Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    This is a modest film, but it has become a favorite of mine. Alistair Sim plays an Army Chaplain who invites a panel of assorted experts (real and otherwise) to take questions from the audience. They are related to each other in different ways. The audience insists on asking about marriage and it takes off from there.

Martita Hunt is my favorite. I had only seen her in serious roles. Roland Culver, Colin Gordon and Myles Malleson are in the cast as well.

I thought I recognized a beautiful actress and it turned out to be Elizabeth Allan. I had only seen her as a blonde in The 1930s Hollywood versions of A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield. It was very nice to see her again, this time with dark hair.

I will watch anything with Alastair Sim. His films are not that easy to find here. This is a small gem.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Alistair Sim is a great actor in every facet.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    I saw this recently on TV and enjoyed every minute of it.

Tim, did you notice Patricia Routledge at the beginning? She was a barmaid. I'm pretty sure it was her.
    And then George Cole in a scene towards the end.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlGirl View Post
    I saw this recently on TV and enjoyed every minute of it.

Tim, did you notice Patricia Routledge at the beginning? She was a barmaid. I'm pretty sure it was her.
    And then George Cole in a scene towards the end.
    It's a good one, isn't it?

I noticed George Cole, but not Patricia Routledge. You have a very good eye - I'll take a look again.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    This is a modest film, but it has become a favorite of mine. Alistair Sim plays an Army Chaplain who invites a panel of assorted experts (real and otherwise) to take questions from the audience. They are related to each other in different ways. The audience insists on asking about marriage and it takes off from there.

Martita Hunt is my favorite. I had only seen her in serious roles. Roland Culver, Colin Gordon and Myles Malleson are in the cast as well.

I thought I recognized a beautiful actress and it turned out to be Elizabeth Allan. I had only seen her as a blonde in The 1930s Hollywood versions of A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield. It was very nice to see her again, this time with dark hair.

I will watch anything with Alastair Sim. His films are not that easy to find here. This is a small gem.
    Such a charming film. One of my favourites.

Have to agree with you about Alastair Sim - with Margaret Rutherford, the best British comedy actors of their generation.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winchesterstoke View Post
    Such a charming film. One of my favourites.

Have to agree with you about Alastair Sim - with Margaret Rutherford, the best British comedy actors of their generation.
    Very nice to read of another person who likes this one. the timing is impeccable