Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been trying to think of the name of a British movie I saw a few years ago. I can't recall the names of any of the cast members offhand but have an idea that they were a good-looking bunch, perhaps given to romantic intriguing within their own set, regardless of such trifling conventions as marriage lines. But I may be inventing�. The movie is from the 1950s or possibly the late 1940s and is, in terms of genre, what might be termed a melodramatic murder mystery/romance. I believe the man who got murdered was a concert pianist or a composer for piano, not very likable, who was something of a womanizer, possibly married and cheating on his wife with another woman, or he might have been seducing a na�ve young woman. Anyway, someone goes to his cottage or house at night and discovers his dead body slumped over the keyboard, clouted from behind. I think a police inspector later determines that someone's alibi was faked by killing the musician and then putting on a long-playing record of one of his loud, lush compositions, in order to make it seem as though the victim were still alive and so was killed later on, at which time the killer was known to be elsewhere � perhaps at a party next door? There might also be the attempted cover-up murder later on of a housekeeper or domestic servant who figured out the ruse and had to be silenced. I'm a bit hazy on all of this, but if it rings a bell of recollection in anyone's memory I would appreciate any leads to the title, as I could then pull out the disc and take a look. It's somewhere in among about a couple of thousand old British movies I have neatly arranged in alphabetical order � but where?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    It's somewhere in among about a couple of thousand old British movies I have neatly arranged in alphabetical order – but where?
    It's a problem that many collectors and archivists have. It's one thing to have everything properly indexed an catalogued. But when you remember specific scenes but don't remember which title they're from...

We've all been there. It's one of the reasons why BritMovie was set up & why we keep it going

Steve

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm sure I have seen this over the last couple of years but it's in my head as an American noir 40s/ 50s.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I am sure I have seen this on TV quite recently, but like everyone else I can't remember who was in it etc .... I am pretty sure it was an American film.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I think it is this starring the very British George Raft.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/85193/Nocturne/

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I wasn't aware that there'd been an earlier film with George Raft, but the exact same plot is used by Brian Clemens in a THRILLER episode called MURDER IN MIND, starring Richard Johnson, Zena Walker, Donald Gee and Ronald Radd. First series, 1973.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    What a coincidence I was looking up Night Club Scandal from the 1930s starring John Barrymore earlier today and it has pretty much the same plot. He murders his wife and plays a piano roll to make it seem his wife was still alive when he has an alibi.

Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    I believe I finally figured out what this one is: A Stranger in Town (1957) with Alex Nicol and Mary Laura Wood, directed by George Pollock � who later went on to direct Agatha Christie movies. (It took me a while to get around to re-watching it, and I see that a number of my vaguely-remembered details were a bit wide of the mark.) I wonder if this wasn't Pollock's directorial demo-piece, that let him move on to bigger-budgeted films?