't tend to remember the more usual events

    Steve

  15. #15
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Some people think that it's something strange and remarkable when they are thinking about an old friend and then that old friend phones them. But consider all of the times when you think of someone and they don't phone you. We tend to remember the unusual events but but we don't tend to remember the more usual events

    Steve
    I have had occurrences that are way more bizarre than that. At the time I tried to brush them off. Eventually I will come to them in this thread, but first, in my next post, I will try to illustrate something about my theory of dreams.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    When I was 5, my maternal granddad died (he was found dead on Xmas morning, actually). I had been very fond of him, but I didn't understand death at that age, and life just continued. Then when I got to 7, I was thinking about him one day and missing him badly. I never told anyone and just went to bed as usual that night. Shortly before I woke up the next morning, I had a dream that I'd gone to my grandma's. She opened the door, beaming, and said, "Your granddad's here!" And there he was, sitting in his normal chair. He held out his arms and I ran to him, delighted to see again. Then I noticed he had pins and brooches sticking in his hands, and I asked him why. "Oh", he smiled, "they're just to keep my skin together!" I looked more closely and could see decaying flesh. I was horrified and woke up then. At that age, living in an urban area and not having seen dead animals, I didn't know that flesh rotted, So the dream taught me something, and I knew there was no point in wishing to see him again.

    At the time, and for many years afterwards, I thought only about the horror of that dream and how it ended. Dreams are remarkable enough, but because we have them every night, we tend not to take much notice of them. In recent months I have started thinking more deeply about my dreams. Looking back at that specific dream, this is what I have concluded: just as your body will heal a cut, so your mind attempts to heal your psyche. That many dreams deal with our personal psychology, we know. In my case as a youngster, my dream even put out feelers to what Carl Jung calls "the collective unconscious" - others call it "the cosmic unconscious". That is, our consciousness is connected as some level to that of our race or species, and we can draw on its collective knowledge. It sounds miraculous, but it's evidently a real thing, and others have said occasionally that dreams have taught them things they didn't know. That night as a seven-year-old, I went to bed, and woke up the next morning knowing something I didn't know before. I've only just begun to think about this more deeply recently. Dreams are wonderful enough, but I'm beginning to sense that far more is going on. My question now is, were you ever taught something by a dream?

    I think that if we didn't have this connectedness to one another via our consciousness, we would be much slower to learn. I have begun to wonder what happens with autism. Do they lack a connected consciousness somehow? I don't know, of course, and can only surmise.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    It depends how well they maintained the building or how many enemies they had. Nothing to do with acts of any imaginary being

    Steve
    "Lady Luck" is just a metaphor, of course. Consider, though, how animals have been known to flee the scene of an earthquake or tsunami before it happens, and before humans are aware anything is wrong.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Sorry, I misread your original post. I read all of those sevens in the times and for some reason I thought that there were 7 people who were all late.
    If there were 15 people who were all late then Weaver is still wrong. It's a 1 in 1,307,674,368,000 chance. Still nowhere near 1 in a million

    Steve
    Even higher, you see. And what a day for such a rare occurrence to occur!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,961
    Liked
    308 times
    Icetorch, some very interesting posts on this Thread, there was another dream which I once had, which I can remember hardly anything about, except that in the dream, I saw a UFO flying over my home town.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Country: Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    Icetorch, some very interesting posts on this Thread, there was another dream which I once had, which I can remember hardly anything about, except that in the dream, I saw a UFO flying over my home town.
    Definitely a wish fulfilment dream, eh, Billy?

    OK, I'll now tell you about my weirdest dream ever. I've never mentioned it to anyone until now, for various reasons, which I'll go into. It must have been around the early 1980s, and I was in my early to mid-20s. In my dream, I saw naked men and women, each one inside a sort of large transparent beach ball, in a swimming pool, manoeuvring these things. As I dreamt, I had the distinct feeling I was watching it on TV. When I woke up, I considered it be an erotic dream, which was in itself a parody of "It's a Knockout". Of course, in the early 1980s we had no such fun naughtiness, as Mrs Whitehouse was still around, and things were still rather puritan, so there was no chance I'd seen it on TV, nor had I seen it on TV abroad, as I was too busy sight-seeing when abroad to bother with TV.

    Fast forward to around 2002 or 2003. Watching a compilation programme of funny clips, I saw the scene from my dream being broadcast. I got an immediate sense of d�j� vu, so I rushed to the TV and stood watching the scene with astonishment. It only lasted a few seconds, and the commentary said the programme was made in Italy. I've never been south of Austria and Switzerland. Nor had I ever seen that clip on TV before. At the time, I wasn't into internet forums, so it never occurred to me to go online and see if anyone had seen it and knew more about it.

    As for the reasons I never mentioned that dream to anyone: I suppose even though only nudity was involved and nothing else, back then I was still too prudish to talk about erotic dreams. Nor could I fit it anywhere within any theoretical model. It just shouldn't have occurred, but it was most definitely the scene from my dream. It was all too specific in its weird details. Friends and family consider my memory to be exceptionally good, whereas I get frustrated with other people and their lack of recall, so I certainly don't think I was misremembering a dream. The weird ones stay with me for years. Now that I've begun to understand that our dreaming minds surf the cosmic unconscious, and sometimes scenes from reality itself, I can accept that I saw something that was going on elsewhere. I would love to know when that piece was filmed. Was I seeing the future, or was it contemporaneous to my dream? Unfortunately, it is difficult to date, since the people in the scene were not wearing clothes.

    At the time I saw this on TV, I was still a resolute believer in the mechanistic universe, and as atheist as Richard Dawkins. I suppose now I am edging towards a vague pantheism (a belief in the universal or multiversal mind or consciousness), but that is quite involuntary, and I still have way more questions than certainties. Besides this, if I am to view this as in some way "psychic", for want of a better word, then I can only say it was not deliberately so. I cannot produce such episodes to order. If I could, well, you know what I'm going to say: I'd have won the lottery by now, on purpose! Furthermore, I think this is rather a banal example of "psi", compared to darrenburnfan, who is convinced he saw an unearthly UFO. I'd much rather have had such an experience than my rather banal but bizarre dream. So for that reason I am embarrassed: the subject matter was deeply lacking in seriousness! I also think that, if such an episode happened to me, it can and will happen to others, since I am not special or "psychic" in any way.

    If somebody had told me such a thing before my experience, I'd have laughed in their face - so it's only fair of me to accept it if you are inclined to do likewise. Apart from now accepting that there was a basis for it, I'm kind of bewildered too and would love to hear someone say, "Actually, it's quite normal: I too dreamed about something real that I couldn't have known about."

    So there you have it. Content-wise, my dream about my granddad was far preferable, with its twist-in-the-tale shock ending, which would have been worthy of a short story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DREAMS OF A LIFE C4 Premiere
    By tali122 in forum Films on TV
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-02-13, 12:55 AM
  2. Cave of Forgotten dreams
    By David Challinor in forum Latest Cinema Releases
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-04-11, 11:08 AM
  3. Woman Dreams of Future Murder
    By Purukivel in forum Can You Name This Film
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-03-10, 02:30 AM
  4. Extreme Dreams Series One- Ben Fogel
    By autolycus in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (TV)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-09, 02:04 PM
  5. Road Dreams
    By Tony Pendrey in forum British Television
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-08-06, 07:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts