Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cooper View Post
    Wow, it really hasn't changed a bit!
    The cars are uglier.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Chris, I did think Cecil Parker's house could be 4 Montpelier Square. I was going by the lamppost and the GPO cover by the front step-But, the windows are different so now I'm not so sure! The street seems to be on a gentle slope from left to right.

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CliveT View Post
    Hi Chris, I did think Cecil Parker's house could be 4 Montpelier Square. I was going by the lamppost and the GPO cover by the front step-But, the windows are different so now I'm not so sure! The street seems to be on a gentle slope from left to right.
    In the film, the looks like a half-hexagonal bay set into the wall. 4 Montpelier Square doesn't have that, but you can see that design in other houses, like number 9 (to the right, first house after the right turn). Apart from the glazing difference, the window itself in the film is the same as appears to the right of 4 Montpelier Square, and indeed 5, 6 & 7. The current window on the left, though, is wider and has a different design to the top of the surround, and has a much thicker sill, but apart from that pretty much everything else about the house matches. The steps, the slope, the GPO cover, the lamp-post and its position, the balconey, the railings (including the small gate its lock plate), etc. In the film you can even see the outline of the bucket of the drain-pipe to the top-left of the door. I would put good money on this being the house in the film, the usual arched window simply having been enlarged into a conventional rectangle at one point.

Liked
    0 times
    Clive T and Nick Cooper very many thanks for you input, input which appears to be pretty conclusive. I've been looking, without success, for some old photographs of Montpelier Square. However, I did find an entry for the square in the 'Survey of London' and below is a very small extract from that entry.

"East side: Nos 1–7
    Nos 3–7 follow the end houses in their general proportions, the chief modification in design being the different treatment of the ground-floor windows (flat-arched as opposed to round-headed) and the lack of an attic floor. The greater width allows the windows to be paired, thus giving more individual identity to the houses; a slight emphasis is given to the middle house by means of segmental arches over the first-floor windows."

Now I wonder if those architectural details mentioned above describe this photo?

Liked
    0 times
    If it is No. 4 in the film, the window on the left actually belongs to No. 3. If you "stand back" in Streetview, it's clear that 3-7 are in fact identical (barring the arches caps to the first floor windows of No. 5), except for the ground floor window of No. 3., which is wider than those of 4-7, even though the wall it is set in is not. Perhaps it was the case that No. 3's window was initially widened and modified into the form seen in the film, and then later returned to a more conventional style, but keeping the new width?

The Survey of London page includes a mid-90s drawning of the front elevations, which is too small to properly read, but luckily the full size image is available here. On this it's clear from the east side view (middle-right) just how much the ground floor window of No. 3 differs from 4-7, which is pretty conclusive proof of alteration/s at some point.

Liked
    0 times
    Well I think we can call this one solved and that the rather odd looking window bit the dust some time after 1952. Again, thanks to Clive T and Nick Cooper.

Liked
    0 times
    Perhaps now we can take a look at the street supposedly in "Lewisham," since that's my manor now!

Liked
    0 times
    Nick, I'm pretty certain that the 'Lewisham' location, where Parker calls on Laurence Naismith is No.1 Rose Gardens, West Ealing, W5. I'm pretty certain it's the junction with Maple Grove in the distance.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Why not celebrate with a meal at Montpelianos just around the corner, Bon Appetite !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
    Well I think we can call this one solved and that the rather odd looking window bit the dust some time after 1952. Again, thanks to Clive T and Nick Cooper.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
    Nick, I'm pretty certain that the 'Lewisham' location, where Parker calls on Laurence Naismith is No.1 Rose Gardens, West Ealing, W5. I'm pretty certain it's the junction with Maple Grove in the distance.
    That explaisn why it doesn't look much like Lewisham!

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    Why not celebrate with a meal at Montpelianos just around the corner, Bon Appetite !!
    That would depend on who's paying!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12