Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    The story of Bletchley Park and the wartime code cracking of the Enigma machine that allowed the Germans to broadcast highly secret messages in code.

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightly, Mark Strong and Charles Dance.

The entire cast are excellent, with KK giving, for me, her best screen performance. BC has been nominated for an Oscar but as good as he is as Alan Turing, I doubt he has a real chance of winning.

This really is an outstanding film which shouldn't be missed.

10 out of 10

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I saw it this afternoon at a packed Stamford Arts Centre. Very enjoyable.

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    However not completely accurate in its telling.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    However not completely accurate in its telling.
    It's a film, not a historical document

Steve

Liked
    7 times
    ok but if it is based on a real event why fictionalise incidents and characters.doesnt make sense to me.

Liked
    418 times
    ok but if it is based on a real event why fictionalise incidents and characters.doesnt make sense to me.
    Because that's what films do. They often start off with real people and/or real events but then they fictionalise them so that they're almost unrecognisable.

e.g. Braveheart (1995) which is total fantasy and bears very little relation to reality apart from the names of some of the people involved

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    The Dambusters and Zulu weren't wholly accurate either. In my opinion,a true incident related in a way of a documentary can be really fascinating,but if you tried to make a feature film scene for scene and word for word,it might not make good cinema. United 93 comes to mind of making a brilliant drama from a true and tragic situation,but Paul Greengrass still had "surmise" scenes and words.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B View Post
    The Dambusters and Zulu weren't wholly accurate either. In my opinion,a true incident related in a way of a documentary can be really fascinating,but if you tried to make a feature film scene for scene and word for word,it might not make good cinema. United 93 comes to mind of making a brilliant drama from a true and tragic situation,but Paul Greengrass still had "surmise" scenes and words.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B
    Even "documentaries" based on real events still select and edit scenes and contents

Steve

Liked
    7 times
    the Colditz Story was very faithful to actual events as was Sink The Bismark.

Liked
    418 times
    the Colditz Story was very faithful to actual events as was Sink The Bismark.
    The character portrayed in The Colditz Story by John Mills, Capt. Patrick Reid, is based on P.R. Reid, author of the novel on which the film was based. Reid, imprisoned at Colditz 1940-42 until his successful escape, also was technical consultant on the film. The German security officer, Paul Priem, also is portrayed (by Denis Shaw) under his actual name. Priem had died in 1943. All the other character names were invented for the film. All of the events were loosely based on reality but were selected and edited for the film. They also didn't show the long periods of boredom in between the exciting events shown in the film.

For Sink the Bismarck, the film's closing epilogue states: "This film was based upon actual operations against the German battleship, 'Bismarck'. Grateful acknowledgment is made to the Admiralty for their most generous help, advice and co-operation. The character called Captain Shepard is completely fictitious and is in no way intended to depict Captain R. A. B. Edwards (now Admiral Sir Ralph Edwards, K.C.B. , C.B.E.) who was the actual Director of Operations at the time of the 'Bismarck' engagement."

Steve

Liked
    7 times
    so does that mean you agree that those 2 films are faithful or are you saying they are unfaithful?Lets take The Man Who Never Was.The main section was very faithful.the second part with the Stephen Boyd character was fictionalised.However I would say that the fictionalised part did not interefere too much with the story.
    Of course we then come to 2 more naval films which I believe to be pretty faithful.Firstly The Battle of the River Plate.Now what was the name of the director,just slipped my mind!Then there was the Yangtse incident by Herbert Wilcox.Now what was that other directors name.Produced by the Bullseye company wasn't it?

Liked
    418 times
    so does that mean you agree that those 2 films are faithful or are you saying they are unfaithful?Lets take The Man Who Never Was.The main section was very faithful.the second part with the Stephen Boyd character was fictionalised.However I would say that the fictionalised part did not interefere too much with the story.
    I was saying that they weren't very faithful to the true story. But that doesn't stop them being good films based on the true story but that they were fictionalisations based on the original story. Just like The Imitation Game

I never expect any film or any documentary to give an accurate representation of the true story. They are made primarily as entertainments, not as a historical record of everything that happened

Steve

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I felt it portrayed the essence of Turings work and his personal life fairly accurately but its a film thats sets out to entertain, as all good films should

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Due to information being held back on the 50 to 100 year rules we won't get to know the full story for another 30 years, so a little "faction" is used.
    Bryan Forbes was happy to adapt Clifton James autobiography as written for "I Was Monty's Double". But according to his own bio was angered by the director, John Guillermin's, insistence of the German kidnap story line.

Liked
    9 times
    Turings work and his personal life fairly accurately
    I havn't seen the film yet (I have kids, so it was Shawn the Sheep instead...which was excellent), but if you read the actual accounts of like at Station X, you find that Turing was actually fairly well adjusted, and his homosexuality was pretty open. He was seen as likeable, and dispite his breakthroughs, did not (nor claimed) to have broken Enigma single handed. He was sufficently charming to almost get someone to marry him, even though she knew he was gay.

There is an article which points up the differences between historical reality here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...an_turing.html

We all understand that drama is not history, but its a bit of shame that his character could not have been portrayed more true to life. On the other hand, he did a lot for his country and science, and if the film makes him known to people who would not previously been interested, then thats something.

Steve has a pint about films from the 1950's being made with the help of people who had some sort of interest in a particular version of events. In Sink the Bismarck, there was of course no mention of the fact that Ultra intercepts had pinpointed its position, not the Catalina's that formed the offical version (they were told to wander around a certain area, and see what might turn up..). And in the case of the Man Who Never Was, Ewen Montague was very much involved in the production, including a cameo. However, later research has shown him to be pretty slippery at the time, and perhaps willing to take credit for things which he had little part in - in fact if you read Ben Macintyre's book, he comes out as a really unpleasent individual, willing to undermine others at the drop of a hat.

History is history, and drama is something else, but it would be nice to have them slightly closer togeather.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Caught up with this, somewhat belatedly, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great to see an intelligent and well acted entertainment. I would have given Bemedict the Oscar.

Senior Member Country: England Nakke's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just started my free amazon prime 30-day trial for this film alone...honestly, after 15 minutes of browsing I couldn't find anything else interesting to watch.

Senior Member Country: England cumberbatches_woman's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamilton View Post
    Caught up with this, somewhat belatedly, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great to see an intelligent and well acted entertainment. I would have given Bemedict the Oscar.
    I have only just watched This film recently too, I too thoroughly enjoyed it from Start to Finish, and it had Me in tears at The end, What a Superb portrayal of Turing Benedict gave, I agree John an Oscar was well deserved !!

Liked
    7 times
    Shame about the complete exclusion of Tommy Flowers' contribution, though I understand that it would have unbalanced the Turing-led storyline somewhat.

Senior Member Country: England cumberbatches_woman's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times