Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I have been looking without luck for a film I saw in the cinema in London sometime around 1973 to about March 1976.I went to the cinema with a friend and remember not particularly wanting to see it because it was an x that had one of those off-putting titles like Hot Acts of Love-although that wasn't what it was called. The cinema was also showing either Diamonds Are Forever or The Man With the Golden Gun I don't recall which but we had already seen it and opted for this one about a man who was either a film or record producer ,he had been in a mental home because of something to do with his mothers death and being afraid of red roses ,his wife who looked a bit like Monica Vitti but it was a long time ago so I may have remembered wrong-was having an affair with her much older doctor and they were trying to drive him mad.The only other bit I recall is a guy with long blond hair wearing black leather who was also something to do with the movie or music business handcuffing a naked willing woman to a bed and he got a phone call then went out on a motorbike and got killed-I think it was murder and the scene was quite gory-

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Sounds very much like one of the bizarre but magnetic productions of the Italian film-maker Mario Bava, whose storyline permutations frequently offered blond men in black leather (Danger-Diabolik) and/or Monica Vitta look-alikes.

Here's a list to speculate on even if it doesn't come up with the right answer.

As a tip, many Italian or Spanish productions took many post-release years to reach British screens, scores eventually appearing as the bottom-half of a double-bill and/or with a completely different title.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000878/?...c_dr1#director

Liked
    1 times
    I was thinking it may have been an Italian film dubbed but after looking still couldn't find it and it wasn't any of the ones you gave me the link to .It looked like a 1970's film so I don't think it was years old at the time also it was the main film- if a couple of scenes were cut it would be the sort of film you could watch with your parents- but the film with it was a boring sex film it had some sort of plot about someone leaving a key in his will, there were about 4 couples plus a lesbian couple who all changed partners at some point I only kept awake by working out who hadn't been with who yet

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    It's definitely an Italian giallo film. I want to say WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS or ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER, but I'm not sure enough to be quoted on it. Let me peruse...

Liked
    1 times
    I just looked up the two films you mentioned Jack and it isn't either of them. The guy on the motorbike wasn't a key part of the story it just stuck in my mind the main plot was about a man who had a breakdown and his wife and her lover trying to drive him insane so they could get his money. If I remember correctly the main actor had hair like Paul McCartney but it was a long time ago

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Is it this one?:

IMDb's plot summary for Your Vice Is A Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972):

Oliviero is a burned-out writer, living at his estate near Venice, his dead mother dominating his imagination. He is also a degenerate: sleeps with his maid and his ex-student, hosts Bacchanalia for local hippies, and humiliates his wife Irina in front of strangers. She lives in terror. When a young woman is murdered, police suspect Oliviero. Things get complicated when his young, beautiful, and self-confident niece, Floriana, pays an unexpected visit. A silver-haired stranger observes. More women die, and thoughts of harming Irina give Oliviero new inspiration. What's Floriana's game and who's the observant stranger? Watching all is a black cat named Satan.

Last edited by cornershop15; 01-11-14 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added link.

Liked
    1 times
    I thought it was this one at first Cornershop15 as the first bit fits but it was his wife who humiliates him and taunts him with her affair to try and drive him insane, also apart from the guy on the motorcycle nobody was killed but this film looks interesting I might check it out

Liked
    7 times
    Your Vice etc was shown in the UK as Excite Me. There is a motorbike in this but the person who gets killed near the end in a crash involving a bike is a woman not a man. Edwige Fenech is one of the main performers which is always a reason for watching a film. I am not sure if this fits your bill.

Liked
    1 times
    I had a look at it on Youtube and it is not the one. I love the title but the film doesn't look worth getting.

Liked
    7 times
    In sounds like an Italian giallo and although I have seen quite a few I can't remember one with a plot you describe although several with bits of the plot you describe. The Fenech giallo All the Colors of the Dark has a similar plot but its Fenech in peril not a man. The Night Evelyn Rose From the Grave involves a mental asylum escape and a guy who wields a whip but again is not quite the same.

I'll have a think.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rose ellen View Post
    I thought it was this one at first Cornershop15 as the first bit fits but it was his wife who humiliates him and taunts him with her affair to try and drive him insane, also apart from the guy on the motorcycle nobody was killed but this film looks interesting I might check it out
    Do ! -it's superb ! - also check out The Strange Vice of Senorah Wardh - but that doesn't have a guy on a motorcycle either

Liked
    4 times
    If you search online for Adrian Smith's book BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, which may be even findable in JPEG or PDF formats, he lists the plot of every single giallo ever made up til date of publication...it will take a few days' serious perusal, but you'll get there.

Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for your help Jack I will try and track the book down

Liked
    1 times
    I found the book on ebay at a very reasonable price I am looking forward to when it arrives

Liked
    0 times
    I have a copy & it's VERY well thumbed - I used to know Adrian (not very well) when I lived in London - but we dropped out of touch.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rose ellen View Post
    ... it was the main film- if a couple of scenes were cut it would be the sort of film you could watch with your parents ...

Maybe we're on the wrong track with Giallo? I thought I might be onto something when I found this trailer, which begins with a shot of red roses. There are other similarities in Wikipedia's plot summary to your description (Manager of a Rock group ... A plan to kill two people in an "auto" accident), but it's more comedy than thriller. Still worth a look:

Liked
    1 times
    Some of it fits and other bits don't but it is a very long time since I saw it. I might try and track this down and watch it thank you for the trailer Cornershop15