Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Firstly, great news on our Festival Of Film Sunday 8th February 2015. Brian Murphy, (Last Of the Summer Wine, George & Mildred) has very kindly agreed to open the Festival officially at noon on the day! Doors still open at 10am for our first film and guest speaker and a chance to grab some exclusive DVD and memorabilia bargains. Here is a selection of the films we will be showing � all of which were once �lost� and this will be their first screening since their theatrical release many years ago:

London Entertains 1951
    Starring: Eamonn Andrews and Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe, Michael Bentine.

Tour conducted by Eamonn Andrews of the Battersea Festival to a BBC Studio to hear The Goons of radio fame, then the Windmill Theatre.

Frail Women 1932 Directed by: Maurice Elvey

The story of Lillian (Mary Newcomb) who has an illegitimate war baby adopted by a wealthy spinster. He then dies and the father of the child, who is now a colonel, agrees to marry Lillian so that their daughter can marry. A tragic outcome ensues.

The Case of the Mukkinese Battle-Horn 1956
    Directed by: Joseph Sterling
    Starring: Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, Dick Emery
    Written by: Harry Booth & Spike Milligan

A pair of detectives from Scotland Yard are assigned to look into the disappearance of the Mukkinese Battle Horn, a ninth-century artifact, from the Metropolitan Museum.

Hole Lot of Trouble (Short) 1969 (Colour)
    Starring: Arthur Lowe, Victor Maddern, Bill Maynard, Tim Barrett

Madcap comedy following workmen digging a hole.

Tons of Trouble 1956
    Stars: Richard Hearne, William Hartnell

Mr Pastry the caretaker, has looked after some huge office boilers all his life. The system is to be modernised, meaning that the old boilers will be scrapped, along with their loving caretaker. A comedy about a changing world, it was shown at peak time in the evening, which just goes to show how the world continues to change and a fitting ending to our Festival Of Film.

Grab your tickets soon as they are now running out � just �5 for Club Members � it�s guaranteed to be a day to remember! Final guest speakers to be announced next month.

Call 0808 178 8212 for your ticket now!

Renown have teamed up with fellow classic label Strike Force/ Cherry Red to bring you two exiting Club Specials this month, details overleaf, enjoy! Also, a Renown 3 for �15, and, last but not least, the moment you�ve all been waiting for... we are delighted to present JIGSAW is now released and also The Rough & The Smooth.

And finally � Saturday 8th November we will be at the Westminster 80 Years Of Hammer Horror Show as normal, but sadly the organisers have not been able to give our club members a discount on the door entry this time�

Best wishes, Noel, Sarah & Neill

At last � the First Ever Release of JIGSAW the full version restored and the First Release of The Rough and the Smooth exclusively brought to you by Renown Pictures.

At last, following intensive research and restoration! Renown have worked tirelessly to bring you the First Ever Release of JIGSAW � fully restored and direct from the 35mm exclusively to you from Renown Pictures. This is an anamorphic feature, presented in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. This feature is intended to be viewed widescreen.

ORDER NOW!

Demand is very high. Please order your copy to ensure prompt dispatch.

JIGSAW

... �inspired by the Brighton Trunk Murders of the 1930s. Clearly influenced by the contemporary shift towards social realism, director Val Guest strives to give this police procedural a documentary feel. However, as Inspector Jack Warner and Sergeant Ronald Lewis shuttle from Saltdean to Lewes in search of clues to the identity of the man responsible for the brutal slaying of the pregnant and unmarried Moira Redmond, there�s nothing quaintly Christie about the killing, with the dismemberment of the corpse owing more to hard-boiled pulp and Graham Greene�s Brighton Rock. The support playing of Yolande Donlan, Michael Goodliffe, John Barron and John Le Mesurier is unshowily effective. But Warner relishes the opportunity to show a harder edge than the BBC allowed him on Dixon of Dock Green, as he sucks mints to stop himself smoking and frets about whether he will have cracked the case in time to watch Brighton play Southampton in a local derby...�

Reviewed by: David Parkinson
    Historian & Film Critic, Radio Times

Directed by: Val Guest
    Starring: Jack Warner, Ronald Lewis, Yolande Donlan, John Le Mesurier
    Year of Production: 1962

The Rough and The Smooth

While the film�s star, Nadja Tiller, was unknown in Britain, she had starred in many German films and was Miss Austria in 1949. Ila�s foreignness is key and Margaret�s slightly prim glamour is no match for her continental seductiveness. But the promise of sex masks something more
    dangerous and giving her body so freely signals Ila�s emotional deadness. Mike learns his lesson the hard way.

An archaeologist forsakes his fianc�e for a passionate affair with a beautiful young German woman. But Ila has more than love on her mind�

�Neglected Film Noir...� BFI
    Originally a certificate X , this daring film for its time was banned in many cinemas due to its salacious scenes...

Robert Siodmak had left behind a successful Hollywood career in 1952, just as McCarthyism began to rear its head. He subsequently made several films in Germany and France but this was his only British feature. He was complemented by a fine technical line-up, including Otto Heller on camera and set designs by Ken Adam. BFI

Directed by: Robert Siodmak
    Starring: Nadja Tiller, Tony Britton, William Bendix
    Year of Production: 1952

MEMBERS DEAL �20 for BOTH of these RENOWN NEW RELEASES
    SAVING YOU �5.98 � with FREE UK POSTAGE!

Club Member�s Specials

As Christmas is approaching why not treat your friends to three excellent Christmas Gifts:

Scrooge, A Christmas Carol In Colour and Pickwick Papers In Colour

and the delightful Command Performance

all three for �15

CLUB SPECIALS NOT AVAILABLE ONLINE
    BY FREEPHONE OR POST ONLY

Renown Have teamed up with our friends at Strikeforce to bring you two Club Specials!

Gracie Fields � Icon Of Variety
    A Newsreel Celebration RRP �16.99
    For Renown Club Members Only �12

From humble beginnings in Rochdale in Lancashire as Grace Stansfield, she made her first stage appearance at the age of five and went onto international super-stardom.

�Wonderful collection of rare newsreels � a MUST for all fans of Gracie Fields and 20th century history.� Amazon

Variety Acts And Turns Of The Early 1930�s
    RRP �19.99
    For Renown Club Members ONLY �13

A comprehensive six hours plus double disc celebration of the glorious golden age of British Variety, from the earliest era of sound cinema.

�Fantastic material, amazing picture and sound quality considering the age of the film.� Amazon

Renown Pictures Ltd are proud to announce

The First Renown Festival Of Film 2015

Sunday 8th February 2015, 10am till 5.30pm
    At Watersmeet Theatre, High Street,
    Rickmansworth, WD3 1EH.

Easily Accessible Venue with excellent Cinema.
    Film Screenings throughout the day, free of charge with your entrance ticket.
    Key Guest Speakers.
    Dealer tables with film bargains

Limited availability so get your ticket quick!

Either order your ticket by post and add to your order or call our Freephone number and your ticket will be dispatched to you.

You can also purchase a ticket online: select the product:
    CLUB MEMBERS TICKET FOR RENOWN
    FESTIVAL OF FILM 2015.

Should you wish to take us up on these offers, please use one of the following methods:

Order by Post: Please let us know what you would like with the order form attached and pop a cheque or postal order in the post made payable to: Renown Productions Ltd and send it to:

Renown Pictures,
    PO Box 592, Kings Langley, Herts, WD4 4DB.

Or call our order hotline now:
    Feephone 0808 178 8212
    and order directly with one of our team.

Alternatively, you can order at our webshop online: WWW. RENOWNFILMS.CO.UK

Enter the following codes at checkout where the total discount will be deducted on the final page prior to payment:

NOV142 for both Renown Releases for �20
    NOV141 for one of the Renown New Releases only at just �10.99 each

The Club Specials this month are NOT available online.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Jigsaw, at last. Well done Renown !!! Order placed. Very much looking forward to seeing a nice pristine print of this.

