Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times

Richard Palmer as Ronnie Winslow, Peter Cushing as Sir Robert Morton and in the background Gwen Watford as Catherine Winslow in the BBC's 1958 version of THE WINSLOW BOY.

The Times review of it on 14th March 1958 said:

Mr. Cartier's deliberately suave production laid out the play for inspection . . . he avoided commentary by the camera and entrusted the play to his excellent cast. Mr. Peter Cushing played Morton without the savagery associated with the part; it was an icy and mercurial performance which preserved the character's paradoxical combination of ruthlessness and gentle reserve.

Cushing himself praised Gwen Watford and said that "Nora Swinburne (as Grace Winslow) and John Robinson were . . . outstandingly good."

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    ...Cushing played Morton without the savagery associated with the part...
    I wonder what that means?

Is it a comment on Robert Donat from the film or Emlyn Williams from the first stage production?

Member Country: United States Jennythenipper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IlllIIllllIIii View Post
    I wonder what that means?

Is it a comment on Robert Donat from the film or Emlyn Williams from the first stage production?
    Maybe it's a comment on the "cruel to be kind" scene, where Morton takes the boys testimony, all the while berating him and accusing him of lying. After subjecting him to that he surprisingly takes the case, saying that it's clear the boy is telling the truth. That's the only "savagery" I can think of. It's pretty hard to think of Robert Donat as any way "savage." Even in Monte Cristo in his rags with his ten foot long beard you expect him to break out the tea and crumpets.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennythenipper View Post
    ..It's pretty hard to think of Robert Donat as any way "savage."...
    Yes. It seems he had a problematical private life as well as a problematical career according to this interesting and unsensational bio—
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZxoQE-htS0

I have to say that I think Donat's rather short role in Winslow is the best in his self-stifled, truncated career
    Last edited by IlllIIllllIIii; 27-02-15 at 09:51 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes. It seems he had a problematical private life as well as a problematical career according to this interesting and unsensational bio—
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZxoQE-htS0

I have to say that I think Donat's rather short role in Winslow is the best in his self-stifled, truncated career
    Oh God, that bio... To be taken with a massive grain of salt. I've done a ton of reading on Donat, been in contact with his son, managed with my friend Robert Donat.com. As far as I'm concerned all attempts to psychoanalyze the man posthumously, as well as attribute his asthma to a psychological cause (it's a legit illness, that was sometimes seen as psychosematic in the dark days when there weren't effective drugs for the disease) is to be viewed with suspicion. Even if his illnesses were brought on by psychological problems there is a tone of judgement, of victim blaming in that doc that gets right up my nose. The man was genuinely ill. He'd lost so much weight before his peformances in Romeo and Juliette that he had to wear a padded costume.
    Sorry, you've touched a nerve there..
    I think Donat had many wonderful roles: Winslow Boy, The Citadel, Chips, 39 Steps, The Young Mr. Pitt are all top notch. Even lesser material like Knight without Armour, The Adventures of Tartu, The Magic Box and The Ghost Goes West comes alive when he's onscreen.

Liked
    0 times
    ^

He had a beautiful speaking voice (I purchased that Decca recording of his of poetry and Bible readings many, many years ago).

But do you think he was physically attractive?

Liked
    0 times
    ^

He had a beautiful speaking voice (I purchased that Decca recording of his of poetry and Bible readings many, many years ago).

But do you think he was physically attractive?
    Oh he's a dreamboat! His voice was a big part of the attraction, I admit. But he was very handsome and he had that lovely curly dark hair.

I listen to his poetry readings on youtube quite a bit. I haven't heard him read the Bible though. I could use some moral guidance, anyway, right? I have an audio wishlist for RD and I'll add that to it!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

Richard Palmer as Ronnie Winslow, Peter Cushing as Sir Robert Morton and in the background Gwen Watford as Catherine Winslow in the BBC's 1958 version of THE WINSLOW BOY.

The Times review of it on 14th March 1958 said:

Mr. Cartier's deliberately suave production laid out the play for inspection . . . he avoided commentary by the camera and entrusted the play to his excellent cast. Mr. Peter Cushing played Morton without the savagery associated with the part; it was an icy and mercurial performance which preserved the character's paradoxical combination of ruthlessness and gentle reserve.

Cushing himself praised Gwen Watford and said that "Nora Swinburne (as Grace Winslow) and John Robinson were . . . outstandingly good."
    A marvelous still, Gerald, and thanks for uploading it. I would love to see the performances in this version. What a pity that it fell victim to the 'throw it all in the skip' brigade at the BBC.

Liked
    98 times
    The latest vintage 8 x 10 press still from The Winslow Boy to arrive in my collection. Ronnie Winslow (Neil North) poses for
    a newspaper photograph in the living room of his home with his parents (Sir Cedric Hardwicke and Marie Lohr).

Liked
    0 times
    ^ That's a hilarious scene with Mona Washbourne playing Mrs Barnes the thick-headed, gushing 'woman journalist' from The Daily News.

She says 'My paper sends me out on stories which have a special appeal to women— stories with a little heart, you know, like this one— a father's fight for his little son's honour'.

But she is clearly more interested in Grace Winslow's furnishings and the silk curtains.

Liked
    98 times
    And Sir Cedric looks like he wishes they'd hurry up and get it over with.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    ... Sir Cedric...
    It's good to see him in a starring role (and with such a good toup�e). He starred in so many movies in his last two decades but so many were trifling ones.

I am reading Rattigan's playscript for The Winslow Boy now and am realising that while Ronnie Winslow is the title role, it is Sir Cedric's role as Arthur Winslow that is the central role.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Arthur Winslow is in the film more than Ronnie, too, although Ronnie naturally has an important part in the proceedings. I am expecting another vintage British press still from the film to arrive next week from America and then that will be the last I am sending for from this film for now. It takes time to get them one at a time, but if I sent for them all in one go, I'd have to pay a lot of customs import duty on them and would also have to traipse across to the Royal Mail sorting office to pay the duty on them, plus a big handling charge. So it's easier for me to send for them individually at the rate of one per week. Sending for them individually means that the price of each still is just under the limit at which I'd have pay customs charges. I wouldn't have this problem if I could buy the stills in this country, but they're rarer than hens teeth over here. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    kathleen harrison as the maid violet gave a wonderful cast body and the best wimslow boy ever made
    kathleen a very private victorian lady even lying about her aged was worried that people did not like her
    noel coward said when he was directing her quote Darling if you were to cut up a baby on stage they would still love you

Liked
    98 times
    A memorable performance by Kathleen was as Mrs Gibbons in the comedy Mrs Gibbons Boys (1962), which hasn't been shown on television since 1973 and has never had a video or DVD release. It's about time some company like Network sorted that out.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    Was there not another version of 'The Winslow Boy' with the late Alan Badel playing Sir Robert Morton ? I am sure I recall seeing it some time ago.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimuae View Post
    Was there not another version of 'The Winslow Boy' with the late Alan Badel playing Sir Robert Morton ? I am sure I recall seeing it some time ago.
    BBC "Play of the Month: The Winslow Boy"

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    The latest vintage 8 x 10 press still from The Winslow Boy to arrive in my collection,
    showing Margaret Leighton; Neil North; Jack Watling; Sir Cedric Hardwicke and Marie Lohr in a family publicity pose.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Thank you!

Junior Member Country: United States David Zellaby's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, darrenburnfan, for reminding me of this page (I had gotten away from it ages ago, due to a million distractions) and for posting all of these wonderful stills. I envy you, your collection. I have quite a bit of catching up to do!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast