Member Country: Norway
    Liked
    0 times
    In 1966 or 1967 I watched a crime film on TV. I am uncertain whether it was British or German. Here is the story: An old woman is killed by a man with a cat mask. When the police assembles the suspects the old woman's cat recognizes the killer. I believe he was her nephew or grandson. Can you name it?
    Last edited by Mbakkel2; 09-03-15 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Better word

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It doesn't go exactly that way, but it sort of sounds like THE SHADOW OF THE CAT.

Liked
    0 times
    Also somewhat similar to THE BLACK CAT (1941)

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, but this was a short made for TV film. Seldom seen, I might say.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    But Shadow of the Cat has a similar plot

There's also another film called "Who Killed the Cat " (B&W with Mary Merrall & Natasha Pyne)

Early 60s , I think ?

Liked
    0 times
    The last film you wrote about had its opening night in 1966. It is unlikely that it was shown on Swedish TV the same year or the year after. I must, however, notify that the film probably never was shown theatrically. Its length was 20-30 minutes. An old white-haired lady loved her cat. In the night she was murdered by a man. The only witness was her cat. The following day the police assembled various persons, and the cat got mad at the perpetrator. A short-haired (fair) man in his 20's or more probably his 30's.

Liked
    0 times
    You should have mentioned from the start it wasn't a movie. Crime film implies a feature.

Liked
    0 times
    To me all stories shot on film stock are films. I did not label it as a feature. Today many TV shows are shot on videotape. Naturally, I should have informed you initially that it was a short film. It is difficult to remember in detail a film you have seen nearly 50 years ago as a child (4, 5 or 6 years old). The perception of a film's length is often subject to a faded memory. The film could have been a feature, and that my remembrance of some key scenes have lead to the impression that it was a short film. That is probably the reason why I did not label it as a short film in the beginning. Honestly, I don't think it was a feature. I remember how we got introduced to the old woman. I think there were other ladies there too. Then the murder by the eerie cat villain. Finally, the arrest of the perpetrator. It is naturally the cat's recognition of the killer that has caused that I still recall it. As a child you don't know how intelligent a pet can be.
    Last edited by Mbakkel2; 10-03-15 at 11:59 PM.