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Whilst an official release of Jigsaw is very welcome after years of waiting I am rather puzzled by the restoration. I have a video tape recording of it and had assumed that many scenes that appear washed out and lacking in contrast on it would be corrected on digitisation but not so. Those pale scenes are still there and do detract somewhat from the atmosphere I feel. Whether there is a problem with the source material I cannot say but it does cry out for a dose of ‘cinematic Photoshoping’. It can’t be my television as all the Edgar Wallace DVDs I play have excellent contrast. What do others think? (This is not a complaint, just a personal observation. I still say ‘Hats off to Renown for the release’).

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Not sure they accessed the print from Studio Canal, though .....

Studio Canal now control the British Lion archive and have access to the negs/best quality prints.

So I am puzzled as to how this bypassed Network DVD !

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Good to see it the film in widescreen at last (thank you Renown), my only observation was that the picture seemed rather soft focus and not quite as sharp as it could have been.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Here is a scan of a 35mm CinemaScope frame from the film that I cut out at the Plaza, Fenton, in early 1963. The DVD should look as clear as this.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    My copy is not as clear. It's a bit milky and you have to alter the contrast.

Liked
    98 times
    In that case, they've either not gone back to the original 35mm film elements for the transfer, or the transfer's been badly done.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    In that case, they've either not gone back to the original 35mm film elements for the transfer, or the transfer's been badly done.
    I would say a lot of both. Digitally Restored and Remastered. Far from it. I watched "Jigsaw" yesterday afternoon. Very disappointing quality, blown out highlights no detail, rolled off high-end audio. But despite all this I was still able to be totally engrossed in this compelling Val Guest directed crime drama. Seeing the film in its original aspect ratio also made a big difference.
    The quality is far from your screengrabs, Darrenburnfan. I am hoping somebody someday will get their hands on the 35mm original neg or fine grain and do a great Blu Ray release of this fine film.

Liked
    98 times
    As it was a British Lion film, Stephen, maybe Network might be interested in remastering it for DVD. Although now it's been released by Renown, there's not much hope of that for the present. Have Renown made a claim that it's been digitally restored and remastered for this release? If so, someone should take them to court about it under the Trade Descriptions Act. If punters believed such lies, and bought the DVD in the belief that the film had been remastered, then Renown would be selling the DVD under false pretences. The Americans tell a lot of such lies about their 'remastered and restored' films on DVD, when they've actually been transferred from very poor quality videos. But I thought the British companies weren't yet prone to stooping that low.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    To quote Renown:
    "fully restored and direct from the 35mm"
    ..... so vague as to mean anything I think !

Liked
    98 times
    Well in that case, Philip, if they did use an orginal 35mm print or negative for the transfer, then whoever transferred it did a very shoddy job and they should have been made to do it again and get it right.

FOOTNOTE: I assume that this excerpt uploaded on YouTube a few days ago is from the new DVD. If it is, it doesn't look too bad. Of course, the image quality may not look as clear when enlarged on a big television screen, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx4ZrkR4JxQ
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 29-12-14 at 12:45 PM.

Liked
    153 times
    My bad for misquoting them but it doesn't alter the fact that in this day and age, with the level of technology, a transfer of this low standard should be deemed acceptable in the marketplace.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, the excerpt on YouTube does look a bit 'soft', but that could be the way it was uploaded. However, if the actual DVD transfer looks as soft, then that's a poor show all round. As for that ultra annoying performance by the plummy voiced Brian Oulton as the estate agent, it's incredible to think that, despite his RP accent, he was actually born in Liverpool. Maybe he left there as a baby, because he had no trace whatsoever of a scouse accent in this.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes i agree this was for me a bitter disappointment,i always test dvd releases when they make such claims,look for the small statement where it says "The persons portrayed are fictitious and any similarity is purely coincedental,
    If this can be read then yes they have done a good job,alas there no chance with this product
    As a result I cancelled my Renown Membership....

