Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    The You ask us column towards the back of Radio Times points out that:
    Intriguingly, this 24-hour archive channel, which launch on Freeview HD on 22 September, is a small family company run from a base in Hertfordshire by just three people: MD Sarah, her husband Neil Stanley and Sarah's dad Noel Cronin.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I have an excellent Freeview signal from the Fenton transmitter, which is only a mile away as the crow flies, but I've just pressed channel 81, which is the Talking Pictures channel, and it's blank.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    I have an excellent Freeview signal from the Fenton transmitter, which is only a mile away as the crow flies, but I've just pressed channel 81, which is the Talking Pictures channel, and it's blank.
    How do you receive Freeview? By an integrated TV or by a set top box? You need to have a Freeview HD decoder, if you haven't got one.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    It's integrated into my LCD wide screen television, Rob, as the set is only two years old. As channel 81 has only been on Freeview for two months, I'll probably need to retune. I can get all the other Freeview channels okay.

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Interesting to read your replies guys - thanks for them. Looks like channel 81 is the weakest Freeview signal here on the Lancashire coast as I have no problem with any other.

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    My TV is some 3 years old - OK for Freeview or even FreeSat but not Freeview HD. I'm not ready to shell out on a new TV so have gone for the option of a Freeview HD set top box. Curry's seem to be on an information harvesting mission - "can't open the till without your name and post code -it's illegal" so needless to say I went elsewhere. I bought a Manhattan, but other brands are available. The aerial goes into the set top box which itself is linked to the TV by a HDMI cable. I set the TV to HDMI and up came channel 81. I can only record what's on the screen but it's a satisfactory start.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    The You ask us column towards the back of Radio Times points out that:
    Intriguingly, this 24-hour archive channel, which launch on Freeview HD on 22 September, is a small family company run from a base in Hertfordshire by just three people: MD Sarah, her husband Neil Stanley and Sarah's dad Noel Cronin.

Steve
    Just been reading about them. Dad worked for Rank Organisation then as an editor at COI before starting Dandelion Films and Renown Pictures, which bought up a back catalogue of many British films.
    They used to sell these to other broadcasters but as the demand declined, they decided to start their own channel.
    They are also looking into broadcasting vintage adverts during the intermission if they can get the rights.
    Sarah (36) also runs a vintage ice cream van!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    All power to them.without their channel there would be few films to watch on tv

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    All power to them.without their channel there would be few films to watch on tv
    Yes indeed, Good luck to them.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Yes indeed, Good luck to them.
    That's a plus one from me.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Sonny MacGregor View Post
    "can't open the till without your name and post code -it's illegal"
    Balderdash and piffle! This requirement of The Wireless Telegraphy Act was withdrawn in 2013.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Sonny MacGregor View Post
    "can't open the till without your name and post code -it's illegal"
    Balderdash and piffle! This requirement of The Wireless Telegraphy Act was withdrawn in 2013.
    It depends on why they are asking for them. But I would ask under which law it's illegal

Steve

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    There are a couple of CFF films listed for next week, The Salvage Gang and The Boy Who Turned Yellow. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Liked
    4 times
    I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer, but if anyone is looking for a decent Freeview HD box, then I can recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB41...ust+dvb+400+hd

The EPG is a bit basic, but the particular feature that I like is the ability to record programmes via a USB key or USB external drive. Many PVRs can record, but you can't transfer the recordings elsewhere - with the August box, you can transfer the recordings to a PC to edit/store/watch with software like VLC. They record in the format .mts, which VLC recognises, and so do some media players. A typical feature film takes up about 1 gb of file space. I've already recorded over 100 films for later viewing - the only problem now being to find the time to watch them!

Liked
    4 times
    My apologies, the August model I have is the DVB400, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o05_s00 not the one I linked to above. Not sure of the differences between them.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been watching this channel on a Windows 7 PC with a Freeview HD USB stick tuner, using Windows Media Centre. Only problem I've had is that the WMC EPG doesn't display the schedule for the channel. The way I've found round this is to set WMC to manually schedule recordings while I'm out or asleep. This is a bit hit and miss, especially at the beginning of the recording.

Puzzlingly, the EPG on our big Panasonic Freeview HD TV includes the schedule for Talking Pictures, so I don't know why I can get it on one but not the other.

Does anyone else watch it through their PC?

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    I've been watching this channel on a Windows 7 PC with a Freeview HD USB stick tuner, using Windows Media Centre. Only problem I've had is that the WMC EPG doesn't display the schedule for the channel. The way I've found round this is to set WMC to manually schedule recordings while I'm out or asleep. This is a bit hit and miss, especially at the beginning of the recording.

Puzzlingly, the EPG on our big Panasonic Freeview HD TV includes the schedule for Talking Pictures, so I don't know why I can get it on one but not the other.

Does anyone else watch it through their PC?
    I noticed the lack of EPG for Talking Pictures, so I thought of making manual "channel and time" recording in WMC. And it didn't work: the recording never started when it got to the time that I'd set. I went so far as to install Next PVR (which has a painful UI and has no "are you sure" checks when you are about to delete an existing recording or cancel one that you have scheduled). Then something made me try WMC again. And all the recordings I've scheduled since then have recorded fine - it's just recording Clash by Night right now as I'm writing.

I think the problem with WMC is that for DVB-T2 (mostly HD channels, but also sub-SD channels like Talking Pictures) WMC cannot be configured to use the listings that are embedded into the broadcast data, and can only use ones provided online by the hard-coded listings supplier - which doesn't include Talking Pictures. Any device or software which uses broadcast EPG will work fine.

When setting a manual recording I always start 5 mins early and finish 10 mins last of the published times, and use VideoRedo to trim off the excess as well as to take out the commercials.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    I noticed the lack of EPG as well. I couldn't record in WMC even with a USB, and as for DVB-2T as far as I know is that all I could get is F-ALL as I don't have HD on my Freeview !!!

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    I noticed the lack of EPG as well. I couldn't record in WMC even with a USB, and as for DVB-2T as far as I know is that all I could get is F-ALL as I don't have HD on my Freeview !!!
    When you say "I don't have HD on my Freeview" do you mean that your USB adaptor is DVB-T rather than DVB-T2 or do you mean that your local transmitter doesn't broadcast the HD multiplex that contains Talking Pictures? I'm lucky that I live within range of a main transmitter with all (8, I think, now) multiplexes, rather thana relay that has "Freeview Lite" - just a few of the more important ones.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately the ads pay for the service, nothing is for nothing in this enlightening age.
    I am enjoying the channel very much every day I check to what is coming. Things that occur to me about these film..... how gorgeous the leading ladies are, the fact that I am always seeing cars that I have owned over the years and wish I could have them back. The company at the time must have been tied to Roots Group. I get a special jolt when I see my Zodiac on the screen ( not the actual one). Those Humbers look so special. You can have trouble telling the model of today's vehicles. OH! and policemen on the
    beat wearing their helmets properly.
    Last edited by JRK; 29-11-15 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Bad spelling!

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast