Liked
    0 times
    Mystery Musical - 1.pngMystery Musical - 2.pngMystery Musical - 3.pngMystery Musical - 4.pngMystery Musical - 5.png

Hello All!

Can anyone tell me the name of the programme shown in the pictures above?

It was a Sci-Fi musical and all seemed to take place in one set with a large oval window or telescreen dominating the rear of the stage. At some point a character is seen on this screen floating in space having, I think, been cast out from the group. There might have been a religious parable/theme involved too.

My memory of watching it (in the mid to late seventies) is very hazy. Indeed, until a few years ago when I saw a clip from it played under the end credits of a programme about bad TV Sci-Fi (HOW TO BE SCI-FI with Nigel Planer), I'd come to believe I must have dreamt it.

I'm completely new to this (or any other) forum so please feel free to let me know if I've dropped any clangers.

Putting this question in here may be my first as it's clearly not a film, but I didn't see a category specifically for help naming TV programmes.

My thanks in advance for any help.

CR

Liked
    80 times
    Could it be this - Orion (1979)?:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422894/

One of the lead actors is Richard Barnes. Your second photograph does look something like an actor called Richard Barnes who forum member Wearysloth has on his website:

E.

Liked
    80 times
    Another actor in the production was Richard Kates. He has a website here:

http://www.richardkates.com/newsite/?page_id=23

He has a screencap from the show on there.

E.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Richard Barnes (on the right here) as a crewman in another 1979 science fiction production:

In "Nightmare of Eden" Part One from DOCTOR WHO. The other crewman is Mark Kirby.

Liked
    0 times
    Stone me! Well, That's that solved in double quick time.

I just popped back in here to mooch about a bit, get a better feel for the place. Certainly not in the expectation that the solution to a 35+ year mystery awaited me. Bit anti-climactic :-)

Thanks, Euryale and Gerald Lovell! I've checked the sites, the pictures, the faces, the plot, ORION it undoubtedly was.

Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckRose View Post
    Stone me! Well, That's that solved in double quick time.

I just popped back in here to mooch about a bit, get a better feel for the place. Certainly not in the expectation that the solution to a 35+ year mystery awaited me. Bit anti-climactic :-)

Thanks, Euryale and Gerald Lovell! I've checked the sites, the pictures, the faces, the plot, ORION it undoubtedly was.
    Glad we were able to help! Richard Barnes was mainly a stage actor in musicals such as Jesus Christ Superstar and Chess. He had a brief pop career around 1970, releasing a couple of singles Take to the Mountains and Go North, which you can see him singing on Youtube.

Richard Barnes

E.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Euryale View Post
    Glad we were able to help! Richard Barnes was mainly a stage actor in musicals such as Jesus Christ Superstar and Chess. He had a brief pop career around 1970, releasing a couple of singles Take to the Mountains and Go North, which you can see him singing on Youtube.

Richard Barnes

E.

Thanks for the further info, Euryale. I might give Take to the Mountains and Go North a go sometime when I'm in a more masochistic mood. I enjoy the odd musical, but the seventies stuff is just wretched.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the further info, Euryale. I might give Take to the Mountains and Go North a go sometime when I'm in a more masochistic mood. I enjoy the odd musical, but the seventies stuff is just wretched.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Egads! - it was apparently written by Melvyn Bragg!

Liked
    0 times
    That surprised me too, agutterfan, but his CV does include THE MUSIC LOVERS, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR and 2ND HOUSE so I suppose it's not that out there.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Take To The Mountains and Go North are SUPERB- both slices of classic soft UK psych-pop ala the Zombies/Colin Blunstone, Chad & Jeremy, Barry Ryan, Tommy Roe, David Garrick, early Cat Stevens...prior to his solo career, which was admittedly a bit too late for that kind of music, he had also been in a rather good beat band called The Quiet Five, who had a minor hit with 'When The Morning Sun Dries The Dew'

Take To The Mountains was written by a mate of mine, Tony Hazzard, who also wrote Fox On The Run for Manfred Mann and a couple of hits for Honeybus, if my memory serves me correctly.