Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Too Hot to Handle (1960)

Just to show that nice colour prints of this film do exist (although with a German soundtrack.....)

Photographed in Eastman Colour by the great Otto Heller who also worked on Peeping Tom
    co-incidentally starring KarlHeinz Boehm.....

Originally an ABPC release in the Uk, so perhaps Network will do the hounours for UK admirers of Jayne, Babs and co...?

The late KarlHeinz Boehm :

Christoper Lee:

Leo Genn and Jayne:

Jayne has a problem and visits Lambeth Palace to see the Archbishop of Canterbury:

The lovely Barbara Windsor:

After the backstage cat-fight, the girls need a ticking off....:

Last edited by julian_craster; 08-06-14 at 12:16 PM.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Nice frame captures, Julian. I seem to recall this being an 'X' film at the time. I've not come across any German DVDs of British feature films that have an alternative English soundtrack. I hope it's at least got English subtitles. But what we really need is a British DVD release of it.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Nice frame captures, Julian. I seem to recall this being an 'X' film at the time. I've not come across any German DVDs of British feature films that have an alternative English soundtrack. I hope it's at least got English subtitles. But what we really need is a British DVD release of it.

Hope so David, just have to wait I guess, Jayne was lovely, I think it must have been when she was filming this there's a photo of her sitting on a bench at south london park signing autographs, kids on the railings behind her.

In Barbara's biography she explains that Jayne wanted her to dye her hair a different colour, as she wanted to be the only blonde in the film, but she declined, I think Jayne had red hair naturally.

Liked
    98 times
    I can't think of any Archbishop of Canterbury in his right mind who would refuse to see Jayne Mansfield if she went to see him at Lambeth Palace.

Liked
    103 times

I can't think of any Archbishop of Canterbury in his right mind who would refuse to see Jayne Mansfield if she went to see him at Lambeth Palace.

I have the impression that not many church people are interested in sexy young ladies...and the higher up the church you go, the clergy's sexual interests seem to lay elsewhere.....

The German DVD has no sub-titles, so unless you know the plot from other inferior B/W copies, you will be guessing, but there is still losts of nice Eastman Color eye-candy to look upon.....

The 'saucy' cabaret numbers were compared by one 1960 critic to end of term productions at Cheltenham Ladies College !

The sets (the street set, the club interiors) look familiar from Beat Girl, made in B/W in the same year at the same studio [MGM British, Boreham Wood].

I wonder which came first...I guess Too Hot to Handle as it was a more expensive production.

Incidentally, Christopher Lee appears in the same role (as a strip club MC/manager) in both films...

The German DVD is only available from Germany (it is not listed on Amazon UK or USA- beware of inferior B/W copies using the same cover pic The correct link is :

Zu heiss zum Anfassen
    http://www.amazon.de/Zu-heiss-zum-An...dp/B0066IJA8I/
    Last edited by julian_craster; 08-06-14 at 03:25 PM.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster View Post
    The German DVD has no sub-titles, so unless you know the plot from other inferior B/W copies, you will be guessing
    Unless you sprechen a bit of Deutsch

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    According to Wikipedia, the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1945 to 1961 was Geoffrey Fisher. So he would have been the Archbishop Jayne went to see in the film in 1960.

Liked
    103 times
    A nice review from Films and Filming (November 1960) which captures the film perfectly, emphasing the quality of the colour photography (and why the B/W prints used for the US/UK DVDs are a travesty...)

Sorry about the print size, but hope you can read it by saving and using zoom .....
    Last edited by julian_craster; 09-06-14 at 10:59 AM.

Liked
    98 times
    I have that particular issue, Julian, as I have a complete run of Films and Filming from 1957 to 1963, so I'll get it out of the pile and have a read of it. I think the source of the videos and DVDs was an old black and white print made for television long before colour television came in.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster View Post

The sets (the street set, the club interiors) look familiar from Beat Girl, made in B/W in the same year at the same studio [MGM British, Boreham Wood].

I wonder which came first...I guess Too Hot to Handle as it was a more expensive production.

Incidentally, Christopher Lee appears in the same role (as a strip club MC/manager) in both films...
    julian, according to Jonathan Rigby's Christopher Lee The Authorised Screen History, Lee worked on both films at the same time (August 1959) and flitted between sets, hopefully remembering to remove his Too Hot to Handle moustache before filming more of Beat Girl, which appears to have been released quite a while before Too Hot.