Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Talking Pictures is now on Freeview. Compared to the channel on satellite via Sky, the picture seems slightly softer and has less contrast but it doesn't have the fuzzy distortion (due to compression artefacts) which is very noticeable on the satellite channel.

Liked
    2 times
    Agreed, the Freeview picture is more natural than Sky's overblown picture. But the general output of this channel would greatly benefit by them lowering the brightness or gamma across the board. This would make everything much more watchable.

Liked
    22 times
    Cannot compare with Sky, but the freeview quality for Talking Pictures tv is excellent in Portsmouth so I'm more than happy! They seem to have been able to sell advertising space, which is a good thing as it will make the channel profitable and help to ensure its long term viability.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Wonderful channel. It's like a time warp back to the fifties, watching all the location filming.
    I just hope Virgin eventually pick it up, would be great to be able to pause and record stuff

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    I've just bought a Smart television set with built-in HD freeview so was interested in seeing Talking Pictures TV on it as opposed to the Sky transmissions - but it isn't happening. Channel 81 is missing from the tv Guide List and I don't know why. I've done a factory reset and channel retuning but there is nothing between channels 78 and 101. Very puzzling - never had a problem with Freeview channels before.

Liked
    2 times
    Check your postcode here and see if your transmitter sends out Channel 81: http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability
    Where I live I'm right in the middle of two transmitters. The Wrekin doesn't broadcast Channel 81 but Sutton Coldfield does.

Liked
    0 times
    I spoke to them today they are a really friendly and genuine enthusiasts and i was told that only HD Freeview boxes can receive this lovely channel as at present the only platform available was HD Freeview.Why oh Why have the broadcasting authorities allowed freeview to be clogged up with so many absolute shite channels leaving a really outstanding channel like this in a HD only slot. It restricts me to watch them on my Panasonic HW120 digibox recorder,and renders my several other non HD compatible boxes and recorder redundant re this channel

Liked
    2 times
    So if the only available slot was a Freeview-HD slot, why are TPTV broadcasting in such a low sub-SD quality? Is there any reason why they can't broadcast with a less-compressed and less-overexposed picture? I'd watch this channel much more if it didn't compromise the picture quality as much as it does. Fine on a small TV but poor on a 55" like mine.

Liked
    17 times
    According to the postcode checker I'm supposed to be able to receive 89 standard channels and 14 HD channels but it's not clear to me if channel 81 is included in the 89. Anyway I've e-mailed the Freeview help bods.

Senior Member Country: England ChuckEddie's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnallan View Post
    According to the postcode checker I'm supposed to be able to receive 89 standard channels and 14 HD channels but it's not clear to me if channel 81 is included in the 89. Anyway I've e-mailed the Freeview help bods.
    I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but if you can receive BBC News HD(107)/BBC4 HD(106), you should get Talking Pictures.

Liked
    0 times
    As TPTV is HD only it wont be in the 89 standard channels.

Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckEddie View Post
    I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but if you can receive BBC News HD(107)/BBC4 HD(106), you should get Talking Pictures.
    Mmmm - neither of those channels is listed - just been on Digital UK website - it looks like I need a wideband aerial - once more into to piggybank I think.

Senior Member Country: England ChuckEddie's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Mmmm - neither of those channels is listed - just been on Digital UK website - it looks like I need a wideband aerial - once more into to piggybank I think.
    I've linked the UK Digital Detailed View page, which shows what multiplexes are available from your transmitter (after postcode details answered).

If you don't have Com7 listed, then a new aerial won't make any difference.

It may give details of a future addition of Com7/8, as I don't know if the roll out is still pending.

Another thing to note, is that these multiplexes are low powered and can be 'lost'. I have two transmitters available, Mendip and Wenvoe and strangely I get Com7 from Wenvoe and Com8 from Mendip.

Hope this helps.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragec...x/dummy/NA/yes

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm really enjoying the new Freeview HD channel. Just to point out, that if like us you have YouView (in our case with BT TV) then you should certainly be able to receive Talking Pictures.

Fantastic channel, with new gems every day!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm continuing to enjoy this great channel. But I wonder if it's necessary to broadcast a cancer appeal every time there's a break for commercials.
    Cancer is a dreadful illness/disease, that goes without saying, but the same lengthy advert appears time and time and time again, and you can only watch it so often before compassion fatigue sets in.

Liked
    7 times
    Why not record and then you can delete the commercial breaks before viewing.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum2 View Post
    Why not record and then you can delete the commercial breaks before viewing.
    Or fast forward through them

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Or fast forward through them

Steve
    Yep, there's very little tv that I now watch in real-time. Can't stand adverts. (that goes for those endless Beeb trailers also).

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vanmunchen View Post
    Totally agree. Seeing so many rare films is great. Most of them are never going to look pristine in any case, regardless of transmission quality.

It most certainly is, just watched 'The Challenge' for the very first time, starring the lovely Jayne Mansfield as the get away driver in series of robberies, Anthony Quayle is the other major star, along with many other character actors, including Edward Judd in his prime, has a 12 certificate, probably an X when released in 1960, I understood why by the end of film, some uneasy viewing, especially when John Bennett beats up Barbara Mullen's character, very unpleasant scene.

Liked
    7 times
    What I like about this channel is coming across films that I have never heard of or seen before.Last night I watched Witness In The Dark starring Conrad Phillips,Patricia Dainton ,and in a supporting part Nigel Green.It was an excellent B feature that I had never seen and is well worth a view if and when it is shown again.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast