Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Black and white, from 1930's or 40's. Maybe British, maybe Mexican, Spanish, Italian, French, even Polish. The sort of thing that was regularly shown on BBC, but no more. It is wartime, some war. maybe imaginary. In the future maybe. there is a town that bombers are flying over, but as no lights are on, the bombers pass over. The protagonist starts yelling to the planes, then rushes from house to house switching lights on so the bombers will see that the town is a valid target and destroy it. Thought it was Shape of Things, but isn't.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic Niewart View Post
    ....The sort of thing that was regularly shown on BBC, but no more. ....Thought it was Shape of Things, but isn't.
    The Shape of Things to Come by HG Wells? Oh no, not on the BBC.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    John Betjeman and Slough (is the flippant answer)?

Other than that it doesn't ring any bells. Would the protagonist be a Fifth Columnist? Or just someone who didn't like their home town?

Nick

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Black and white, from 1930's or 40's. Maybe British, maybe Mexican, Spanish, Italian, French, even Polish. The sort of thing that was regularly shown on BBC, but no more. It is wartime, some war. maybe imaginary. In the future maybe. there is a town that bombers are flying over, but as no lights are on, the bombers pass over. The protagonist starts yelling to the planes, then rushes from house to house switching lights on so the bombers will see that the town is a valid target and destroy it. Thought it was Shape of Things, but isn't.
    Why would they want the bombs to fall on their town?

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Why would they want the bombs to fall on their town?

Steve
    I couldn't figure that out either which is why I made no effort to look for it. It doesn't make sense.

Liked
    0 times
    I don't remember too well but he has escaped...paradigm shift: if a British POW has escaped from the Nazis during the war in Germany...and he knows the Allied bombers above are searching for the V2 base, he would light up the evil lair although that would probably signal his own demise, wouldn't it?

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Battle of The V-1 ?

Liked
    0 times
    No Battle of the V1 is from 1958. The movie I am thinking of is earlier.

Liked
    418 times
    Operation Crossbow (1965) had a similar idea where secret agent George Peppard has infiltrated the V2 (and V3) factory. He manages to get the roof open so that the bombers will see the lights and drop their deadly cargo, on George and all of the slave labourers.

But no houses or village and no shouting at the bombers

Steve

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Maybe he's mixing up Operation Crossbow with one of the early wartime scenes from Till Death Us Do Part (1968), where, during a German bombing raid on London, Alf Garnett comes out of his house and shakes his fist at the bombers and shouts something like: "BLOODY SWINES! COME DOWN 'ERE AN' FIGHT LIKE MEN!"

Liked
    0 times
    No. This was on BBC, many years ago. From the 30's or 40's. I think a foreign film. Black and white.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Well, you've got me there, Nic. Maybe you should also ask on the IMDb forum to see if it rings a bell with any of the menbers on there.

Liked
    418 times
    No. This was on BBC, many years ago. From the 30's or 40's. I think a foreign film. Black and white.
    Well there weren't many bombers in the 1930s

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    It might have been a Spanish Civil war set film (the first War to use massive aerial bombardment, and on civilians). Check this list, see if it rings a bell ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ivil_War_films

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    It might have been a Spanish Civil war set film (the first War to use massive aerial bombardment, and on civilians). Check this list, see if it rings a bell ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ivil_War_films
    It could well be, but have been unable to get any info or pix from any site. It sounds promising.... But I have been on this quest for years..what's another couple. Thanks for your suggestion.
    IMDB has drawn a blank also.