Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    No Time for Tears (UK 1957)

Anna Neagle, Sylvia Syms, George Baker, Anthony Quayle, Adrienne Posta

Until NETWORK issue a proper widescreen DVD this movie is available - a pan and scan TV copy on YT:

Part One
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5NNMN0ikOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5NNMN0ikOA

Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzb438FyBBA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzb438FyBBA

The poor people of the 1950s needed Dame Anna to sort their lives out...!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Thanks for the links, Julian. I, too, am waiting for a 2.35:1 widescreen DVD of this film, as I haven't seen it in CinemaScope since I went to see it in January, 1958, aged ten and three quarters...almost 57 years ago. The film was supported by a black and white Western starring Jim Davis entitled The Badge of Marshal Brennan. I remember it was snowing at the time and I remember coming out of the pictures that night and it was deep in snow and blowing a blizzard and that there was no traffic about. I feel sure that there's a scene missing on this upload, where George Baker and Michael Hordern are fighting to save the life of a little girl who has gone into cardiac arrest in the operating theatre. In this upload, we see her being wheeled into the theatre on a trolley and then wheeled out again dead. So it's obvious there's something missing there.

Liked
    103 times
    I think you are correct - there seem to be about 4 minutes missing !

Liked
    98 times
    Here is an original Front-of-House still from the time of the initial release. One thing that is very noticeable is how much younger everyone in it was in 1957. I wonder what became of the Boulting twins (seen in this still). They look to be around four years old here, which would make them around 62 by now.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 16-11-14 at 06:38 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    ABC Film Review, October, 1957.

Liked
    98 times
    Another original Front-of-House still with Jonathan Ley as Timmy and Sylvia Syms as Margaret. I have seven stills from this set of eight,
    but I've so far never come across the eighth still, whatever it is, and I'm always on the look out for it.

Member Country: United States Jennythenipper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Any word when/if this is coming out on a proper DVD? There is a bootleg out there, but I'm imagining it's the same quality as the youtube version.

Liked
    98 times
    No word as yet. I keep looking on the Network forthcoming releases though. I think that along with Let's Be Happy it's the only ABPC feature from the late 1950s that they haven't released yet.

Liked
    0 times
    OK, fingers crossed! I really want a decent copy of this to complete my AQ collection.

Liked
    103 times
    Do you have The Challenge in your Anthony Quayle collection ?

Not a typical Anthony Quayle role - he plays a criminal !

The Region 2 DVD has a good quality print, unlike the US release which is awful (as It Takes a Thief )..:

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Julian: Yes, I do have the Challenge, aka It Takes a Thief. But I have the rubbish US release. I am adding the Region 2 DVD to my March shopping basket. Thanks for the tip!

AQ plays a nice guy who took the rap for a gang of hoodlums. Unlike the usual trope of nice guy tries to go straight, he actually tries to dig up the stolen money and skip town with the bad girl. AQ is great in it, and he has some great scenes with Barbara Mullen who plays his mother in law. It's got a nice kitchen sink feel to it. Literally, in one scene he is washing dishes! Carl Mohner makes a wonderful baddy. The only weakness is Mansfield's acting which is pretty uneven. In some scenes, with Quayle she's alright, but at other times she's really wooden. It's nice to at least see her playing a character who isn't just a dumb blonde (some of her roles from the fifties are just appalling.) This is a decent noir, with a sparky jazz score and some good supporting performances. It deserves a decent release.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Caveat Emptor : The Renown DVD of THE CHALLENGE is 4:3.

Liked
    103 times
    I don't think it was shot in a 'Scope format, so not too much is cut off - and the print is generally good....

I like the very stylised opening scene, setting a film noir style (doesn't AQ wear a vest and Jayne is in bed...?).

I get the impression from the movie that AQ rather liked working with Jayne - so different from all those intense RSC types !

And look out for Peter Reynolds - he is really mean and nasty to the boy in this film !

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster View Post
    I don't think it was shot in a 'Scope format, so not too much is cut off - and the print is generally good....

I like the very stylised opening scene, setting a film noir style (doesn't AQ wear a vest and Jayne is in bed...?).

I get the impression from the movie that AQ rather liked working with Jayne - so different from all those intense RSC types !

And look out for Peter Reynolds - he is really mean and nasty to the boy in this film !
    Yeah, it wasn't shot in wide screen, that I can find. It was a cheaply done film. Digging back through the old publicity materials I could find nothing about cinemascope, which surely they would have touted in the press book.

Yes, the opening scene is really racy. Quayle is shirtless in bed (no vest: I've studied this intensely you see...) and Jayne puts her stockings on. Very noir with the flashing neon lights outside the window.

It's not hard to imagine him enjoying filming this movie. Despite being the lead in relatively few films he did get manage to play love scenes with some of the screen's most glamourous actresses. Quayle doesn't mention acting with Mansfield or other bomb shells like Zsa Zsa Gabor in this period, but he does recount his someone odd interactions with Marilyn Monroe in his autobio. She accidently locked herself in his bathroom when she came to visit and there was some drama about getting her out. This was when Marilyn came over to film The Prince and Showgirl. Quayle was acting in Miller's A View From the Bridge and invited the couple over for dinner. It's great when you look at photos from the Royal Command Performance of The Battle of the River Plate, Quayle and Monroe are chatting together like old comrades. Just prior to her being introduced to the queen AQ helped her with a wardrobe malfunction.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Good news for those who have been waiting for this one.

http://networkonair.com/shop/2329-no...for-tears.html

Liked
    98 times
    BINGO! At Last. Thanks for letting us know, Phil. Next March 16th, eh? Well, I'll be there and clicking with my mouse and buying it when the time comes!

Liked
    98 times
    Sorry, folks, I meant to type March 21st.