Liked
    0 times

Renown Pictures Ltd Film Club Newsletter

June 2014

As you are aware, we at Renown work tirelessly to bring you �lost� British Cinema films from the 1930�s, 40�s, 50�s and 60�s. Without Renown�s restoration work, the majority of these films would never see the light of day again � most commercial DVD labels will not look at a film unless it can sell 1000�s of DVDs. Without your support Renown cannot continue to unearth these films, so please go on supporting us � we are very grateful that you do!

Hoping you are all well, here are some dates for your diary:

On Saturday September 20th AND Saturday November 8th we will be attending the Westminster Film Fair. More details to follow closer to the time.

We were very sad to hear of the passing of Canadian actor Don Borisenko (born Jonas Wolfe). He was known as �the Canadian James Dean� and starred in fellow Canadian Sidney J. Furie�s During One Night (1961), opposite Susan Hampshire � a Renown Film. For this month only, During One Night can be added to your collection for just �5 with free P&P (not available online).

This month we have an extremely interesting release, Sons of the Sea. The only British Film filmed entirely in Dufaycolor. More information in this newsletter.

There are also quite a few Club Members� Special Offers this month: Miss Nightingale, � a Renown title but released by Simply Home Entertainment. Also, Life In Emergency Ward 10, Carry On Admiral, Tom Brown�s School Days and The Pickwick Papers in B&W.

We are thinking of launching Renown Pictures first ever 'Festival of the British B', early next year, to be held in the town of Rickmansworth, Herts � on the Metropolitan Line. A cinema would be at our disposal for screenings, with talks and lectures from those on both sides of the camera in the Classic British Cinema World. Alsong with stalls and a bring and buy area. Please let us know if you are interested in attending by ticking the box on the order form. If you would like a table to sell anything Classic Film related, from posters to 35mm to DVD�s, please get in touch with Sarah at Renown.

Next month, the ever popular Renown Sale! Top up your collections and grab some bargains from our back catalogue.

Best wishes, Noel, Sarah & Neill

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *********

Renown release for June 2014

SONS OF THE SEA

Maurice Elvey directs this war drama starring Leslie Banks and Simon Lack. When Captain Hyde, (Banks), assumes the role of commander of the Royal Navy College after his predecessor is found murdered, he develops a theory that involves him being the intended target. Hyde recruits his son, cadet Philip (Lack), to help him get to the bottom of the crime. Defeating the plans of the enemy, who have laid a secret minefield, Hyde is bombed at sea and loses his memory. His son then comes under suspicion of treason.

Filmed on location at The Royal Naval College, Dartmouth and at Rock Studios in Borehamwood.

Based on a screen photographic process invented in 1908 by Frenchman Louis Dufay, Dufaycolor used light filtered through a mesh containing millions of red, green and blue colour elements. It remained the only successfully implemented additive film stock until the 1970�s.

�...filmed in the pioneering Dufaycolour process, the imagery remains as fresh and immediate today as it was in 1939...�
    ... RADIO TIMES

Directed by: Maurice Elvey

Year of Production: 1939

Cast: Leslie Banks, Kay Walsh, Mackenzie Ward, Cecil Parker, Simon Lack, Ellen Pollock, Peter Shaw, Nigel Stock, Kynaston Reeves, Charles Eaton, Ian Fleming.

RRP �12.99 Club Members �10 + FREE Postage

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *********
    During One Night

For this month only, During One Night starring the recently departed Don Borisenko can be added to your collection for just �5.00 with free P&P (not available online).

Don Borisenko plays a USAF pilot whose buddy is castrated during a mission, leading him to go AWOL in an attempt to lose his virginity. He finds hope in the form of a young Susan Hampshire, but not before a brutal encounter with the military police.

Directed by: Sidney J Furie

Year of Production: 1961

Cast: Don Borisenko, Susan Hampshire, Sean Sullivan, Joy Webster, Graydon Gould, Tom Busby, Alan Gibson.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****

CLUB MEMBERS� SPECIAL OFFERS

NEW RELEASE

Miss Nightingale

A Renown title released by Simply Home Entertainment

The classic TV adaptation of the acclaimed stage play. Janet Suzman takes the lead in this 1974 production about the life, background, motivation and struggles of nurse Florence Nightingale.

�...not for a long time has ITV come up with drama so good�
    ... Daily Express

Directed by: David Reid

Cast: Janet Suzman, Robert Flemyng, Joss Ackland, Nigel Hawthorne.

Life In Emergency Ward 10

Carry On Admiral

Tom Browns School Days

The Pickwick Papers in B&W

All of these are just �5.00 each but are not available online only by Phone � Limited Stock availability so please call to place your order now!

Freephone: 0808 178 8212

Should you wish to take us up on these offers, please use one of the following methods:

Order by Post: Please let us know what you would like with the order form attached and pop a cheque or postal order in the post made payable to:

Renown Productions Ltd and send it to: Renown Pictures, PO Box 592, Kings Langley, Herts, WD4 4DB.

Or call our order hotline now:

Freephone 0808 178 8212

and order directly with one of our team.

Alternatively, you can order at our webshop online: WWW. RENOWNFILMS.CO.UK

Enter the following code at checkout where the total discount will be deducted on the final page prior to payment:

JUNE141 to receive Sons of the Sea with Free Postage for just �10

Please remember you can only enter one voucher at a time.

Renown Film Club Newsletter June 2014

A UK Production & Worldwide Distribution Co & The Home of the British B Feature!
    Owners Of One of the worlds largest Independent film collections
    NEW WEBSITE: www.renownfilms.co.uk
    distribution website: www.renownpicturesltd.com

Tel: +44 (0)1923 290555

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    Much as I admire Renown Pictures in bringing us gems from yesteryear and with such great transfers (will Tons Of Trouble ever surface I wonder)...but the price of �12:99p for the wonderful 'Sons of The Sea' 1939 (in colour)...very reasonable, plus you can get it for �10:00 if you are a Renown member...however if you go to Amazon.UK it is available for �8:50p.

Now I don't want to do Renown out of cash but why can Amazon offer it cheaper than anyone else...after all they must buy copies from Renown in the first place?
    Film Man

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    i have just watched "Its In The Bag",It starts without xredits and lasts 63 minutes.It oeiginally lasted 80 minutes.Does this mean the first 2 reels are lost?

Liked
    2 times
    Orpheum i wish these companies would inform their customers when prints are shorter or apologise because it is the only available print so we can make an informed choice before purchasing.

Liked
    7 times
    I have to admit that firstly i rented my copy through Love Film,i did not buy it.Secondlyi am happy if a copy exists even if it is an incomplete copy.It looks as if the first 2 reels are missing and maybe this should have been mentioned,particulatly as there are no opening credits.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Film Man View Post
    Much as I admire Renown Pictures in bringing us gems from yesteryear and with such great transfers (will Tons Of Trouble ever surface I wonder)...but the price of �12:99p for the wonderful 'Sons of The Sea' 1939 (in colour)...very reasonable, plus you can get it for �10:00 if you are a Renown member...however if you go to Amazon.UK it is available for �8:50p.

Now I don't want to do Renown out of cash but why can Amazon offer it cheaper than anyone else...after all they must buy copies from Renown in the first place?
    Film Man
    what amazon charge is completely up to them...i know they often sell at a loss. also Amazon are a HUGE organisation and can move and transfer profits and losses form one department to another. there are 3 of us at renown......does this answer your question?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    I have to admit that firstly i rented my copy through Love Film,i did not buy it.Secondlyi am happy if a copy exists even if it is an incomplete copy.It looks as if the first 2 reels are missing and maybe this should have been mentioned,particulatly as there are no opening credits.
    dear orpheum thank you so very much for your support. i cannot tell you how much this means ...

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    i have just watched "Its In The Bag",It starts without xredits and lasts 63 minutes.It oeiginally lasted 80 minutes.Does this mean the first 2 reels are lost?
    i am sorry this is the only material in existance in the entire world. trust me. i found it. and we did release it with a free bonus short film - also once lost...