Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Hammer classic starring Peter Cushing gets an airing on BBC2 at 1.20 AM on Saturday Feb 21.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to the heads up

Haven't seen this since a late night BBC 2 screening decades ago. I like Nigel Kneale's intelligent approach to horror an awful lot, this isn't one of his best but it's pretty good

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I wonder why they're showing it in the early hours of the morning when most people are asleep? I don't think they put old cinema films up on i-player, do they? and not everyone has the equipment that can be set to record programmes at a certain time in the early hours. Luckily, I already have the film on DVD.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Strangely enough, I can access films on my computer I-Player, but not through my Tivo box I-Player the last time I tried, although that was a long time ago - maybe its changed since. I do like the Abominable Snowman - it has a great soundtrack, and you do get to see the monster !.

Senior Member Country: England Nakke's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    No, they do have old films on iplayer.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakke View Post
    No, they do have old films on iplayer.
    Yes indeed. Quite often the crop of late-night BBC2 films recently,do get sent to the i-player for second showing. Of late, the 1940s "Saint" productions usually 6.00 am on BBC1 or 2 have been frequent re-plays.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    I wonder why they're showing it in the early hours of the morning when most people are asleep? I don't think they put old cinema films up on i-player, do they? and not everyone has the equipment that can be set to record programmes at a certain time in the early hours. Luckily, I already have the film on DVD.
    Perhaps they've heard the weather forecast and know something we don't !!!!.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Could be, cassidy. There's plenty of snow in it, both of the real and fake variety.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I hope they have the original Scope print to show.

I don't mind films being shown at obscure times. The BBC have an excellent webpage listing all the films coming up in the next fortnight
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/form...dules/upcoming
    I reference it a lot. If I spot an interesting movie, I just record it.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Thank for the info - its a very under-rated, compelling film - with chilling Hitchcockian suspense.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    It would be interesting to hear from people who saw the source, the TV play The Creature (1955) for a compare & contrast. I assume the play has long been wiped (if ever telerecorded as probably performed live)?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Yes - I am pretty certain the BBC play has been wiped as it has never turned up. Stanley Baker played the Forest Tucker part. I don't think Cushing's character had a wife in the BBC production.

I don't rate this. It's too theatrical, obviously filmed on unconvincing studio sets and has some stupid title creatures. Although often described as 'intelligent' the concept that half a dozen yeti are hiding in the snowy wastes waiting for mankind to kill themselves yet are so incompetent that they get seen and for one of their limited number to be killed never seemed very 'intelligent' to me. Plus we are meant to view the creatures as benevolent yet they gratuitously murder several people.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    The BBC transmission was an excellent 2.35:1 print in HD. As for the film, it's always been a favourite of mine, very atmospheric. First saw it on TV in 1968 and haven't been in a tent since!