Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A Novel Affair

  1. #1
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    4 times
    Does an member have a copy of 'A Novel Affair', a film starring Ralph Richardson and Margaret Leighton made by Muriel Box in 1957? Having not seen it since its original cinema release I would love to be able to see it again. I have plenty to swap or would willingly buy.

    Thank you.

    Dave

  2. #2
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,453
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Does an member have a copy of 'A Novel Affair', a film starring Ralph Richardson and Margaret Leighton made by Muriel Box in 1957? Having not seen it since its original cinema release I would love to be able to see it again. I have plenty to swap or would willingly buy.

    Thank you.

    Dave
    Dave, it's available from Network under its original title The Passionate Stranger:

    http://networkonair.com/shop/1872-pa...thash.8yx0BiS6

  3. #3
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    It was released in the UK in 1957 as The Passionate Stranger. It was changed to A Novel Affair for the American release.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    Dave, it's available from Network under its original title The Passionate Stranger:

    http://networkonair.com/shop/1872-pa...thash.8yx0BiS6

    Dear Gerald and Darrenburnfan,

    Thank you both very much for the information about the film. I shall certainly order a copy. I could not remember the title so I looked up Ralph Richardson's page in IMDb where, as I now discover, it was called under its American title! I have fond memories of it and look forward to seeing it again.

    Thank you. I shall now place my order.

    Dave

  5. #5
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    I could not remember the title so I looked up Ralph Richardson's page in IMDb where, as I now discover, it was called under its American title!
    If you're in the UK then it should display it under the British title, if it has one.
    If you aren't in the UK then it tries to show it under the title for the country you're in, and it defaults to the US title because that's where the majority of its users are

    It shows it for me as The Passionate Stranger, even when I'm not logged in. In Ralph Richardson's filmography or when I search for it under either title, using the old interface or the new one

    Steve

  6. #6
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    If you're in the UK then it should display it under the British title, if it has one.
    If you aren't in the UK then it tries to show it under the title for the country you're in, and it defaults to the US title because that's where the majority of its users are

    It shows it for me as The Passionate Stranger, even when I'm not logged in. In Ralph Richardson's filmography or when I search for it under either title, using the old interface or the new one

    Steve
    Interesting one, Steve. Have just checked the Richardson page on IMDb once more. Here from Buckinghamshire it again offered 'A Novel Affair', though it did mention 'Passionate Stranger' in much smaller print underneath. I really must use my glasses more often!

    Dave

  7. #7
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Interesting one, Steve. Have just checked the Richardson page on IMDb once more. Here from Buckinghamshire it again offered 'A Novel Affair', though it did mention 'Passionate Stranger' in much smaller print underneath. I really must use my glasses more often!

    Dave
    Has Buckinghamshire seceded from the United Kingdom?

    Steve

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Has Buckinghamshire seceded from the United Kingdom?

    Steve
    I think the referendum is sometime in September!

Similar Threads

  1. The Deadly Affair
    By GRAEME in forum British Films and Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-09, 10:36 AM
  2. The Franchise Affair
    By lastpubrunner in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-04-09, 09:15 PM
  3. The strange affair
    By Critto in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-03-09, 01:03 PM
  4. The Deadly Affair
    By moonfleet in forum Can You Name This Film
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-12-08, 01:29 AM
  5. The Butterfly Affair
    By Hugo in forum Ask a Film Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-04, 03:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts