Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    https://youtu.be/1B4PkbqLlPs
    This clip - with the car going off a hill. It seems to be 70s in origin, judging by stock.
    Anyone know where it comes from?

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    THE BARON: And Suddenly You're Dead (Cyril Frankel: January 1966)

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/about.htm#bet

Actually a joint venture between THE SAINT and THE BARON which shared footage from the shoot. A white Jaguar was also thrown into the quarry.
    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 15-04-15 at 07:28 PM.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    This reminds me of a film I saw as a nine year old boy at my local ABC way, way back in 1956. It was a British second feature entitled Assignment Redhead. It's a scene I've never forgotten. The baddies have shot this man and placed his body in a modern, 1956, Hillman Minx car and push it over a cliff with the man's body in it. But when we see a shot of the car going over the edge of the cliff from below, it isn't the new Hillman, but a 1940s American car of the type Humphrey Bogart used to drive in films like The Big Sleep. I noticed the difference straight away and still remember this nearly 60 years later!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    The famous white Jaguar going over a cliff, that was used in a number of ITC productions in the 1960s, I remember it well. Another case of wanton destruction that sticks in the mind from my childhood was an episode of Z-Cars where a bunch of vandals firstly smashed both headlights then overturned a Sunbeam Rapier. I remember being outraged! I think that's why even now I refuse to find gratuitous destruction either entertaining or amusing. Yes I'm looking at you Top Gear.
    Last edited by alan gowdy; 15-04-15 at 11:00 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan gowdy View Post
    The famous white Jaguar going over a cliff, that was used in a number of ITC productions in the 1960s, I remember it well. Another case of wanton destruction that sticks in the mind from my childhood was an episode of Z-Cars where a bunch of vandals firstly smashed both headlights then overturned a Sunbeam Rapier. I remember being outraged! I think that's why even now I refuse to find gratuitous destruction either entertaining or amusing. Yes I'm looking at you Top Gear.
    I'm not into cars (I don't drive), and so consequently never watch Top Gear, but even I was outraged when some clip show included bits of the episode where Clarkson deliberately over-turned a Reliant Robin at just about every bend he came to. It just seemed a total waste, and designed to piss-off enthusiasts of the marque.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    It always used to amuse me watching (relatively low budget) British television programmes that if a character was seen driving a clapped-out old banger, you knew it was going to be trashed at some point in the storyline.

Liked
    7 times
    I suspect those who enjoy seeing things being trashed - whether cars or grand pianos - are the same people who burned insects to death with the sun and a magnifying glass when they were kids.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    This reminds me of a film I saw as a nine year old boy at my local ABC way, way back in 1956. It was a British second feature entitled Assignment Redhead. It's a scene I've never forgotten. The baddies have shot this man and placed his body in a modern, 1956, Hillman Minx car and push it over a cliff with the man's body in it. But when we see a shot of the car going over the edge of the cliff from below, it isn't the new Hillman, but a 1940s American car of the type Humphrey Bogart used to drive in films like The Big Sleep. I noticed the difference straight away and still remember this nearly 60 years later!
    Before . . .

And after . . .

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    Before . . .

And after . . .
    Stockshot!

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, that's the scene. Very noticeable, isn't it?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    You have to admit, some cars are just asking for it ......................fawlty car.jpg

Liked
    98 times
    That scene from Fawlty Towers was based on a real event as told by John Howard Davies, who related how Robert Newton, in the late 1940s, used to give his car a good thrashing with a bullwhip whenever it broke down on him and shout "Right, you've asked for it and now you're going to get it!"

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    Robert Newton driving? I'd like to see that!

While filming a TV series in Australia in 1954 he had a clause in his contract banning him from boozing while on Oz soil. When he had day or two to himself he caught the next flight to NZ or Fiji. He was blotto 5mins after the wheels lifted off. A round trip for a DC6 in those days was 18hrs.
    Last edited by Ana Logue; 27-05-15 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Liked
    98 times
    That would have been The Adventures of Long John Silver, which he made after the feature film Long John Silver, which was the first CinemaScope picture to be filmed in Australia. In both feature film and television series, he reprised his Walt Disney role from five years earlier and was constantly swigging rum on camera and, knowing dear old Robert, it was probably real rum.

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    (Getting a tad off-thread ... sorry OP.)

There're some details here: http://www.classicaustraliantv.com/advljs.htm
    A budget of $1M USD was certainly the big league, particularly for TV. The TV series was not shown until after Newton's death. His contracts would certainly have stipulated no boozing. He was declared bankrupt by UK court at that time, so I guess he returned directly to the US and stayed there.