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It SHOULD BUT BE WARNED IT DOES NOT,NOT IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM,,
    Shame on RENOWN
    This WAS my First and my LAST FROM RENOWN,It is better than the E-Bay offerings BUT NOT MUCH BETTER JUST THE PRICE MINE WAS �12.99

See my review on Amazon UK

Liked
    0 times
    Firstly I am sorry that you feel disappointed with our release. I can assure you that we spent months transferring from two different 35mm sources to create the final master. Secondly this was done at Deluxe along with the restoration which is one of the largest facility houses in the UK.
    I can assure you this was the best this film could have been presented with the film elements made available to us. I should make you aware that the director did intend for the outdoor shots to be stark and comparison to the gloominess of the interior scenes..
    For a film of this age I should also make you aware that we have received a huge amount of positive feedback on this release which has been a great boost and counteracts the minimal negative responses.
    thank you to all of you who have been so supportive of Renown, we are a small family run company and the ONLY dvd lable that spends months if not years extensively restoring our films and remastering within our budgets.

Liked
    98 times
    Considering the poor quality of the transfer, I think the price should be knocked down to a much fairer �4:99.

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnallan View Post
    Whilst an official release of Jigsaw is very welcome after years of waiting I am rather puzzled by the restoration. I have a video tape recording of it and had assumed that many scenes that appear washed out and lacking in contrast on it would be corrected on digitisation but not so. Those pale scenes are still there and do detract somewhat from the atmosphere I feel. Whether there is a problem with the source material I cannot say but it does cry out for a dose of ‘cinematic Photoshoping’. It can’t be my television as all the Edgar Wallace DVDs I play have excellent contrast. What do others think? (This is not a complaint, just a personal observation. I still say ‘Hats off to Renown for the release’).
    My post above seems to have been the first to comment on the quality of the ’Jigsaw’ release and it has prompted some discussion and a response from the good people at Renown. Whilst it is puzzling to ordinary punters like me why some scenes were not enhanced by Deluxe, what is done is done and we nevertheless have a long-awaited film to enjoy and I am grateful to Renown for releasing it. Indeed I am greatly appreciative of all their efforts in making available films of yesteryear that otherwise would deny us the pleasure of seeing. Keep up the good work.

Liked
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by renownpictures View Post
    Firstly I am sorry that you feel disappointed with our release. I can assure you that we spent months transferring from two different 35mm sources to create the final master. Secondly this was done at Deluxe along with the restoration which is one of the largest facility houses in the UK.
    I can assure you this was the best this film could have been presented with the film elements made available to us. I should make you aware that the director did intend for the outdoor shots to be stark and comparison to the gloominess of the interior scenes..
    For a film of this age I should also make you aware that we have received a huge amount of positive feedback on this release which has been a great boost and counteracts the minimal negative responses.
    thank you to all of you who have been so supportive of Renown, we are a small family run company and the ONLY dvd lable that spends months if not years extensively restoring our films and remastering within our budgets.
    You say that you spent months on restoring this film from 35mm materials.

I would like to say up front, if you didn't have the 35mm original negative or a 35mm fine-grain master, made from the original negative, to work with, I wouldn't have even attempted to proceed. Anything from a 35mm dupe negative forward in generation away from the original is simply not suitable for video mastering. You could have saved yourselves 'months' of effort and money by simply not proceeding until such time that original materials could be accessed.

If, in the case that you did access original material, all I can say is that the result does not indicate it. There is no texture or detail present that shows that an original negative or fine-grain has been utilized. When the telecine colorist receives inferior 35mm materials to work with such as dupe negatives and projection prints etc. to work with, you cannot expect to get anywhere near good results.

I have had some experience in the telecine area, I supervised the high Def 'Definitive Twilight Zone' volumes a few years ago, we were lucky to be able to access 35mm original negatives for the transfers.

I hope I have not offended by speaking plainly. In my opinion I would not proceed with a project unless you have the right materials to work with and you will save yourselves a lot of money and effort and, in the end, heartbreak, from some negative reviews that you will get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast